Hacking Best cIOS Selection for Newbies

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Thought I'd post here to clear something up
smile.gif

uLoader = about the same compatability as Triiforce, slighlty better for WW+VC but not much, slower load times but it also can write Wii saves to an external devise. Loads miis and some other files from the REAL nand which sucks in some ways. It can move saves to and from real and emulated nand. It also allows you to easily swap between 4 differnt external nands.

Triiforce = much quicker loading than uLoader, cheats and better options to deal with out of region wads. Uses files from external nand for things like miis etc, this is a GREAT idea. To use differnt nands you need to move or rename files, can't move saves between the real nand and emulated nand so to do this on the Wii you need something like WiiExplorer.

SNEEK = Perfect compatability, can write everything to an external devise, load times are great BUT it is a pain in the ass to get set up also it only supports SD not USB (yes read on)

UNEEK (newer SNEEK builds) = Same as SNEEK with the added bonus of using a HDD instead of SD only. The only bad point and bugs are getting better by the second, this is possibly the future.

A problem with SNEEK/UNEEK is that it has the limit of how many games you can run, but if you use it in combination with Triiforce then you can have as many WW+VC as you can fit on an SD card or USB drive.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the summary, Slimmmmmm.
smile.gif

I'm a bit confused about sneek/uneek. When you say that they are limited to how many games you can use it to run, are you referring to the number of channels the wii menu has? (12x4) And if so...can you install more wiiware/vc than you have empty channels?
And finally...if you use triiforce to load games from the sneek/uneek nand...will those extra games actually show up?

If so: YEEEY!!!
laugh.gif

Oh, and erm...I take it you mean uneek's bug FIXES are getting better?
wink.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes that's the number, it's not really 12x4 because you have the disc channel and might have others (mii channel etc). You can remove most channels but might need some. You can install more than that but they don't show on the system menu, but you can install them and launch them a few different ways. If you remember a while ago WiiCrazy used to have hidden channels that didn't show so it's kinda like that.

They can be played, they just don't show on the Nintendo menu.

The bugs with SNEEK are getting sorted very quickly, for example last week we were told it would probably never work with USB and might not work with new wiis, now it does so things seem to be coming along very quickly.

You've just got to think about how great Crediars apps have been in the past, he was the first person iirc to offer brick protection with preloader, then the first to start to offer an alternative to the system menu with Wiimu and then of course freedom. Then of course you have giantpune seeming very interested in it and he's not only a dev of a usb loader but the kind of dev that can make mods to just about any app he chooses so very quick to learn imho.

Triiforce has the man of many skills WiiPower and Nicksasa who imo manages everything he puts his mind to in very short time.

With these people all working on things that are related I think we will see great developments in no time at all, and most important very little bugs
smile.gif

2010 is the best year so far in the wii scene and we just get more spoiled by the day.

SSSMOKN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question on how to use Blue Dump. I can get it to pack my 249 into a wad like it says, but I am lost on how to MOVE it to my wad folder. I guess Blue Dump can't do that? I have to use something else, like take the card out of the Wii and put it in my computer to move it? I just got hung up there on the guide and would really appreciate some help.. Thank You. I haven't done much with my Wii with all of this Triiforce and things. I have some VC but have always just played from the menu. I take it that some of the new VC will not work anymore without uLoader or Triiforce? I would like to try the new Excitebike, but don't have it anyway. Thanks again...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...I'd say you're lucky that it does that for you. I got a cryptic error message: "ISFS_open for title /00000001/00000fa failed -106".

As such, I can't say where it actually dumps it to. Probably to the SD card's root folder. If so, it's just a matter of (indeed) swapping it out on the PC. Or you can use wiixplorer for these kind of purposes (it's basically windows explorer for your wii).

Other than that, I think you're missing the point of "triiforce and things". Triiforce, sneek and (recently) uloader are basically ways to avoid using your wii' internal memory. Considering that VC and wiiware are made to work on your wii's memory, the only way to get them to work on your SD card or USB drive is to emulate the wii's system on that same SD card or USB drive. It's basically akin to trying to run a windows program on a mac: you'll need a program that will make the program believe that it works under windows.

Though there is quite a bit of progress on this emulating, it's not perfect (well...aside from sneek, that is). So it's basically the other way around: uLoader and triiforce can't (yet) handle all the VC/wiiware. But installing them to your menu still works fine. Even without all the cIOS juggling described in the first post.

...if you have the wiiware/VC, that is.
wink.gif

SSSMOKN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your input. I did know about the emulation part also, but thought that it was also needed for running new wiiware. That cleared alot up for me thanks alot! If I don't plan on putting alot of sh!t on my Wii to kill memory space then I don't even need it really. Thanks again. Oh and yeah I got that message too a couple of times trying to figure it out. It gave a couple of code dumps too.

Vicegrip

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, when i try to install the cIOS 249, from cIOSX_rev19 my wii mote stop working and it become not synced to the wii anymore. It works when i select with IOS to pick, but not when i try to conform. I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this problem, much thanks
smile.gif

duboisbrian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why does 249 and 250 need to be different why can u have = Recommend by Waninkoko. Improves speed for USB loading. However, some Games might not work.
and Stable IOS with the ability to install Wads why can those thing be both on 249

aslo if i do this does that mean i use 250 for wads now

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duboisbrian said:
why does 249 and 250 need to be different why can u have = Recommend by Waninkoko. Improves speed for USB loading. However, some Games might not work.
and Stable IOS with the ability to install Wads why can those thing be both on 249

aslo if i do this does that mean i use 250 for wads now

you should try xzxero's guide instead. It's been updated and my Wii does everything I want it to, PERFECTLY.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...as I noted a couple pages back, I have tried Hermes's 223 v5 for music games within CFG, but it hangs at the end of a song*. It may work better in CFG, and I'm sure others have gotten rock band 2 to work in uLoader (even getting it to load from an emulated NAND, though that's kinda tricky).

I don't know the bug you're describing, so I can't help with that.

*I tried rock band 2 and guitar hero 4...dunno about others

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Since many Newbies are confused which cIOS they should install, especially what base IOS they should use for both, Hermes and Waninkokos cIOS, I decided to make a declaration . All Newbies should stop asking same questions again and again and do exactly what I am saying here.

The goal is to install following IOS(cIOS):

IOS202[60]-v65535 (v5 of Hermes cIOS) = USB2.0 for MPlayer, WiiXplorer and stuff
IOS222[38]-v65535 (v5 of Hermes cIOS) = Stable IOS with the ability to install Wads
IOS223[37]-v65535 (v5 of Hermes cIOS) = For use with Music Games with USB devices like Rock Band, Guitar Hero...
IOS224[57]-v65535 (v5 of Hermes cIOS) = Better speed for USB loading. However, some Games might not work

IOS249[57]-v19 (rev19 of Waninkokos cIOS) = Recommend by Waninkoko. Improves speed for USB loading. However, some Games might not work.
IOS250[38]-v65535 (rev19 of Waninkokos cIOS) = Stable IOS with the ability to install Wads

What do we need?
- Hermes cIOS Installer v5
- Waninkokos cIOS Installer rev19
- BlueDump Alpha 3
- Wad Manager
- AnyTitle Deleter Mod

If you dont have installed any cIOS yet, follow any hacking guide to trucha patch your IOS36.

We are going to install Waninkokos cIOS first.

1) Launch cIOSX Installer rev19 via the Homebrew Channel
2) Choose IOS249 (or your trucha patched IOS36 if you dont have any cIOS installed yet)
3) The Installer will ask you what base IOS you would like to choose. Choose IOS57 and let the Installer finish the job. If you dont have a Internet Connection, download a IOS57-64-v5661.wad via NUS Downloader and put it in the Root directory of your SD Card.

