Best compression software

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by GundamXXX, Mar 27, 2010.

Mar 27, 2010

Best compression software by GundamXXX at 8:35 AM (2,140 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. GundamXXX
    OP

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Hi

I need to compress 4.5 gb to 4.4 gb or else it wont fit on a dvd (yea the grand diffrences between what microsoft thinks is a gb and what companies see as a gb >_>)

I looked on the forum but since the last post is out of date by half a year orso I was just wondering if anyone knows whats best atm.

I tried 7zip but it doesnt do anything to the file size it just stays at 100%

The files Im compressing are .rar and .7z

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    According to http://file-compression-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ , the best is WinZIP.

A common technique I've seen in warez sites to shave off a few MB is to compress your file(s) into a "solid" archive over multiple small parts (say, 100MB parts) at maximum compression then compress those parts into another archive with another program (like 7zip). The only problem with this, quite obviously, is that the first archive already has a very high density of compression. Compressing it further becomes somewhat difficult - you can only squeeze so many files so much until they refuse to budge. What makes it worse is that afterwards, when burning it onto DVD, if even a single bit fails to burn properly or gets scratched... you've lost the entire archive.

A slightly (not by much) more expensive alternative is to use DL DVDs - that way you don't even have to worry about compressing them.

3. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    the best is 7zip
    then winrar solid-mode
    then rar in regular mode & bzip2 are equal.

but dont bother - you cant compress a compressed file enough to make it worth it.
    try overburning an extra track or 3 on the dvd if your software & drive will let you.

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    7z is the best as others have said, you could try fiddling with the different settings on it though, as it has settings that will make it take (a lot) longer to compress but be more compressed.

if it is a video then it is likely already compressed the best it can be though.

personally, I would just buy a dual layer dvd...

5. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I have PowerArchiver myself. Never had any problems with it.
    The only thing it doesn't have is RAR compression (it can only extract) [​IMG]
    But for the rest, it has anything I need (even a build-in FTP client, Virtual Drive and ISO burner) [​IMG]
    (It's not free software though)

Never really used anything else enough to have an opinion about it...

6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    depends on what your compressing not everything will compress equally!

KGB archiver link is one of the BEST compression programs but takes longer to do obviously as its compressing much harder than say winzip or winrar a close second would be 7zip but its not to everyones liking [​IMG]

test them all and see which works better [​IMG]

oh and for the record OVERBURN on a dvd is not a great idea it usually ends up with a trashed disk if you cant burn it all to 1 dvd suggest span it over multiple ones by using SPANNED archives winrar can do this and you can set the size of each archive [​IMG]

7. SkH

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    7-Zip, on Ultra! [​IMG]

Edit: You want to compress already compressed data? First decompress all of them and re-compress with 7-Zip on Ultra (.7z file), and there's a chance you can fit on a DVD then.

8. GundamXXX
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the advice guys

Im using WinZip atm to check what it can do.

I thought it was all .rar and a few .7z but its all .7z so its already compressed pretty damn good. Just need to skim of like 150 mb T_T

9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Unpack it and compress it again with 7z on Ultra, then RAR the 7zs on Maximum.

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    If it's already compressed, uncompress it all before you try another program to compress it. If you really don't care about time you could try UHARC, it will take ages, but it does compress better than 7zip, winrar or winzip. Otherwise just stick to 7zip, ultra compression, and pick the biggest dictionary size your ram can support.

Chances are if it's video or some other content it's already compressed by the codec, so you won't shave much off it.

11. ravihpa

Member ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

India
    Dude, since you're trying to compress already compressed .rars, etc., all I would recommend you to do is uncompress everything and recompress with either 7zip or my personal favorite WinRAR and MAKE 100 MB SPLITS of that archive.

It would be almost impossible to compress it that much so as to fit it all on a DVD-R if you ALREADY CAN'T DO IT. Once you have 100 MB splits, back it up on multiple DVD-rs [​IMG]

Am not sure whether you already knew this, but that's the only REAL POSSIBLE way I can think of [​IMG]

12. Rogue_Syst3m

Member Rogue_Syst3m GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thumb drive or D/L?

13. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    7zip for freeware but when you want to Ultra compress them they take too long.

14. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "I thought it was all .rar and a few .7z but its all .7z so its already compressed pretty damn good"

This screams out rom set- the nice thing about 7zip over most other archival methods in this case is that if you compress similar files in one single 7z archive from raw the space goes right down as it uses the complete data set rather than individual files to draw the "library" from (others will compress one file, then another, then another......). Believe me when I say roms are very similar when you get down to it (even things that are not region dupes) but any minor change will often trash this similarity at a compressed level unless you do it all at once. If going this way you can also dodge having to use maximum compression as it will likely not do much good.

If it is video do not bother trying but know you can shave off the credits very easily:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AVI_Trimmer.htm

15. GundamXXX
    OP

Australia
    Well its compressed games RA3 and CODMW1

Unzipped theyre like 4 and 6gb seperatly >_>

Luckily I also have UT3 to burn so I guess Ill rar it in to 100mb parts -_-;
    I hate working hard but thanks for the tips everyone!

16. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I haven't seem anyone post this but if you mean an archiving and no just vid compression, may I introduce you to KGB Archiver? Compressed a 4GB GTA ISO to 7MB. Enough said.

17. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I'm guessing that was a mini image for GTA. I find it hard to believe a full iso image would compress that well, unless the image was mostly blank, or full of 0's.

18. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    NOT a mini image. I downloaded it, uncompressed it to the full size and installed it from that ISO that was 7MB. Decompression took a few hours.

19. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    Does KGB work this well for most games? I would LOVE to see Steam backups (and other 'backups' =P) compressed to file sizes this small...

20. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I also find it hard to believe that you can get an entire game into 7MB, unless it really was a small game. I've seen some Wii games and PC games scrubbed down to 150ishMB after removing videos and extras then compressing, but 7MB? Where in there do you get the space for a full game?