Hacking Best backup file system?

aldableep3

Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
12
Trophies
0
XP
11
Country
United States
First I would like to just say hi since I'm new here
smile.gif


I was just wondering what the pros and cons are of WBFS vs. FAT32 or something similar for backup use on the Wii. I backed up my Wii games on a drive with WBFS and I don't know if the drive was messed up but some games started to fail to load or would fail to load within the game itself. So I try to copy the games over to my pc, reformat the same drive with WBFS again and transfer them back to the drive.
Long story short, I just don't trust reading and writing from WBFS on Windows. Are there any disadvantages to using FAT32 to store and load my Wii games from? Can the Wii handle FAT32 well?

I'm going to get a new external HDD dedicated for Wii games and I would like to not have to worry about the file system once I start accumulating backups. I don't want to have 100 gigs of backups fail on me because of some unknown error copying files to/from this filesystem.

On a related note, what do you think of this HDD? From the reviews, it works with the Wii well. I want a HDD that is USB powered (less clutter) and small.

Thanks!
 

aldableep3

Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
12
Trophies
0
XP
11
Country
United States
thanks! based on that, wbfs remains the best option for me.

is there anything i need to do to keep the wbfs partition healthy? is it safe to delete games from the partition? i read in a separate thread on gbatemp that deleting a game from a wbfs partition can break other games on the partition. this makes me feel very nervous about using wbfs again, because this adds another possible cause to the list of reasons some of my games stopped loading. i also read that games can get corrupt etc. whats the most commonly used filesystem for wii loading now?
 

gsaz

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
41
Trophies
0
XP
77
Country
United States
in all honesty i'd recommend fat32 over wbfs any day. the only 'cons' as such being the 4gb file size limit aren't really even an issue; games above that size are split automatically by most methods of ripping/adding. use configurable usb loader and wii backup manager and you won't go far wrong.
taking another look at the thread i linked you to, maybe it needs a bit of an update, some of the advice isn't quite as current as it should be.
 

aldableep3

Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
12
Trophies
0
XP
11
Country
United States
hmm sounds good enough for me. usb loader gx is my favorite backup loader; would i still be able to use that with wii backup manager? is wii backup manager the program responsible for automatically splitting when transferring to the hard drive? will it automatically scrub and compress when transferring? also, isn't there a limit of 32 gb for fat32 partitions?
 

riffdex

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Messages
26
Trophies
0
XP
36
Country
United States
aldableep3 said:
hmm sounds good enough for me. usb loader gx is my favorite backup loader; would i still be able to use that with wii backup manager? is wii backup manager the program responsible for automatically splitting when transferring to the hard drive? will it automatically scrub and compress when transferring? also, isn't there a limit of 32 gb for fat32 partitions?
nope, limit of 4gb. i personally have been trying to figure out how i can load backups from my external hd. wbfs and fat32 aren't really options for me, i need my external hd to store files from my computer, many files above 4gb, and i don't want to split them. i was just wondering if it's really that unstable to use ntfs, or if it's not even worth it to load backups from ntfs hd? if anyone has an opinion lmk.
 

aldableep3

Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
12
Trophies
0
XP
11
Country
United States
riffdex said:
aldableep3 said:
hmm sounds good enough for me. usb loader gx is my favorite backup loader; would i still be able to use that with wii backup manager? is wii backup manager the program responsible for automatically splitting when transferring to the hard drive? will it automatically scrub and compress when transferring? also, isn't there a limit of 32 gb for fat32 partitions?
nope, limit of 4gb. i personally have been trying to figure out how i can load backups from my external hd. wbfs and fat32 aren't really options for me, i need my external hd to store files from my computer, many files above 4gb, and i don't want to split them. i was just wondering if it's really that unstable to use ntfs, or if it's not even worth it to load backups from ntfs hd? if anyone has an opinion lmk.
i don't mean the file size limit; i was referring to the maximum size of the partition itself. microsoft imposed a limit of 32 gb for some reason, but there are other partition utilities that will format a fat32 partition larger than 32 gb. as far as i know using ntfs isn't unstable per se, just the ripping of wii games to ntfs is. if you're only going to download your backups or rip them with your computer you should be fine. you could also partition your drive with one wbfs/fat32 partition for wii games and the other ntfs partition for your files.
 

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
7,284
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
???
XP
11,223
Country
Germany
aldableep3 said:
as far as i know using ntfs isn't unstable per se, just the ripping of wii games to ntfs is. if you're only going to download your backups or rip them with your computer you should be fine. you could also partition your drive with one wbfs/fat32 partition for wii games and the other ntfs partition for your files.
configurable usb loader can read and write to ntfs, and it's stable!
but if you are using a different loader or want to use your drive for other things, use fat32. the games will be splitted into 4gb parts automatically from usb loader and all backup managers without loosing speed ingame and the ripping is stable in every usb loader.
 

riffdex

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Messages
26
Trophies
0
XP
36
Country
United States
aldableep3 said:
riffdex said:
aldableep3 said:
hmm sounds good enough for me. usb loader gx is my favorite backup loader; would i still be able to use that with wii backup manager? is wii backup manager the program responsible for automatically splitting when transferring to the hard drive? will it automatically scrub and compress when transferring? also, isn't there a limit of 32 gb for fat32 partitions?
nope, limit of 4gb. i personally have been trying to figure out how i can load backups from my external hd. wbfs and fat32 aren't really options for me, i need my external hd to store files from my computer, many files above 4gb, and i don't want to split them. i was just wondering if it's really that unstable to use ntfs, or if it's not even worth it to load backups from ntfs hd? if anyone has an opinion lmk.
i don't mean the file size limit; i was referring to the maximum size of the partition itself. microsoft imposed a limit of 32 gb for some reason, but there are other partition utilities that will format a fat32 partition larger than 32 gb. as far as i know using ntfs isn't unstable per se, just the ripping of wii games to ntfs is. if you're only going to download your backups or rip them with your computer you should be fine. you could also partition your drive with one wbfs/fat32 partition for wii games and the other ntfs partition for your files.
my mistake, i think you are right about the partition limit put in place by ms. and oh, i guess i misunderstood the part in that thread about ntfs being unstable. i never plan on using the wii to rip games anyway, i use my computer and an external dvd drive i bought. can anyone confirm for me if ntfs is stable for everything else (other than ripping games with the wii)? are there any other downsides of using ntfs? also, that's a good point about creating an extra partition with wbfs. i hadn't thought of that! i might end up doing that. of course, that's only if i cannot use ntfs stably.
 

aldableep3

Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
12
Trophies
0
XP
11
Country
United States
fix94 said:
aldableep3 said:
as far as i know using ntfs isn't unstable per se, just the ripping of wii games to ntfs is. if you're only going to download your backups or rip them with your computer you should be fine. you could also partition your drive with one wbfs/fat32 partition for wii games and the other ntfs partition for your files.
configurable usb loader can read and write to ntfs, and it's stable!
but if you are using a different loader or want to use your drive for other things, use fat32. the games will be splitted into 4gb parts automatically from usb loader and all backup managers without loosing speed ingame and the ripping is stable in every usb loader.
so ntfs is stable under configurable usb loader? completely stable? let's say that i'm only using the drive for my game backups and that i'm only using configurable usb loader; what file system should i use?
 

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
7,284
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
???
XP
11,223
Country
Germany
aldableep3 said:
so ntfs is stable under configurable usb loader? completely stable? let's say that i'm only using the drive for my game backups and that i'm only using configurable usb loader; what file system should i use?
Yes, it'S completely stable with configurable usb loader. If you only use the drive for backups and you are only using configurable usb loader, and you are using a windows OS, then use NTFS and as backup manager the latest wii backup manager.
 

dexter222

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
337
Trophies
0
Location
Land of Fruits and Nuts
XP
195
Country
United States
WBFS file system is a footnote in Wii history. If starting fresh there is little or no reason to consider WBFS. Although NTFS is perhaps a better overall file system for windows it my not be your best choice for the wii. If you use a single FAT32 partition you can pretty much use it for what ever the wii uses a hard drive for
smile.gif
You should limit the number of partitions on your hard drive to as few as possible, one being the best.

FAT32 stands out right now as the best overall file system for the Wii
 

aldableep3

Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
12
Trophies
0
XP
11
Country
United States
Emulation of the wii has never really worked for me that well. I guess I haven't looked into it that much, but why bother when I have the real hardware (other than for HD)?

Basically I have a dedicated SD card for the Wii, so where the HBC and other boot files reside doesn't matter to me. It helps keep things simple for me. Thanks to Dexter for pointing out that WBFS is seen as more of a legacy FS for the Wii now. That helps with my decision. What's the point of making backups if the backups themselves are unreliable because of the file system?

I'm using one 250 GB external HDD that is dedicated solely for the Wii, so only one partition is necessary for me. Even so, I'm not really a noob and can partition my way around things
smile.gif


Given all the info I'm choosing FAT32 for now. @Sao Mortel, the only files that I'm going to be storing that are larger than 4 GB are dual layered Wii games. Those are few and far between, anyway. As long as the software can properly recognize and split and play the dual layered games, then I should be good to go.
 

chop

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Messages
495
Trophies
0
Age
50
Location
Pontefract
XP
267
Country
So If I'm already on WBFS is it worth changing over to Fat32,
I could transfer evverything on myHDD to my PC reformat then transfer back, will I benefit?
 

Sao Mortel

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
533
Trophies
0
Age
40
Location
Montreal
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
128
Country
Canada
aldableep3 said:
Sao Mortel said:
AS far as im concerned splitted up dual layer games work better than not splitted....
Really? Why is that?

Dunno its just an impression highly subjective...
QUOTE(chop @ Oct 19 2010, 09:22 AM)
So If I'm already on WBFS is it worth changing over to Fat32,
I could transfer evverything on myHDD to my PC reformat then transfer back, will I benefit?
Just for the fact that you can run your homebrews/emulated nand/movies etc. from the same partition is a big plus. if that not enough for you theres no need to change
smile.gif
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: https://www.operanewsapp.com/us/en/share/detail?news_id=3dab7b2419e0a4719ae30b1b4441e20a&news_ent...