4) Now launch BlueDump Alpha3 via the Homebrew Channel
5) Go and find IOS249 in the System Titles and pack it to a Wad

6) Move your IOS249[57] Wad to your Wad directory

7) Now launch AnyTitle Deleter Mod via the Homebrew Channel
8) Go to System Titles and delete both, IOS249 and IOS250

9) Now launch cIOSX Installer rev19 via the Homebrew Channel
10) Choose IOS36
11) The Installer will ask you what base IOS you would like to choose. This time, choose IOS38 and let the Installer finish the job. If you dont have a Internet Connection, download a IOS38-64-v3867.wad via NUS Downloader and put it in the Root directory of your SD Card.

12) Lauch AnyTitle Deleter Mod and delete your IOS249.

13) Lauch Wad Manager via the Homebrew Channel.
14) Choose IOS250 and ignore the NAND emulation stuff. Browse through your Wad directory and install your dumped IOS249[57]-v19.wad.

Now we have IOS249[57] for USB loading and IOS250[38] for Wad Manager.

We still have to install Hermes awesome cIOS.

1) Lauch Hermes cIOS Installer v5 via the Homebrew Channel
2) Choose IOS250 when the screen asks you which cIOS you want to use.
3) Now install

a) IOS202 with IOS60 base
b) IOS222 with IOS38 base
c) IOS223 with IOS37 base
d) IOS224 with IOS57 base

Be happy and enjoy
ph34r.gif
i followed this step by step but Neogamma won't boot now!! what do i do to fix this?_?

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
John_Ice said:
@ Wever

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have a bug really, all is working but the memory of the wii came full and I have to delete it... So I just ask if i install only Hermes v5 223 with my setting, is it gonna work for me, that's the question...

If anybody have tried that, I will be happy to read your experience with a similar setting...

Thank's...
That actually is a bug with DLC for music games when playing them through a USB loader. Supposedly Hermes v5 (base 37) doesn't have that bug but I haven't tried as I've heard it's not as stable as v4. What a lot of people have done, including myself, is installed cIOSCORP 3.6 and run the music game through disc channel. If you have the original disc that would be even better of course. And lastly I heard NAND umulation with uLoader and Hermes v5 works and you can save DLC to USB. Only downside is it takes a while to start up the game (something like 10 minutes or more).

QUOTE(gameguy95 @ Mar 28 2010, 04:27 PM) i followed this step by step but Neogamma won't boot now!! what do i do to fix this?_?
Do you have Neogamma R8?

tinpo123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
11) The Installer will ask you what base IOS you would like to choose. This time, choose IOS38 and let the Installer finish the job. If you dont have a Internet Connection, download a IOS38-64-v3867.wad via NUS Downloader and put it in the Root directory of your SD Card.

This step gives me an error.
QUOTE said:
[+] Installing Custom IOS, please wait...
>>> Install ERROR! (ret = -2011)

Any ideas why?

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tinpo123 said:

QUOTE said:

Any ideas why?
Do you have a cIOS249 installed? If not then trucha patch IOS36 first.

tinpo123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bula said:
tinpo123 said:

QUOTE said:

Any ideas why?

I followed CODE
http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249
and did "I am on a firmware version of 4.2, updated via Nintendo's official upgrade process"
Then "Steps needed by all Wiis after performing any needed steps above."

Not sure if that will qualify me into having cIOS249 >.

Dispel

Trophies
XP
Country
what's the latest cIOS atm ? 19/20 ? is anything post-17 as stable as 17 was ?
smile.gif

no issues like 'games that were running perfect on USB on rev17 - have problems with latter rev's' ?

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tinpo123 said:
bula said:
tinpo123 said:

QUOTE said:

Any ideas why?

I followed CODE
http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249
and did "I am on a firmware version of 4.2, updated via Nintendo's official upgrade process"
Then "Steps needed by all Wiis after performing any needed steps above."

Not sure if that will qualify me into having cIOS249 >.<
If you updated via Nintendo to 4.2U you have a stub cIOS249 you will have to delete it with AnyTitleDeleter before you can install a cIOS but make sure your trucha pache your IOS 36 prior to cIOS installation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol