Best and worst biscuits.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, May 16, 2013.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Furthering the GBAchef agenda we have a discussion of biscuits, specifically your most liked and your most disliked. Anecdotes and things like "I like boxes of broken biscuits" (by the way if you are ever in the UK buy a box of them or the chocolate equivalent if you want the general UK biscuit experience) are very welcome.

We do also take the position that Jaffa Cakes are indeed cakes as the makers claim ( http://www.jaffa-cakes.com/jaffa-cakes-biscuits-name for a somewhat interesting legal case on the matter) and thus are also excluded from this. It physically pains us but we might also have to exclude godliness that is Tunnocks from this. Depending upon the final ruling of the GBAchef council this may see my membership being revoked for going there.
    Marshmallow driven biscuits are a tough call -- standard pink and whites count (though I can not see them taking top or bottom place) but Jam Mallows less so.
    Finally if it was not already obvious we are using the English definition of biscuit and as such American style cookies are excluded, there are some fine ones (I recently had some very nice bunch of oatmeal and white chocolate ones made by a visiting USian relative) but that is not what this is about.

Best.... seen as I removed tunnocks I have a few options.
    Ginger crinkle crunch -- I really like normal ginger biscuits but tried these on a whim one day and it turns out small chunks of dried ginger in your biscuit is an awesome thing.
    Hob nobs. With there always being a danger of eating two packs in a single sitting it means they have to be on there. Chocolate or not means nothing here.
    Malted milk. Second only to chocolate cake in the list of things I like to soak in milk and then eat. I can take or leave chocolate covered/sided ones though primarily as they interfere with soaking up milk and the chocolate is too thin to lend enough structural support to them if you allow them a long enough soak to become saturated*.

*the advanced technique of chocolate side outwards to create a cantilever* beam** but have the newly soft biscuit exist within the low/zero displacement zone or the cretin class of "use a spoon" are not enough to dismiss this fault.

*treating instead as a singly fixed point item with self weight providing the tensile force just ends up with milk everywhere. The chocolate usually does OK here as well but the turning makes it a cantilever beam thus this part of the physics can be ignored.

**why yes I consider the physics of biscuit eating at this level. If this concerns/offends/perplexes you be advised to never take me to an all you can eat restaurant.

Worst
    Party rings.... I hate them and always have; I find the taste, consistency and feel on your fingers to be horrible. Sadly most parties (birthday, general, new year's eve) I ever went to featured them and as such are what I will blame for my general apathy concerning parties to this day. That they also do not dunk well in milk is just fuel to the fire.
    Rich tea. I do not hate them, I just do not see why they still make them/place them in such a vaunted position.

Middle of the road
    Arrowroot biscuits. Invariably something I get to bring across in my luggage and have to explain to US customs but though they are perfectly edible I am not sure what the big deal is.

Pink wafers. Only mentioned as I tried several in the US and they were less than stellar where the European versions seem to be quite nice. I fear this may be similar to arrowroot biscuits above though.

2. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Digestives and there is a ring sorta one I get thats buttery and sweet oh and jaffa cakes if that counts

there the tri force of biscuits for me

3. dj4uk6cjm

dj4uk6cjm GBAtemp Fan

Nov 23, 2012
    United States
    I'm a fan of the honey biscuits.
    [​IMG]

4. Isaac

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    *american and confused*

5. Lanlan

Lanlan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2011
    United States
    Pillsbury biscuits are good I guess...

6. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    You hit the nail on the head with Hob-Nobs. The milk chocolate variety have a moreishness rivalled only by heroin.

Worst? Rich Tea. They're crap.

7. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    These things:
    [​IMG]

Ever since the first I had, I've loved 'em.
    Also known as butter scotch fingers.

pitoui likes this.
  8. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Biscuits to EU is sort of like cookies here in North America, but they're not full of sugar, and they're to have as a side snack for say drinking tea or something. You can actually find them at house partys and such.

Biscuits here in North America are normally the dough type things.

9. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    rich tea are a bit lame , but dunked in tea 'til just before they fall is always good.
    Choccie Digestives ... only the mcvities ones again dunkin in yer brew till the chocolate melts ..
    Custard creams are what my kids go nuts for..

This thread is reminding me of the peter kaye standup .. with hobnobs being the marines of buscuits .. can be dunked for ever...

10. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Can beat chocolate orange hobnobs.

11. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    I live in NewZealand.
    I find Gingernuts the best for dipping :) and I love these orange+chocolate biscuits but I cant remember their name...

12. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Well if my potentially dissing tunnocks did not seal it I think that I had never heard of those completes the case against me as far as my GBAchef membership goes.

13. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    You British people have my interest piqued.

14. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    What do Snowballs count as? They're not really biscuits or cakes...at least they don't seem like cakes. And man, Party Rings are embedded into my childhood...don't diss the Ring!

15. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    Confectionery.

Favourite biscuit has to be a garibaldi.

16. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    I don't see that at all....Snowballs in a sweetshop?

But you're dead on about the dead-fly biscuits.

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    ...no spongecake biscuits or jaffa cakes?

I find this article lacking and hardly digestable. :angry:

18. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Jaffa cakes are cakes -- the company even went to court to defend that stance and I even linked the case in the OP- http://www.jaffa-cakes.com/jaffa-cakes-biscuits-name .

Also how I overlooked squashed fly biscuits I will never know, doubly so as I usually get them at the same time as I get fig rolls (about the only time I care for figs).

On party rings -- this would usually be a matter of "challenge accepted sir" but I am not sure how to set about it in this case. Bake off?

19. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Chocolate Bourbons are beautiful.
    White chocolate chip and strawberry cookies are also amazing.

20. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    I believe standard practice for any Party Ring related disputes is miniature hoopla with Cadbury's Fingers as the targets (another more-ish snack!)

Although i do concede Party Rings are not a biscuit that should be eaten with any regularity, but stand as something different once in a while.