Best Android Phones

Discussion in 'Android' started by Mariosegafreak, Dec 19, 2011.

Dec 19, 2011

Best Android Phones by Mariosegafreak at 11:29 PM (1,624 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Mariosegafreak
    OP

Member Mariosegafreak AKA ZeroTheSavior

United States
    I'm thinking of getting an android phone. Which one should I get, and what's the cheapest plan?
    Since plans are 70$ a month, I might not get one at all. (a plan, I mean. I could always use Wi-Fi...)
    My only requirement is that it runs 3.0 or higher. And that it's not obsolete.

2. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Just get a decent 5" tablet if you're not getting a plan. What catches my eye is a Samsung Galaxy Note, which serves as an oversized phone (if you get a plan) or a miniature tablet. Only issue is the price ($699 if you buy it unlocked).

3. Mariosegafreak
    OP

United States
    That is WAY too expensive. I don't have the money for that... I suppose I can get an iPod touch, but the whole reason I made this thread is so I didn't have to buy a fourth gen iPod and instead use android. I'll google and come back to this thread tomorrow.
    Also, I don't want a tablet, I want it to fit in my pocket. I already have an iPad that's shared with the family. I'm also twelve... And i'd have to pay for a cellphone plan myself, which is nearly impossible for me...

Hmm, maybe next christmas. Also, nobody tell me to get a regular phone.

4. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Minecraft Pocket Edition is a waste of time, it's nothing but create mode (the java game that you can play for free on the minecraft website).

Best android phone right now is the Galaxy Nexus, Verizon exclusive. Second best is the Galaxy S II and it's variants (although the T-Mobile one is slightly gimped because it doesn't have the Exynos SoC that the Sprint and AT&T versions have).

The cheapest plan will probably be with a regional carrier like Cricket or US Cellular etc. but they won't have the latest and greatest phones.

5. Mariosegafreak
    OP

United States
    I suppose I dont need to play minecraft PE. I can continue playing it on my iPad. Thank you for your suggestions.

6. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    htc desire sensation or htc desire hd
    best phones around. brilliant.

7. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    The XPERIA Play is pretty awesome with its gamepad controls and all (excellent for emulators ;) ), but its only a Sinlge-Core 1GHz and most new phone todays are getting dual-cores... :( Im also not sure about the price for it.

8. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    FYI, Android 3.0 is a tablet-only firmware. The latest version of Android phones use is 2.3, and recently Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), but not Honeycomb. (3.0)

1 person likes this.
  9. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    You'll have to define "best". Are you looking for an all-around great device at a decent price, or one with the best hardware in terms of raw power and specs?

I'd recommend the Galaxy Nexus (made by Samsung) under the Google brand name. Fantastic device all around, and it's running Ice Cream Sandwich as well.

10. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    You ninja'd me.

But ICS is great; You can open the Camera software without having to unlock --> app drawer --> Camera

11. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    You can do that with lockscreen replacements (particularly WidgetLocker) too. :ha:

(Although WidgetLocker is a paid app)

12. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i would recommened the Xperia play. Got it for a bargain in the UK. £160 normally its £250+. So im assuming its about $250-300 (wild guess)

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    The Galaxy Note isn't a tablet, it's right in the middle between phone and tablet (as in, it's half the size of an iPad, still somewhat bigger than an iPhone. And should fit in a regular-sized pocket, not to mention you can call people with it)

Also, a few things to clear up:
    1. Android 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 are only on tablets (The Galaxy Note still is technically a phone, so it runs 2.3). If you want 4.0, you'll have to wait until 2012 or get a Galaxy Nexus. Just get something on 2.3.
    2. Why get a phone when you don't want a plan? Get something that doesn't need a plan, such as an Android media player.
    3. Minecraft Pocket Edition will get updates in 2012, so it won't stay as the Classic edition for long.
    3. You haven't told us your budget.

14. WolfSpider

Member WolfSpider GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe this? http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxyswifi/

15. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Or Nexus S. Nexus S has it, too.

16. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    And 5: You accidentally a number.

2 people like this.
  17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I had 3 already, and then I added the Minecraft point. Seems I forgot to edit out the number.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mariosegafreak
    OP

United States
    Yeah. I think this is the one I want. Can you root it?

My budget? NO MONEH. I'll wait until Christmas or sell the useless stuff I get this year.

19. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Just FYI, the Galaxy Player's are basically a phoneless version of the original Galaxy S, they're not very good. You'd be better off if you're able to get a newer phone used and just not activate it.

20. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    Galaxy player would probably fit your needs quite well. The hardware is pretty decent, and IIRC, Samsung announced they planned to roll out ICS on it (Possibly the note though, icr).

If your interested in custom roms, I hear the Captivate is still been sold over where you are, and that has a whole load of development going on (The ICS port only has a couple minor bugs left.) and if you ever accidentally mess up with a custom rom and end up bricked, you can have UnbrickableMod put on it.

@Terminator02 Nothing wrong with a Galaxy S. Whilst it might not be the best, the internals are sturdy and the screen is amazing.

Note: The Captivate is the AT&T version of the Galaxy S, though what I said applies to just about the entire Galaxy S line. (Not the S II though)