Hacking Battery Problem After

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully there is a soft fix.. I tried to open it up but I lack the proper screwdriver for the joycon rails, hopefully I didn't even screw the screws...
I wonder if I could deplete 100% of the battery being on linux though, then try horizon OS...?

Definitely give it a shot. That should at least reset the sensor back to base.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any infos from devs what's going on with this? i wondering about doing this..

I explained the the probable cause, and the confirmed solution. Looking into how we can eliminate the cause. Most likely due to one the Pre-built Linux images going around with battery display driver causing calibration issues.

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leaving it on RCM and see if I can drain the remaining 30% that way... If Horizon is indeed the culprit and turning it off at 30% for no reason.

Bartesco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm gonna try to fully charge the battery with Ubuntu running on the Switch as I never used it with my battery fully charged, maybe it recalibrates or something... I don't know but I'll try and maybe I'm lucky

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny it's not more widespread. Probably EVERY people that booted linux has this issue yet some people didn't even notice. I guess they didnt reboot to Horizon recently in undocked mode.

Have in mind that I never even managed to boot linux to GUI, so it's funny that booting to command line was enough to trigger this issue...

Bartesco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's funny it's not more widespread. Probably EVERY people that booted linux has this issue yet some people didn't even notice. I guess they didnt reboot to Horizon recently in undocked mode.

Have in mind that I never even managed to boot linux to GUI, so it's funny that booting to command line was enough to trigger this issue...
Yes, I don't understand why this issue isn't popular because is a serious thing. I wonder if just occurs on a very limited cases (like you and I) or there's more people affected but they don't even know.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I don't understand why this issue isn't popular because is a serious thing. I wonder if just occurs on a very limited cases (like you and I) or there's more people affected but they don't even know.
I think it's more likely that they didn't realize. Hopefully there'll be a software method to reset the battery calibration using a fusee payload or something.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I've stated this is most likely not Horizon's fault but Linux battery driver causing the desync. Are all of you using a Pre-built Linux Sdcard image, if so, where did you get it from?

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had been using the rootfs that was posted here before it even got hardware accelaration but for some reason I was stuck in a boot loop after login (dunno the exact error) and didn't bother more.

Ever since I did that, I have the issue.

That being said, maybe I did have the issue after trying fusee gelee loader, since I had not tried my Switch until then. For sure I didn't have the issue before trying any of these 2 (only thing I tried since the recovery mode trick leaked).

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I've stated this is most likely not Horizon's fault but Linux battery driver causing the desync. Are all of you using a Pre-built Linux Sdcard image, if so, where did you get it from?
As the guy a couple posts above mentioned, he never fully booted into linux. So the problem is much more likely to be with one of the kernels (or all of them) than any particular SD image.

Bartesco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how much battery Fusee Gelee screen eats but I have my Switch sitting on that screen forever now. Will see if it fixes the issue if I leave the battery die.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the guy a couple posts above mentioned, he never fully booted into linux. So the problem is much more likely to be with one of the kernels (or all of them) than any particular SD image.
You may be right. I'm beginning to think operating the switch outside it's normal bootloader in general may be throwing off the calibration.

Time will tell as more reports surface. I'll see if I can find something in Linux that can soft reset it.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,

Bartesco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You may be right. I'm beginning to think operating the switch outside it's normal bootloader in general may be throwing off the calibration.

Time will tell as more reports surface. I'll see if I can find something in Linux that can soft reset it.
Thank you so much for your dedication :lol:

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just some progress of my experiment :
So I managed to drain the battery for sure : to make it faster I had it sit on the "white screen" after fusee gelee launcher when you try to shutdown.

Pressed the button many time to make sure it was KO, then plugged it again. It's charging now, at least I see the little battery on the top left now. I'll fully charge to 100% and report back if it fails at 30% again.

Bartesco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I left charging my Switch with Ubuntu booted, in the menu Settings > Power of Ubuntu I can see the percentage and the estimated time left to get 100%. Is strange but all was on its way but look, when it reached 97% it said "21 minutes remaining" which is alright, but at 98% it said "14 hours 38 minutes remaining". And now when I am LITERALLY writing this words now says "Discharging", still at 98%. My plan was leave this charging 15 hours and see if that could be enough but with this message maybe it's not whorth it. So strange xD
Edit: Now it says "14 hours 38 minutes remaining" again. Ugh!!!

Last edited by Bartesco,

WannabeArtist

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I could have sworn that my Switch just turned off yesterday with about half the charge remaining. Good thing I'm not going crazy at least I suppose.
Confirmed it now, getting about 1,5 hours in Splatoon 2 after a supposedly full charge. It did turn off at about 50% remaining status, which is roughly 1,5 hours in that game, so the battery indicator matches the expected runtime - about 3 hours for a complete charge.

ut0pia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi All,

Got the same issue after messing around with shofel2_linux with prebuild linux and dumping nand, etc...
It shutdown at 50% and now i'm trying to drain sticking on horizon home screen but can't get lower than 12%
A fix would be welcome :)

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

Got the same issue after messing around with shofel2_linux with prebuild linux and dumping nand, etc...
It shutdown at 50% and now i'm trying to drain sticking on horizon home screen but can't get lower than 12%
A fix would be welcome :)

I already found a fix. Pull the battery out of the switch and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Re-insert battery and start as normal. I'm currently attempting to find a software method.

EDIT: I've not yet been able to replicate the battery bug myself yet which is proving to be harder than I initially expected it to be. I'll see if I can force my switch to die on Linux overnight and test from there.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,
Reactions: EpicLPer and Devin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