Hacking Best memory brand for R4i??

LiLextreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to posting here but have been reading the forums for a while whenever I have/had problems with my DS cards or just lookng for advice and enjoy the site a lot but I have a question. I couldn't seem to find my answer doing a search... so I'm going to ask.

I am interested in getting either 16 GB or 32 GB memory for my R4i-SDHD card but I'm not sure which one is the best or if it makes a difference.
I have been using a SanDisk 8GB memory card which was previously used in my CycloDS and it works pretty well in both cards. I just need more room so I don't have to change card as often.

Is there a better one to use that will give less problems? I saw Kingston memory but it seems very expensive. Is that because it is better? Anyone have any advice?

Also, are there any good places to buy from that have reasonable prices and accept PayPal preferably?

Thanks in Advance!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you tried trimming your ROMs to reduce their space?

Samsung are pretty decent cards, as they make the memory for them the cards themselves.

If I were to be buying one and lived in the US, i'd get it from NewEgg or GBAtemp's own ShopTemp.

LiLextreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was always afraid to trim them because I didn't want to mess up game and have it not play. Why don't they make them all smaller if it doesn't hurt? LOL

maybe I will try a few. I just don't want to get to the middle of a game and have it not work anymore you know?

I never tried Samsung. Thanks for the response!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As long as you don't trim the DSi Enchanced ROMs you'll be fine, all they are doing is removing the padded space. You'll gain around 20% extra space, all for nothing. Most people then keep the original untrimmed ROM archived on their PC.

LiLextreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do I know which ones are enhanced?
I posted above but you probably missed it.... I just said

I just did a quick check and I don't see any 16 GB Samsung cards. Do they make them?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LiLextreme said:
how do I know which ones are enhanced?
I posted above but you probably missed it.... I just said

I just did a quick check and I don't see any 16 GB Samsung cards. Do they make them?

I use a program called NDScrc, it will rename all your games and package them into archives. If they are DSi enchanced, it will add it to the file name.

Samsung do make them, but i'm not that up on US retailers. http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/01/13/...ontent=Netvibes

Yes, Samsung make them as do Toshiba. Those are the 2 brands I would go for if it were me.

Kingston for example don't manufacturer their own cards, they rebrand cards made by OEM's. The problem is they don't always use the same cards.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would HIGHLY recommend ADATA.

I bought a 4GB Class 6 from Newegg recently. It was within $1 of the cheapest 4GB and the cheapest Class 6.
It has been nothing but good: Fast read, fast write, no issues using/formatting it, and a lifetime warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....4&name=16GB
ADATA 16GB Class 2 for $39.99 ($39.99+Free Shipping) -- Cheapest 16GB
ADATA 16GB Class 6 for $57.99 ($57.99+Free Shipping) -- Cheapest 16GB Class 6

16GB is kind of a lot, I got by for a long time with just 1GB.
ADATA 8GB Class 6 for $23.98 ($20.99+$2.99 Shipping)

For trimming ROMs, I'd suggest using NDSTokyoTrim.
IMO, it's the best and fastest trimmer around, and you don't have to worry about it breaking ROMs (other than the DSi Enhanced ones).

LiLextreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
I would HIGHLY recommend ADATA.

I bought a 4GB Class 6 from Newegg recently. It was within $1 of the cheapest 4GB and the cheapest Class 6.
It has been nothing but good: Fast read, fast write, no issues using/formatting it, and a lifetime warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....4&name=16GB
ADATA 16GB Class 2 for $39.99 ($39.99+Free Shipping) -- Cheapest 16GB
ADATA 16GB Class 6 for $57.99 ($57.99+Free Shipping) -- Cheapest 16GB Class 6

16GB is kind of a lot, I got by for a long time with just 1GB.
ADATA 8GB Class 6 for $23.98 ($20.99+$2.99 Shipping)

For trimming ROMs, I'd suggest using NDSTokyoTrim.
IMO, it's the best and fastest trimmer around, and you don't have to worry about it breaking ROMs (other than the DSi Enhanced ones).

what's the difference in class 6? Is it fast or runs better?
newegg is perfect,,,,gonna check memory
THANX!

I am using 8 GB right now and it is getting a little tight.
I like to load my card with games, movies, and audio... so I have a lot of choices when I am not near my computer.
I think 16 GB would be perfect!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LiLextreme said:
THANX!

I like to load my card with games, movies, and audio... so I have a lot of choices when I am not near my computer.
Class is the speed rating. Higher the class, the higher the speed.
The difference between Class 2 and 4 is admittedly small, as is the difference between 4 and 6.
In many games, it would be pretty difficult to notice a difference between Class 2 and Class 4 or Class 4 and Class 6. But DON'T let people tell you there is no difference between them for Flashcarts.

Where the Class 6's really 'shine' is in the larger games or games with larger saves, like WarioWare D.I.Y. or Pokemon.
A friend of mine bought a 4GB Class 2 to replace his old Class 4 one that broke (physically), the first thing he noticed was how slow saving in Pokemon was and that there was a pause when going in/out/changing maps. He tried a 2GB Class 4 and the pauses were gone.
Both cards were the same brand and formatted using the same format utility.

LiLextreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
LiLextreme said:
THANX!

Class is the speed rating. Higher the class, the higher the speed.
The difference between Class 2 and 4 is admittedly small, as is the difference between 4 and 6.
In many games, it would be pretty difficult to notice a difference between Class 2 and Class 4 or Class 4 and Class 6. But DON'T let people tell you there is no difference between them for Flashcarts.

Where the Class 6's really 'shine' is in the larger games or games with larger saves, like WarioWare D.I.Y. or Pokemon.
A friend of mine bought a 4GB Class 2 to replace his old Class 4 one that broke (physically), the first thing he noticed was how slow saving in Pokemon was and that there was a pause when going in/out/changing maps. He tried a 2GB Class 4 and the pauses were gone.
Both cards were the same brand and formatted using the same format utility.

thanx! i was clueless

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus