Before I mod 11.3 Qs

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Hatchetball, May 23, 2017.

1. Hatchetball
    OP

Hatchetball Modder/PCTECH

Sep 26, 2010
    United States
    Mississippi
    Before I begin my venture into the 3ds modding scene I have a few questions regarding the setup before the modding.

1. Do I have to use a microSD card that has no data on it to begin? (using n3dsxl w/ 64GB microSD card)
    2. If I leave my saves and data on the microSD, will I lose my DLC?
    3. When I use freeshop/other to install a game (that I own physically)- but the save file is located on my MicroSD card, will it still function correctly and access the save or will I lose my save?
    4. - snip nevermind-
    5. I have NOT modded my 3ds yet, has "the guide" been updated with the new sighax info yet or should I wait a few days then mod it?
    6. Is 64GB enough? Should I pick up a 200GB microSD and use it instead?
    Thanks gbatemp, it's been a long while but I'm back :D

Last edited by Hatchetball, May 23, 2017
  2. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    1. Nope.
    2. Nope.
    3. Digital games will stored save data on the microSD card. Physical games will store it in the cartridge itself.
    4. Asking for warez is against the rules... and pretty sure it's down.
    5. The guide was updated as soon as B9S was released. Just read it over and follow it.
    6. Depends on how many games you want to download, but on a 200GB mSD, you're more likely to reach the 300 title limit first, than actually filling up the SD Card.

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    1. You can have data, you won't lose it as long as you don't format your system
    2. No, as above
    3. You might lose your save. Back up your saves and ext data with JKSM before installing a game you own on cartridge. You can reinject your save if it disappears.
    4. No
    5. It's updated
    6. 64 is plenty. Most people use 32GB or less.

bennyman123abc likes this.
  4. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    Not asking for warez, already know what the site is, but, did the site get shut down, or is it just experiencing technical difficulties?

Edit: never mind, it's back up.

Last edited by goldensun87, May 23, 2017
  5. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    1. Do I have to use a microSD card that has no data on it to begin? (using n3dsxl w/ 64GB microSD card)
    No, you can use your microSD card as is. If you want you can make a backup of it first just in case, but unless it gets corrupted you probably won't need it.

2. If I leave my saves and data on the microSD, will I lose my DLC?
    No.

3. When I use freeshop/other to install a game (that I own physically)- but the save file is located on my MicroSD card, will it still function correctly and access the save or will I lose my save?
    A piece of homebrew called JK's Save Manager (JKSM) can move your saves from your physical cartridges to the CIA versions. You'll have to start a new save with the CIA versions first, then overwrite that new save with the one from your cart.

4. Can someone message me a link to that iso site, thought I found it but site seems to be down now...
    No.

5. I have NOT modded my 3ds yet, has "the guide" been updated with the new sighax info yet or should I wait a few days then mod it?
    So there's Boot9Strap and Sighax. Sighax is meant more for developer use and can brick your console if you don't know what you're doing. Boot9Strap is more user-friendly, and the guide has been updated to use it.

6. Is 64GB enough? Should I pick up a 200GB microSD and use it instead?
    200GB+ is probably overkill, but a 128GB is pretty nice to have. If a new hack bypasses the 300 game limit in the future, you might want a 200GB+ card, but I doubt it.

Thanks gbatemp, it's been a long while but I'm back
    How long? Wii days? or back when this site allowed roms and was a haven for piracy?

6. Hatchetball
    OP

Sep 26, 2010
    United States
    Mississippi
    How long? Wii days? or back when this site allowed roms and was a haven for piracy?

^^^Since R4's started coming out and I was writing firmware for it lol
    The game limit of 300, do you mean 300 folders full of games, or 300 total icons associated with the home menu is the limit (folders+unsorted icons)?

Thank you for your input, I will go the B9S route with the guide.

Edit: Oh and the save file for Fantasy Life 3DS is saved to the SD card and I do not want to lose my 900+ hour save file...

7. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Pretty sure you can just use JKSM to backup it up. It let's you backup ext save data.

