Hacking Best Flash Cart for Commercial Gaming?

gameking66

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a DSi and I was wondering what would be the best Flash Cart strictly for Commercial Gaming. I've got a bunch of old NDS games (several dozen), and I just want to be able to get right into my games. I already downloaded all the games I have physical copies of. Is there a flash cart that fits my needs? I'm new to the DSi in general and I hear that NDS games might need patching, and I see that some Flash Carts (iEDGE advertises the feature) include on-the-fly ROM patching.

What Flash Cart would I need?

And are there any expansion-type Flash Carts such as the iPlayer that have SoC features, possibly for future use as I plan on learning the general DSi structure and messing with homebrew, I'd like to get the most out of my DSi, especially if the SoC can be used with commercial games.

I'd also like to be able to run GBA games. I've got a few of those too.

edit: From what I've read, iPlayer seems to be able to run Homebrew, does that make it able to run commercial games?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gameking66 said:
edit: From what I've read, iPlayer seems to be able to run Homebrew, does that make it able to run commercial games?

no, but it can use GBA emulator. (and commercial GBA games w/it)

gameking66

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
gameking66 said:

What makes a flash cart eligible to run commercial games? Is it hardware or software?

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
gameking66 said:
exangel said:
gameking66 said:

What makes a flash cart eligible to run commercial games? Is it hardware or software?

software
smile.gif

and sort of hardware cuz the system must recognize it

gameking66

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have a chance to return my DSi, and I was wondering if I indeed made the right choice getting a DSi as opposed to a lite. From what I read we've yet to have the common-key for the DSi (aside from 1 dev?), so DSi mode is on lockdown and essentially commercial games can't access the mode (or does a Flash Cart have a way around that?). Did I make the right choice getting a DSi, or is there no difference when playing commercial ROMs?, in which case I'd like to return it for a DS lite.

And is the lack of an SD slot in the DS lite negligible? As I see, most flash carts have a micro SD slot, is the DSi's slot even used outside of it's original intents?

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no carts use the DSi SD. Personally I prefer the DS Lite for GBA compatibility and battery life. Plus I can use the rumble pak.

But really its up to you, on what you prefer. If you want to emulate the GBA games (not the same as native support in the DS Lite) your ok for that.

As far as regular DS Roms go both play them the same. How they work depends on the flash cart and software on it (AKAIO vs Acekard offical for example)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Going with that right now with a dental claim morons put the wrong company name and rejected claims been on hold an hour for the claims department
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Even my Xbox One controller I have it paired to my desktop over Bluetooth, it USUALLY works but sometimes it refuses to connect and I have to delete and re-pair it. Maddening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gigabytes built in mobo bt/wifi pairs pretty decent
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's what I'm using :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ran a driver update in device manager?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Not recently but I think it's less a driver issue and more just Windows having a garbage Bluetooth stack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be I was having issues when I first upgraded it and didn't realiser gigabyte has specific driver revisions which is stupid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Which is married to the boards revision
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Made my first review
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of keyboards and mice. It just stays put.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    tldr usb > bluetooth imo
    +1
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: tldr usb > bluetooth imo +1