Best chkdsk alternative

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for a program that does basically the same job as Chkdsk and schedules to run on start up, basically my pc likes to restart alot. it doesnt have a dvd/cd drive and the only usb stick I got seems to freeze no matter what I do

Any suggestions

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am quite partial to http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk as it has saved drives and data on several occasions for me (up to and including dodgy partition tables).

Frankly though windows checkdisk/scandisk does quite well and if really necessary it is probably best to grab something like bartpe and/or Hiren’s BootCD (which also has the other nice tools for software driven drive recovery) and run it from outside the main windows install (bartpe being able to call your normal windows drive just a drive and still having scandisk).

Getting back to the matter at hand/trying to fit your requirements (personally I would at least invest in a working USB drive and preferably a caddy with an optical drive in) I recall a defrag program I used to like using had a half decent one that could try to subvert startup but I can not recall the name and frankly windows itself works quite well and the other things I listed do anything I need there.

Also as for your batch installer topic I did want to note that ninite does offer some closed source stuff including office (although I have not tried converting starter into a big boy version of office). Trouble is any time I have needed true auto deployment something has come in MSI form or I have bashed together (read stolen and rejiggered) something with autoIT neither of which are the learning macro style install you wanted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly