Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I saw so many reviews but all of them are very different as to what is the best. I want a good reliable one, even if I have to pay for it. (not too much though) I do not need a super fast one, I need a through one, that also has a shield that can protect me while running windows. thanks in advance. Also my computer recognized a 160gb HDD as 127gb, anyone know why? Thanks.

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
A hardware firewall, common sense and Spybot: Search & Destory will do the trick!
smile.gif

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

zone97

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A hardware firewall, common sense and Spybot: Search & Destory will do the trick!
smile.gif

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

There is really no "complete" solution for what you want, generally speaking you can not have more than 1 antivirus program at the same time, especially if they do realtime scanning. Same goes for antispyware, but most of those do not do real time and have to be ran. With that in mind, I would pick a solid, well updated antivirus, AVG is good, but there are others. Then for antispyware, I would recogmend a set, like SPYBOT and ADAWARE, those two together catch about 95% of whats out there. But they only are effective if you run them often.

looneyboy784

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any big name anti virus will do. I use Avast but i have heard good things about AVG. For anti spyware you should use spybot S&D and if you are running XP you can get windows defender for free. for a firewall any hardware firewall plus the built in windows one should be fine but if you need a 3rd party one go with zone alarm.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You really shouldn't wait until you get a virus to have an anti-virus on your computer. The same with spyware protection. By the time you get a virus it could be to late.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got the system resources and cash to spare, Norton Antivirus and Spysweeper are your best bets. but if not, a-squared free is a good free anti spyware program.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you prob have some corrupt sectors in your HD, well happens really rarely or your HD is set incorrectly. i dont support viruses or anti virus, for viruses its somewhat rare to get a virus i think unless you have enemies posing as friends wanting to send you a file called "mymomnaked.avi.exe", seriously i download via torrent/usenet (prob 30+gb a month misc files) and havnt had a virus in like 5 years but i do see people who come to me to repair their pc with unbelievable amount of virus/spyware on their pc.

anti virus also i think is useless, cost money, uses crazy amount of resource (i dont care if you have a 90ghz cpu, you will still feel AV affects by HD access it does) and if you use your PC for games i say get something without active scanners and scan frequently.

alternatively, heres what i do use free AV built into email service etc, send yourself a email, exe file something not huge, like 500k-1mb, and scan it like that (yahoo, hotmail, prob buncha others) also you can use free virus scanners like ones www.mcafee.com has

*Edit*
oh great way to scan suspicious files using email and mail it to yourself before you open it

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can definitely say that Kaspersky is sheer greatness. I've been using it for years with no problems. I don't get viruses anyway. I find it strange when people have insane problems with viruses and spyware. One of my dad's friends paid me to clean up his PC and after running a simple Smart Scan with Ad-Aware SE 1.06, he had 2500+ critical objects (and that was with a definition file that was months old!). I didn't bother trying to clean it up, obviously. I just backed up his sensitive stuff (family photos and all that) and reinstalled Windows for him. Good times.

But yeah, Kaspersky is a winner.

Bongloads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
1) Stay off the azn pr0n sites and don't click links. PERIOD. You're done.

2) If you must still look at webpr0n and download your roms from fagsites, head on over to Trend Micro and do a FREE Housecall scan. I have recovered countless friends' machines with that simple, free, online scanner. And here's the best part : No installation. No registry entries, no uninstall garbage, and most of all : No active bytesniffing, sucking up cycles and choking your intralweb. They update constantly and have never failed me. You can even use it to scan specific folders or archives you think may be sketchy (caught many trojans in archives that way.) I have used Trend Micro Housecall exclusively for over 3 years and have never had a single active infection.

3) Last, but certainly not least - in fact, the most important security measure you can take : DON'T TORRENT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Thank You :D