Hacking Best Flash Card Options?

WiiFit_Guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Nintendo DS original (grey). I really want to get a Flash cart for my GBA games. Though I hear that it is really hard to find a good working one. I hear about DS Super Card 2, but I really want good speed, no slowdowns and overall an authentic expericance (hence Im leaning towards something like a EZ Flash 4). I was wandering if anyone can please suggest me a good brand (GBA Flash) or their opinion and a link to a good trustworthy store.

Another thing is that I also want to be able to play my Gameboy/GBC roms. I heard of EverDrive GB. Although expensive, I guess thats the price I have to pay for good quality/lack of good working GBC flash carts in 2015. I would buy a Gameboy SP, since DS doesnt play Gameboy games.

Though I do find that it would probably be a good idea to just maybe buy a PSP Go instead and have both GBC and GBA along with NES/SNES and N64 emualtors. Though the their goes the authentic experience on playing on an actual Gameboy Color/GBA/DS.

Summery:

-Want to buy a flashcart for GBA games for my DS.
-Also a flash cart for GBC games.
-Thinking its just easier to buy a PSP Go for emulation, though authenticity is lost.

Thank You

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
ez iv is the best one that is available. its really great....
for GBC games you need to get a GBC flashcart, like everdrive.. you can use goomba emulator to run on ez iv (its a gbc emulator for gba) but i heard its not that great...
everdrive GB, is good but expensive...
as for the ez iv, i think its a really good card and for average price.. (i am ok at paying 50 for a card, but nothing more..)

psp is a very good ideia... i remember playing pokemon emerald on it, it was damn good..

if you preefer the real things, get GBA SP..
if you preefer to don't spend a lot of money and want to be portable\hate to have 1 device for a single thing, get the psp.. the emulators are not bad...

Reactions: WiiFit_Guy

sudosilman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have also been looking to get into the DS Flash Card arena, and i have learned that the SuperCard DSTWO is the best flashcard on the market with its own RAM and CPU for better emulation.​
Unfortunately it looks like every single place i have looked is completely sold out of this card and i dont know where to get them​

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your best bet is an EZ-Flash IV. They've actually come out of hiding and are updating their software and firmware, becoming the first GBA cart to allow microSD cards larger than 2 GB (most carts are not SDHC-compatible, that didn't come until the DS era). It's also the only one you're reasonably going to find nowadays, conveniently enough. I don't know where exactly to find one, but you're in the right section of the forum for searching that out.

You could go for an Everdrive GB or something similar, but be prepared to pay a lot. Instead, I would go ahead and give Goomba Color a try, to see if it works well with the games you want to play. I don't know what the person above is talking about, it's very compatible with almost every game nowadays and even supports savestates in the latest update. See http://gbatemp.net/threads/still-working-on-goomba-color.373395/ for the latest version of that. You can either use the Goomba Frontend to make your compilation or, if you're familiar with the command line, run the following line of code to create a compilation:
Code:
copy /b goomba.gba + *.gb + *.gbc OUTPUT.gba
(you can even copy and paste that line into Notepad, save it as "go.bat", and double-click it and the code will run and produce your output file for you).

Run the resulting file in VBA or whatever your preferred GBA emulator is, and give it a try. L+R brings up the menu where you can change control settings and manage saves and such.

I completely understand if you'd prefer to go with a real GBC flash cart for the truly authentic experience. I'm just saying that for me at least, Goomba Color worked great with all the games I wanted to play.

Reactions: WiiFit_Guy

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How concerned should I be about the fact that EZ-Flash cards use a battery for backup? I'm concerned this will die a few years down the line and I'll have to resolder a new one. Is this unavoidable with GBA carts?

It's tempting to wait for the Everdrive GBA but its essentially vapourware at the moment.

160R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No problem about saves, when "battery dry" displays in EZ IV, battery is not totally dead, so you can copy the save to microSD memory, and after replacing hte battery, keep using the old saves :grog:

There is some online store selling them with an additional replacement battery. They do worldwide shipping and accept credit card payment.

tvoretz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you aren't comfortable soldering in a new battery, you could soft reset back to the EZ-Flash's menu whenever you're done playing a game. You'll have to wait for the game to save, but you won't have to depend on the cart's battery for power.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So the battery saving is only necessary if you don't want to exit to the menu first? Seems like doing that woulde be a much better idea that using the battery power.

My soldering skills are terrible but I'm sure I could solder a battery. I just don't like the idea of essentially ticking time bombs in cartridges. It wouldn't be so bad if they were socketed rather than soldered.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the battery saving is only necessary if you don't want to exit to the menu first? Seems like doing that woulde be a much better idea that using the battery power.

My soldering skills are terrible but I'm sure I could solder a battery. I just don't like the idea of essentially ticking time bombs in cartridges. It wouldn't be so bad if they were socketed rather than soldered.

If you want, you can solder in a holder, so swapping out batteries in the future will be much easier. Heck, I was thinking about making a new housing for mine that would allow me to slide the battery in and out without having to open it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: yes