Hacking Best flash card for playing DS games on 3DS?

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Stay away from those R4 cards, kept erasing my save on Mario & Luigi brothers in time, freezing constantly on Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Glitching on Bravely Default 0 (Final Fantasy 4 heroes), I'm done with it, it's a waste of time and money. It's good for super casuals who play Mario Kart and not much else.

Now I got an used DS Two and I'm in heaven.
Which R4 clone did you get?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for that info, it's been really helpful. I've been thinking for a while of getting a more up to date flashcard to replace my almost 10 year old M3 DS Real. I did like the look of the Acekard as it's supposed to be really good on the battery, however that doesn't work on the 3DS from what i gather so the R4i Gold seems a great alternative I can use on any DS or 3DS console.

It's also $36 cheaper than the DSTWO which a lot of people seem to recommend (apparently the DSTWO has bad battery life when used on a DSi / 3DS too)

Out of curiosity what is the battery life like on the console you use it on?
The DSTWO was a great cart and still has features like freecheat that allow real-time game modifications. But the extra hard more than halves your system's battery like and the GBA/SNES emulation aren't as good as VC injections.
The R4i Gold drains about the same amount of battery life as a normal DS game. I haven't tested them completely, but I haven't experienced any major loss in battery life since owning one.
Stay away from those R4 cards, kept erasing my save on Mario & Luigi brothers in time, freezing constantly on Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Glitching on Bravely Default 0 (Final Fantasy 4 heroes), I'm done with it, it's a waste of time and money. It's good for super casuals who play Mario Kart and not much else.

Now I got an used DS Two and I'm in heaven.
Which cart did you have? Because my R4i Gold has never had problems.

Reactions: InsaneNutter

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The DSTWO was a great cart and still has features like freecheat that allow real-time game modifications. But the extra hard more than halves your system's battery like and the GBA/SNES emulation aren't as good as VC injections.
The R4i Gold drains about the same amount of battery life as a normal DS game. I haven't tested them completely, but I haven't experienced any major loss in battery life since owning one.

Which cart did you have? Because my R4i Gold has never had problems.
The R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS is similar in terms of battery time. It doesn't suffer from that issue described by the other user.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS is similar in terms of battery time. It doesn't suffer from that issue described by the other user.
Yeah, that issue sounds like something an older R4 clone would have or an SD issue.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, that issue sounds like something an older R4 clone would have or an SD issue.
I own a number of DS flashcarts, never heard of this issue before. I have used at least a TTDS, R4, R4 Ultra SDHC, and a few more, in addition to the R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS and the R4i Gold 3DS RTS.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I own a number of DS flashcarts, never heard of this issue before. I have used at least a TTDS, R4, R4 Ultra SDHC, and a few more, in addition to the R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS and the R4i Gold 3DS RTS.
It when you get into weird ones like the M3i Zero cloned carts and carts like MARS and shit. Basically bottom of the barrel clones

Reactions: gnmmarechal

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't recommend that site, but even so, that is strange.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

Yeah it got frustrating and I decided that a save file is worth more than 30$ lol.

It's going to be weird but my Wii U died while playing Mario & Luigi Partners in time on Virtual Console since I couldn't play it on my DS, so I sort of blame that R4 card for that even though I can't really correlate.

All and all, I can only recommend this card for super casual gaming.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Foehammer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CycloDS works with NTR Launcher 1.7, but I was getting some weird behavior when I left the cart in my 3DS on boot. R4i Gold 3DS works flawlessly for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol