Hacking Been out of the scene for quite some time.

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I dusted off my wii today, and decided I wanted to try some new games out.

I went and bought them, backed them up, and they simply don't work.

I've been out of the scene since everyone was using WiiGators backup loader 0.3

My system menu is 3.2u, of course.

What should I do?

Should I really just 'follow a guide' and update to 4.2/1?

Wouldn't it be beneficial to keep my older system menu?

D:

Flame away, or help.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's no reason to keep 3.2 anymore. Priiloader and Startpatch have basically replaced Starfall, and you can run games from USB hard drives now(but burned disks still work on Wiis without the new D3 drive). 4.1/4.2 also still have region free Wii games. There's no difference between 4.2/4.1 at this point. I'd go ahead and update. As for games "not working", if you mean a black screen, you need to update your IOSes, which you can do with DOP IOS MOD, or by letting whatever games you want to play run their update(make sure they're the same region as your Wii, though!).

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
daxtsu said:
There's no reason to keep 3.2 anymore. Priiloader and Startpatch have basically replaced Starfall, and you can run games from USB hard drives now(but burned disks still work on Wiis without the new D3 drive). 4.1/4.2 also still have region free Wii games. There's no difference between 4.2/4.1 at this point. I'd go ahead and update. As for games "not working", if you mean a black screen, you need to update your IOSes, which you can do with DOP IOS MOD, or by letting whatever games you want to play run their update(make sure they're the same region as your Wii, though!).

Thanks, so basically, look into some of the guides?

I already have Starfall and HBC installed, So should I simply uninstall and reinstall them from scratch? Or is there a way to 'update'.

Basically, i'm lost as where to start.
QUOTE(tj_cool @ Dec 29 2009, 01:16 PM) you could start by getting some newer stuff first

NeoGamma instead of gamma 0.3
Newest HBC
Bootmii
cIOSrev14

But where should I start? I don't want to carelessly install things. Like I said, i've been gone for a while.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Get the latest Hackmii installer: http://bootmii.org/download/ once the site comes back up(Seems to be down..), then update your HBC install. Easy as pie. Do this first, in case you decide to update to 4.2 through Nintendo, as 4.2 eliminates the old HBC, DVDX, and stubs all CIOSes(all of which are easily fixable). Might want to install Bootmii as boot2 if you can, and make a backup as well.

Do you happen to have New Super Mario? I'd let it run the update if you do. It contains 4.1. After that, you can install Startpatch or Priiloader to replace/reinstate the functionality of Starfall, and more. Or you could just update through Nintendo to 4.2, but there's a chance of bricking, due to a buggy update of boot2 by them, so I wouldn't recommend it, even if the chance is small. Or if you want to update manually, use DOP IOS like I said, to update every IOS and the System Menu to 4.1 or 4.2(Make sure you have IOS 60 or 70 installed before updating!!). A final solution could be to use the 4.2 Safe Updater from Zektor, as that will also skip the boot2 update.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To sum it up: there's no reason to upgrade your SysMenu or stay where you're at. If you like shiny new version numbers, update. If not, don't. Homebrew works on all menus 3.X-4.X so far. Homebrew and games only care about IOSes.

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
daxtsu said:
To sum it up: there's no reason to upgrade your SysMenu or stay where you're at. If you like shiny new version numbers, update. If not, don't. Homebrew works on all menus 3.X-4.X so far. Homebrew and games only care about IOSes.

Thanks, and what about cIOSCorp?

what's that about?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
First get the newest hackmii installer from bootmii.org and install the newest HBC and Bootmii

When you did that, you can uninstall starfall (just run starfall and disable the hacks) before you install StartPatch/Priiloader (don't combine these two)

I also advise to update your cIOS to rev14
You can do that by running the rev14 installer

To use NeoGamma, just download it and run with the HBC
Or if you like channels, install a channel for NeoGamma (If you still have one for gamma, unistall that one)

cIOSCORP is to play backups from Disc Channel, but you MUST do farther reasearch on what it does and how before you even think about installing it.
If you do that, nothing should go wrong
wink.gif

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
First get the newest hackmii installer from bootmii.org and install the newest HBC and Bootmii

When you did that, you can uninstall starfall (just run starfall and disable the hacks) before you install StartPatch/Priiloader (don't combine these two)

Or if you like channels, install a channel for NeoGamma (If you still have one for gamma, unistall that one)

cIOSCORP is to play backups from Disc Channel, but you MUST do farther reasearch on what it does and how before you even think about installing it.
wink.gif

I installed cIOSCORP, but the disc channel isn't reading anything, and now HBC is upside down. lol.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moderate said:
tj_cool said:

wink.gif

I installed cIOSCORP, but the disc channel isn't reading anything, and now HBC is upside down. lol.
Did you install cIOS38-rev14? Try loading a back-up game using NeoagammaR8_rev15 and see if that works..
What IOS is your HBC running on? Is you Wii SM on 3.2? You may have to install a fresh copy of IOS36 with DOP-IOS for SM3.2.

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bula said:
Moderate said:
tj_cool said:

wink.gif

Did you install cIOS38-rev14? Try loading a back-up game using NeoagammaR8_rev15 and see if that works..
What IOS is your HBC running on? Is you Wii SM on 3.2? You may have to install a fresh copy of IOS36 with DOP-IOS for SM3.2.

I'm going to uninstall- up to 4.1 and retry, thanks.

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, i'm now on 4.1 with everything going well, except a few games I try to load from backup disc go completely black.

I'm on a U Wii trying to run a Pal game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1