Bayonetta voice actress asks fans to boycott Bayonetta 3 after low pay controversy

asdadsasdadsadsd.png

Voice actress Hellena Taylor, known for playing Bayonetta, has taken to Twitter to dispute a claim made by PlatinumGames. Earlier this month, it was revealed that the role of Bayonetta had been recast, and that Jennifer Hale would be taking over for Hellena Taylor, because of scheduling conflicts making it difficult to reprise the role, at least according to PlatinumGames. However, shortly after that announcement, Taylor posted a series of video messages on Twitter, explaining that the decision had nothing to do with any difficulties in regard to timing or scheduling, and instead was due to the fact that Platinum offered only $4,000 for her to voice act the entire game. She then asked for Bayonetta fans to boycott the game, and instead take the money they would have spent purchasing the game, and donate it to a charity.

I understand that boycotting this game is a personal choice and there are those that won’t, and that’s fine. But, if you are someone who cares about people, who cares about the world around you, who cares about who gets hurt with these financial decisions, then I urge you to boycott this game.

Taylor says she only wanted a livable wage for her performance and fair payment for the time and effort that voicing the protagonist of a video game franchise that has sold over $450 million dollars. PlatinumGames had made Taylor reaudition for the role of Bayonetta, because "sometimes voices change with time", but she was once more chosen to voice the title character in Bayonetta 3. After she was given the part, though, she was given "an insulting offer" by the company. This prompted Taylor to send a letter to the director of Bayonetta 3, Hideki Kamiya, who sent her back a "final offer" of $4,000 to voice all the lines in the game.

She also spoke about Jennifer Hale, who will be the voice of Bayonetta in the upcoming game, and that she wishes her well, but that she also believes that Hale "has no right to say she is Bayonetta". Taylor mentioned that speaking up about this was a breach of her non-disclosure agreement, but that she has nothing of monetary value to be taken, so she decided to speak up.

Hideki Kamiya responded to the claims with a chain of various Tweets, and a wave of blocking people who Tweeted at him--something he is known to do--to the point that it got him temporarily restricted on the platform. His main reply to Taylor was, "Sad and deplorable about the attitude of untruth. That's what all I can tell now. By the way, BEWARE OF MY RULES", and while the latter half of the message sounds like a threat, it is moreso likely referring to Kamiya's tendency to block Twitter users for breaking his "rules".

People online were upset by this, and some even were blaming Jennifer Hale for taking the role at all. Hale has not yet made any comment on the matter, though she has notably liked numerous Tweets that claim she can't speak on the matter due to NDAs, or that she was unaware of the drama in the first place when she was cast. Other voice actors in the video game industry offered their input, such as Sean Chiplock, who said the $4000 appeared to be "union rate", and that he was paid "approx 2,000-3,000" for his work voicing Revali, Teba, and the Great Deku Tree in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Meanwhile, he says his two offscreen lines in the film Detective Pikachu earned him more money than his work on BOTW, and that even voicing characters in the indie game Freedom Planet was worth more than the voicing roles in BOTW, because unlike video game voice acting work, he was given sales royalties from the role.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Welp that sucks.
Post automatically merged:

But while she did lie (or seems to), we really should pay attention to other voice actor's pay since with the many that came out saying they were paid extremely low as well.
Since SAG-AFTRA has a history of not actually negotiating with the companies to make sure they are paid well.

• Angry
Reactions: Snintendog

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What happened here was 'Icarus' flew to close to the sun and got burnt and in response to being turned down and replaced, she attempted to throw a monkey wrench into Platinum's plans by putting out red meat at the last minute right before the game's release as a distraction to level off any potential gullible consumers who buy her story to keep them from buying the game. Such a predictable typical bitter hurt female response...

I'm gonna stick to my original comment:
3 words... "Fvck dat b!ch" (in my Yung Dro voice) 😅😆😂

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
basically Bloomberg saw the contracts and said they offered her 4000 per session and a minimum off 4 sessions total so she was getting almost 16000, and they say she asked for 3 figures instead and they declined.

i guess she tough "i voiced her 2 times plus smash bros appearance, so i´m irreplaceable" well she tough wrong.