And 300 icons, badges included.

8. Hatchetball
    OP

Sep 26, 2010
    United States
    Mississippi
    Suppose I could back up the save data from the microSD before I begin. I'd assume I can import it later if it does vanish.
    Seems to be a general rule for 3ds lol back up then do stuff.
    I really don't see myself having 300 icons or games so I'll stick with my 64gb for now.
    Lastly I suppose I should ask as a just to be sure:
    Fantasy Life 3DS does not save any data to the cartridge, that said, will the save file be usable by a physical cart AND a digital copy? Will the digital copy find the DLC without installing a Cia of the DLC? (I have the DLC installed already, just not sure exactly what is kept and usable by the mod)

The answers may seem obvious to some but again I've not been active since the NDS hacking scene started, prolly before Pokemon D/P/Pt & HG/SS came out. It was a much simpler time then without odd named work arounds and abbreviated names for everything.
    I would think the people making the files would work together and make one simplified mod file that does everything in one go but it could be worse. I am learning, and I appreciate the input you've all given.

There needs to be a all in one file... Kind of like how Hiren's does it lol

9. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    The save file will be used by both. If you do not have the DLC installed, the game will not see that you have it.

10. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Could you share your save? I would imagine you got all the items for crafting. Drop rate for some of the items are abysmal.

11. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Reading all this, so is it easy to use a 128Gb now?
    I used to use a 128GB but i only could use 64Gb, everything over was not recognized on the N3DS.
    So i switche dback to 64Gb (still penty, but it would be nice if i could use my 128Gb on my other N3DSXL with full capacity :)

12. Hatchetball
    OP

Sep 26, 2010
    United States
    Mississippi
    Run 70+ Luck, you'll be fine. To answer the question though, I have no plans to share the save, the game is multiplayer and does still have active communities. Sharing saves takes from that so, no.

@DjoeN if you've used a 128gb and it wasn't read fully then it was not formatted properly to fat32@32.
    64GB is sufficient.

pixelmasher likes this.
  13. thund3rstruck

thund3rstruck Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2005
    United States
    Regarding 128GB sdcard...

You have to use a special formatting tool in order to format to FAT32 but yes, all my 3DS consoles are using 128GB SD Cards

Last edited by thund3rstruck, May 24, 2017
  14. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    What does that have anything to do with Fantasy Life save file? Just use GodMode9 to format SD cards.

15. Hatchetball
    OP

Sep 26, 2010
    United States
    Mississippi
    Done. Haven't installed anything other than what "the guide" has told me to, minus the NTR CFW. Will do that tomorrow.
    Now... how does this work... do I just install CIAs and they work?
    Have seen a lot of talk about titlekeys? Do I need to mess with them if I'm just installing a CIA via FBI?
    Another thing. CIAngle and freEshop. (arc13's fork) Are they functioning correctly? Seen something about needing a link swap at a certain part.
    As well, when using these 2, do I have to have some type of keys or is download and play?

16. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Yes, install CIA with FBI.
    You can Google 3ds title keys and it'll take you to the right website. Titlekeys allows you to download things off the Nintendo's CDN. freeShop and CIAngel allows you to install titles off the CDN. freeShop is an eShop clone and CIAngel is more minimal, but better featured. CIAngel lets you download CIA or install titles off CDN. I think it also lets you create tickets (.tik), but I'm not sure since I don't use that feature. CIAngel also isn't reliant on a cache so it can access titles sooner than freeShop until more things get automated.

Hatchetball likes this.
  17. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    Last edited by noX1609, May 24, 2017
  18. thund3rstruck

thund3rstruck Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2005
    United States
    Sorry, was on my phone and obviously quoted the wrong post. Clearly my response was for the question about how to get 128GB sdcard working.

19. Hatchetball
    OP

Sep 26, 2010
    United States
    Mississippi
    Before I do this and potentially get banned.
    Is it possible to connect to Pokebank like normal from my modded 3ds and not get banned? It's on 11.4 (modded on 11.3, updated after modding)