OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

I have a few very simple questions:
  1. I understand that once I have custom firmware installed, I can install multiple cia files. However, can they be saved to the sd card to save space?

2. If so, would it make sense to have a lot of games on multiple sd cards? e.g. one marked A-I, one marked J-P, and one marked Q-Z?

3. For such a setup, do I have all of the cfw files and whatnot on each card or just the installed games?
I usually like to dabble in a ton of different games rather than beat any one, so I'd kind of like to have them all setup and ready at the beginning.

Thanks!

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. I understand that once I have custom firmware installed, I can install multiple cia files. However, can they be saved to the sd card to save space?

Yes - that is actually the only place they are saved. Very little is actually done to the main system NAND (unless you want it to be).

1. If so, would it make sense to have a lot of games on multiple sd cards? e.g. one marked A-I, one marked J-P, and one marked Q-Z?

Yes, but take it from me - the top 300 games (according to metacritic), which also happens to be the maximum number of titles the 3DS can display in its native launcher, takes up around 220GB after installation. So a single 256GB SD card (like $60 on sale) will be all you ever need.

1. For such a setup, do I have all of the cfw files and whatnot on each card or just the installed games?

There are ways to copy *some* CFW files onto the system NAND, but by default you will need to have a copy of the CFW on every SD card you use.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

chachaprince1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For slightly faster load times using 128 GB or bigger capacity, see 64 KB cluster size

Excellent! I've read that load times can be bad for sizes great than 32gb, but do you feel like the change in cluster size largely addresses the issue or is it still pretty noticeable? Similarly, would you personally rather have one or two very large ones or multiple smaller ones?

There are ways to copy *some* CFW files onto the system NAND, but by default you will need to have a copy of the CFW on every SD card you use.

Thank you for your thorough response! This is exactly what I needed to know. I just picked up on a New 3DS XL on eBay yesterday :)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent! I've read that load times can be bad for sizes great than 32gb, but do you feel like the change in cluster size largely addresses the issue or is it still pretty noticeable? Similarly, would you personally rather have one or two very large ones or multiple smaller ones?
In my post #3, I fixed the address to the 2nd link ("Weird Problem..."). There are a lot of previous threads listed there that talks about large SD cards with 64 KB cluster size.

Reactions: chachaprince1

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
400gb sd cards come at a good price point ($60 not on sale) especially compared to the 512gb cards ($80 not on sale).
You can also swap your 3ds 300 titles with another 300 tiles via godmode 9 scripts
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/
I've done this and feel like I have all the titles I need/would ever play
edit: for some reason I remember 512gb cards being more expensive

Reactions: chachaprince1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.