Best Oddworld game to start with?

GhostHero182

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been meaning to get into the Oddworld series. The first 2 games are on PSN. (I think). New ‘n’ Tasty is on PSN, and the Wii U eShop, also a remastered version of Munch’s Oddysee is on PSN. Which one should I buy first? Also do any of the games have a steep learning curve or are they easy to pick up and play? Also before you comment about the Oddboxx, my PC is super slow and would probably have bad frame rates trying to run Stranger’s Wrath HD or Munch’s Oddysee HD.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
IMHO: The first one (Abe's oddysee). It's on steam as well, and these days it runs on anything.

The remake... It's made well, but they tried to fix something that wasn't broken: the screens. The first two games used static screens you ran in and out of (and contained some sort of puzzles) . The remake attempts something similar with the camera, but it's imho just weird.

Another "problem" is that the first two games were absolute masterpieces (even to this day they're among the best ever made games). The result is that i can't say how well munch oddyssey and strangers wraith really are, as they couldn't be but not live up the expectations. I haven't played them either.

Still... The current -75% price for the oddbox is absolutely worth it. And have you checked the needed specs for the later two? Even wraith is seven years old at this point.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have been meaning to get into the Oddworld series. The first 2 games are on PSN. (I think). New ‘n’ Tasty is on PSN, and the Wii U eShop, also a remastered version of Munch’s Oddysee is on PSN. Which one should I buy first? Also do any of the games have a steep learning curve or are they easy to pick up and play? Also before you comment about the Oddboxx, my PC is super slow and would probably have bad frame rates trying to run Stranger’s Wrath HD or Munch’s Oddysee HD.
I want to say that you should go the way the story goes, so starting with Oddysey, HOWEVER, it can be a bit difficult at times, especially if you are trying to 100%, as the only way to 'save' progress for when you die is to reach a checkpoint. This is what Exoddus fixed, by adding the Quick Save option in the menu, if you die you restart right where you quicksaved, with the counters staying as they were.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd start with the New and Tasty remaster of the very first one. 1 and 2 are side-scrolling puzzle platformers. You are presented with several screens and have an objective and it's then a case of working out how you go about that objective without meeting your demise. Starting at 1 eases you into the aesthetic of Oddworld and the quirkiness. Munch's Odysee is kind of what Mario 64 is to 2D Mario. It's familiar, yet different in the sense the playing field is opened up and you have new camera angles to contend with. Stranger's Wrath is really it's own thing, it cannot be compared to any of the others as the gameplay style is vastly different. The world is familiar and the humor and characters are similar but it's strictly a bounty hunter style game, with less emphasis on puzzles and more emphasis on battles and capturing and selecting the right kind of live ammunition to use against whomever the bounty may be or situation you might be presented with. As I say, I would start right back at the beginning. The learning curve with the Oddworld games has always been fine, but the 2nd game requires some prior knowledge as it's a direct sequel to the first.

Last edited by GunzOfNavarone,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: hiiii sisters