Its ridiculous how people here in this posts wanted VA to get revenue precentage while every coder and animator doesnt get shit... why would VA?Its a job like any other...

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically Bloomberg saw the contracts and said they offered her 4000 per session and a minimum off 4 sessions total so she was getting almost 16000, and they say she asked for 3 figures instead and they declined.

i guess she tough "i voiced her 2 times plus smash bros appearance, so i´m irreplaceable" well she tough wrong.

Its ridiculous how people here in this posts wanted VA to get revenue precentage while every coder and animator doesnt get shit... why would VA?Its a job like any other...
My point exactly... A certain voice actor is not integral for the function of a video game. All they do is bring a character in the game to life. If coders and animators aren't getting paid 6 figures then who dafuq does she think she is demanding such? Fvcking entitlement at its finest to the 3rd degree, smfh 🙄😒🤦🏽‍♂🤷🏽‍♂... All these slackivist sn0wflake's had to do was wait for the whole story rather than jumping to conclusions, taking sides by taking some nobody's word for what they said. I waited until most of the facts came out before making an informed decision and I had an inkling that Hideki Kamiya's tweet before he deleted his account had some merit.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean... I'm not going to boycott a game that still involves a large amount of talent in other departments. Does it suck that she's not getting paid much for reprising the role of the game's main character? Yes, it does suck. Many voice-over actors will tell you that the business is pretty cut-throat, but you roll with the punches and try for the next gig (which she doesn't do, by the way). Also, she does not "own" the character, and it's not fair for the programming team, sound team, etc to have their work boycotted because of one person's grievance.

All-in-all, while I am sympathetic to the challenges that many voice-over actors face, this is, in part, a case of selfishness-- even going as far as to put down another voice-over actor for daring to "steal" the role from her, and undermining the efforts that others have put into developing the game.

EDIT:

So she did lie about what she was offered and it wasn't good enough for her. Sounds like someone was feeling pretty entitled.

Last edited by Delerious,
Reactions: Kioku

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
So she lied. Was offered $4000 per session for 4 sessions.

Just a spoiled entitled spiteful woman. And there's hordes of simps and cucks that ran to her defence literally just because it's a woman.

If this was a man doing this it would have been called a "targeted harassment campaign".

Hopefully she gets sued for libel or slander or something.

Sk17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
"I want you guys to boycott this game"

Can you say that without... uhh... legal repercussions?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

videogamefanatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew something didn't add up here considering she said she had to audition for the role again. You don't ask for a re-audition only to lowball the VA that passed the audition, even if low balling is some weird japanese way of turning someone down. Plus she only ever called the "final offer" $4000 total in her videos (and called the initial offer merely "insulting"), which makes *way* more sense given the bloomberg/vgc account which says the final offer was a single session cameo role. This, people, is what we call a "lie by omission"

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally get that the talent can't just set their own prices. It was just surprising to me that it was so low, relative to the average budgets for these kinds of games. I suspect that the average rates will go up eventually, but who knows.

Also, I figure some voice actors are more replaceable than others. In my earlier example of Destroy All Humans, you're never going to find two voice actors who sound quite like the originals, they're just so distinct. But others maybe not so much. And maybe it's the responsibility of the voice actors to make themselves so indispensable.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't really blame her for hustling, if only she hadn't taken it personally and then asked for the boycott.

She could've just raised awareness and tried to help all VAs and gotten nothing but support.

• Angry
Reactions: Snintendog

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Glad I didn't bother posting my thoughts on this until we hear the other side of the story. Though there may still be more that we don't know.

Current thoughts, since Hellena broke her NDA, aside from possible legal actions from Nintendo/PlatinumGames, other companies might not want to hire her for big character roles in the near future in their games because she seems like someone who is difficult to work with and for breaking NDA.

Also, I find it ridiculous to get people to boycott a game just cause the someone took her role.

Reactions: Minox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.