Hardware Best Bluray Burner

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone have some recommendations on this? I need an external bd burner, since my new pc didn't come with any optical drive. I'd like one that's self-powered (if possible). thanks.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
1) do you plan on watching films?
2) do you want to rip UHD films?

I ask because if you answer yes to:
1) Buy a drive with software, typically it’s cheaper/in my experience longer lasting support wise
2) You need a ‘uhd friendly’ drive, there are websites such as makemkv where drives are listed

Unfortunately I can’t recommend anything specific, since the last portable I bought has doubled in price, other than avoiding cheap **** off ebay.

Another thing to be weary off with portable drives, power can be an issue, so you may need to use 2 usb ports to power it.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mainly want to use it to burn ps2 and psx games for the ps2, so I thought might as well go all out with a bluray burner.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if all you're doing is burning PS1/2 games, literally anything, it won't make any difference at this point. As long as you get decent discs and burn them as slow as your burner allows (as the PS2's optical drive is...trash, for the most part, so quality is important or you'll end up with a lot of nice coasters), you'll be fine with anything.

You could opt for a drive that supports LibreDrive as noted above, but honestly unless you plan on watching/ripping UHD Blurays at some point, I probably wouldn't make it a priority for what you choose.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I mostly ask because it's not definite that I'll only use it for the ps2. I'd like something that will last and can do most things if I choose to.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might want to mention that my usb ports are not close together in case I need a y cable. That's the reason I'd like self powered.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I might want to mention that my usb ports are not close together in case I need a y cable. That's the reason I'd like self powered.

From my experience, portable BD drives can struggle on a single USB port, although for reading/writing CD/DVDs they may be fine on a single port. So I would plan on getting a USB extension cable if they’re far apart.

My last two BD portables (which I don’t recommend, one was RO for BD whilst the other is currently doubled in price), both had dual USB cables built in for this reason, one for data and the other for power.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Burner: LG-BH16NS40
Chassis*: ICY-BOX Ib-550stu3s

For me that was the most affordable - yet capable option.
I burned many media disks (via multiAVCHD) for my PS4 and even one 100GB one for files.
My disks read perfectly now, ~ 3.5 years after I burned them (can't say the same for any CD/DVD I ever burnt)

Highly recommended.

*requires only one USB cable, but a power socket connection for powering the drive.
Worth it tho, write speeds are quite good (just don't use cheap disks...)

You can also buy an internal and put it in an enclosure if you can’t find an external drive you like.
That basically sums up my setup in one sentence.

That price makes me gag.

I would just go with a bluray burner you can make LibreFirmware on. So you got some extras for free basically.
What... kind of features ?

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,
Reactions: Henx and godreborn

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
well, I contacted one of those people. I'm not sure if I want to do it or not. I'd like a bluray player that's largely future proof, so I'll sleep on it.
UHD Friendly is just a normal bluray player that with this "patch" makes it able to read UHD blurays that it normally couldn't.

Plus unlocks unlimited speed etc ;)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UHD Friendly is just a normal bluray player that with this "patch" makes it able to read UHD blurays that it normally couldn't.

Plus unlocks unlimited speed etc ;)

it will be $189, which includes shipping. I'm thinking about it. I shouldn't have any issues burning ps2 games, correct? if I buy the machine, I'm going to test it with tales of destiny director's cut. I would like something largely future proof, at least for a few years.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
it will be $189, which includes shipping. I'm thinking about it. I shouldn't have any issues burning ps2 games, correct? if I buy the machine, I'm going to test it with tales of destiny director's cut. I would like something largely future proof, at least for a few years.
Oh yeah it still a normal burner. Most likely. Ah 189$ aint bad. I mean I probably payed more unflashed Asus drive x3

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah it still a normal burner. Most likely. Ah 189$ aint bad. I mean I probably payed more unflashed Asus drive x3

I'll think about it some more. I'd like to get my acronis true image key first. it should be here by the 8th, I think. then, I'll make a disk backup of my computer. I'll probably need a flash drive for the acronis software, but I'm not sure how big. might get like a 32GB one to flash the disk image in case something were to ever happen to this pc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality