Best Console Ever?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by fischju, Mar 8, 2008.

?
  1. Magnavox Odyssey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Atari 2600

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mattel Intellivision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ColecoVision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. NES/Famicom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sega Master System

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sega Genesis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Neo Geo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Super Nintendo Entertainment System SNES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 3DO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Playstation 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. N64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Sega Dreamcast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Playstation 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Gamecubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Xbox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Xbox 360

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Wii

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. PS3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bob Evil

Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

Sep 27, 2006
    Out of the corner of your eye
    Best console ever?

Ever ever?

Don't you really mean, "What is the best console so far?" ?

2. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Wii, because it can play the emulators and it has the Smash Brothers, and the Zeldas and Marios.

3. Dylan

Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Mar 7, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I would like to say I voted for xbox 360 but second goes to N64 and third to SNES

4. azotyp

azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2007
    Poland
    Poland
    I vote for game boy (the first one) (oh forgot that it is not on the list).

5. fischju
    OP

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    It may be big enough to quality as a console, but it ran on batteries and couldn't connect to an external screen. Thus, not a console.

6. bosscolor

bosscolor GBAtemp Fan

Dec 4, 2007
    France
    Toulouse
    wii is teh best

7. jtroye32

jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2006
    United States
    Michigan
    Xbox/Xbox360 shouldn't even be on that list since it pretty much failed in Japan. But the Japanese don't know anything about gaming or technology [​IMG]

8. silent sniper

silent sniper !dennaB

Jan 3, 2008
    Canada
    Vancouver, Canada
    snes, 360 or wii... to hard to choose.

9. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    SNES wins and will always win due to the core games that everyone thinks of from that era.

Chrono Trigger (Best RPG Ever, though FF7 comes close)
    Super Metroid (Best 2D Metroid Ever)
    Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Best 2D Zelda Ever)

10. Vater Unser

Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Oct 28, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Pen Island
    Haha....ahahahaha....hahahaHAHAHAHAHA [​IMG]
    Say again?

Can't remember if I already posted in this topic, but anyway:
    My vote goes to the SNES...
    I had the best time with it by far...sooo many AAA games and I still haven't played all of them...plus it still has some of the best games of all time which you can play again and again and again, many of them being even better than you remember them...
    The SNES is the symbol of what gaming should be about...

Personally, I think it's kinda sad to see the Wii coming second place [​IMG]
    Looks like the "Playing is Believing" and "New Generation" brainwashing worked [​IMG]
    Now you could argue that the Wii has all the greatest games from previous Nintendo consoles, but I say it's impossible to enjoy those games the same way you did 10 or 20 years ago, and it's a pretty cheap shot to begin with (mostly because those games are neither new nor exclusive)...
    The Wii does have quite some potential, though, with many Nintendo franchises still not having made their appearance, but we're not there yet...Don't forget that the line-up of 2007 was a fucking drought up until the release of Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy, with one huge delay following the next (Remember how Metroid Prime 3 was supposed to be a launch title and Mario Galaxy was scheduled for Q1 2007?)...and by the look of it there won't be any new (major) announcements (let alone first party games) for three months after the release of Mario Kart, so tough times are once again lying ahead...I think it should be taken into account when a console leaves me un-entertained for months [​IMG]
    As for the motion controls - it sounds great on paper, but in practice...not so much [​IMG]
    Pointing at things and twisting/shaking the controller is not what I'd say makes a new generation of gaming...Not even the most important titles yet are making a particularly good use of the motion controls (To be totally honest, I think Zelda TP is the best example of how not to apply Wii controls to a game [​IMG] )
    I'll not even start talking about the hardware itself at this point [​IMG]
    So no, I don't think the Wii is the best console ever, nor will it be by the end of its lifetime [​IMG]

And there goes another hour wasted on a random rant [​IMG]

11. saulin

saulin GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2003
    The SNES of course!

2D goodness, some of the best games ever were made for it. It killed the Genesis and anything that was out then. I never played a console more than my SNES. I still play a bit of SNES on emulators.

12. OrcMonkey©

OrcMonkey© Banned

Banned
    Aug 5, 2007
    My snes is the best. Snes IS THE BEST!

13. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Snes forever [​IMG]
    Where developers made great games, best pixel'd graphics and great stories so players can enjoy again and again.
    Now it's all about 3D with so so quality and CG (computer graphics, video) first, then playability for kids first, story only at the end.

my order would be : Snes > PS2 > PSX

Lot of RPG on PSX but bad graphics. SNES graphics were way prettier because they worked a lot to make them beautiful. on PSX they thought 3D was enough to enjoy.

Edit :
    I never thought many people liked the Snes so much [​IMG]

14. King Zargo

King Zargo I'm a Star

Aug 29, 2007
    Nepal
    Gamecubs????????? [​IMG]

Its GameCube!!!!

15. gblock247

gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2007
    United States
    K, my vote went to the SNES for the shear amount of great games the system has....(and the fact I'm kicking myself for not going with it instead of the Genesis as my first 16Bit when I was a kid)

But my second place vote goes to the regular Xbox, not for its own game selection, but for the fact that this thing is a BEAST when it's modded...NES, SNES, Genesis, MAME, Neo-Geo, the list goes on and on. and this is the BEST thing I've seen that emulate SNES games PERIOD! My freaking computer has the annoying "lag line"(and it's not even 2 years old) but Xbox SNES emulation is flawless, even on Mario RPG and some of the tougher games to do. Of course when "Darth Vader" aka PS3 gets hacked, it's gonna blow the Xbox out of the f'n water when it comes to emulation, may even get some of those n64 or MAME games that are near impossible to emulate anywhere right now [​IMG]

16. herbinator

herbinator GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2003
    i Loved my pcengine\cd rom machine the first time i played a game where the characters actually all spoke blew my mind. Also u never knew what kind of weirdness u were gonna get from those cute little carts the games came on.
    Shame telegames had the games market for them sewn up 60-70 quid a game the fuckers !!

17. Neko

Neko Been a while.

Dec 5, 2006
    Gambia, The
    #gbatemp.net
    1st would be the 360. After that the snes and the ps1.

The snes was the first console I had.

18. jpxdude

jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2006
    London UK
    Has to be the NES. It's the most inspirational console ever, and no present console would have turned out as it did without it.

[​IMG]

19. Turmoil

Turmoil GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
  20. shtonkalot

shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

May 28, 2006
    Gosford, Australia
    Dreamcast for me. I had it taken apart to fix at a friends and it got thrown out.... [​IMG]

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted