Hardware Battery life sucks

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a n3dsxl that I've had for at least 2 years, and it seems like the battery doesn't last as long. It seems to last about 3 hours now, not sure if some games drain the battery more than others but been playing Jewel quest and I can't see how that game would be a battery hog. Usually I'd let it run down to 50% before then recharge it, does that have something to do with it

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
not sure if some games drain the battery more than others
Software running on N3DS has the choice of O3DS or N3DS clock frequency (a choice which some CFWs allow the user to override)

Usually I'd let it run down to 50% before then recharge it
Avoiding the very low percentages is indeed helpful in getting more cycles out of a lithium ion battery, but it's far from the only factor: avoiding the highest percentages, not storing the battery for long times nearly full or empty, ... also matter!
(How much does it pay to spend effort in squeezing the most out of a $15 consumable, is another question)
(and, how did you measure your alleged 50%? You looked at the icon?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Uh, false advertising, that's for the small O3DS

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is "N3DS" on ad's title.

Anyway, he may find the correct one in ebay.
Tha's why I said false advertising :)

N3DS (and XL) quadruple batteries are made by Mugen Power, but I think it would be cheaper to buy four (or even one) reputable 18650 batteries and 3D print your own backplate... with premium 3-day shipping from China ;)

null

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant the best solution for this issue is to buy a new battery. Thats the point.

There are several price options in ebay and its simple to replace it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPR-003 battery for the USA market:

Nintendo (official):
Nintendo (3rd party):
Cameron Sino (aftermarket):

Other than @Ryccardo's mentioned Mugen extended batteries from:
, everything else is probably crap. If you see more than 1800 mAh like from TOMEE brand or unlabelled generic that looks eerily similar to the o3DSXL Nintendo blue/black battery, run away from it.

Edit - Late added entry. I'm on this fence for this one as some of their other product reviews are hit or miss. However, they do specialize in batteries, chargers, and cables.

MPF Products (aftermarket):

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my battery is toast huh... And I knew the percentage from rosalina menu
It could be worse. As long as your battery:

(1) isn't instantly shutting off the 3DS without the red warning flashes:
(2) doesn't pose a fire risk by bulging/swelling/being inflated:
I would consider yours a still somewhat usable battery. In fact, it's doing pretty well at 2 years if you're frequently playing your n3DSXL.

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red light is still flashing when it's low, and it's not bulging or anything, plus on newegg there's batteries for $10 lol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red light is still flashing when it's low, and it's not bulging or anything, plus on newegg there's batteries for $10 lol
As was stated previously,
.... If you see more than 1800 mAh like from TOMEE brand or unlabelled generic that looks eerily similar to the o3DSXL Nintendo blue/black battery, run away from it.

I mean if you want to get ripped off buying a shoddy battery with poor battery life and service life because it's ~$7 cheaper, knock yourself out.

If you do buy a crummy battery, can you report back what yours weigh with a digital kitchen scale? For science, of course.
Instructions and math formula for battery comparison:

sebas72563

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi. One question, when I have the console off, should the console be downloaded or not?
and if I have it off, how long would I have to download only 1% of the battery (looking at the percentage with the menu of rosalina / luma)?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. One question, when I have the console off, should the console be downloaded or not?
and if I have it off, how long would I have to download only 1% of the battery (looking at the percentage with the menu of rosalina / luma)?
There seems to be a English mis-translation in the word "download". Do you mean "dead" battery?

It is bad practice in keeping the battery life really low as this can greatly reduce its life span. Try to keep a minimum of 50% battery life whenever you can. If you play the 3DS until the red light starts blinking, you should hook it up to the charger the first chance you get.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Spanish “cargar” translates to load (things) as well as charge (electrical charge). Do you mean “get the load(charge) down”? That would be “discharge”?
There seems to be a English mis-translation in the word "download". Do you mean "dead" battery?

It is bad practice in keeping the battery life really low as this can greatly reduce its life span. Try to keep a minimum of 50% battery life whenever you can. If you play the 3DS until the red light starts blinking, you should hook it up to the charger the first chance you get.
This bad practice is probably still a leftover from the nickel-cadmium time. No matter how often you try, it’s hard to eradicate this false assumption that you can (or even should) treat a Li-ion battery like NiCd.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spanish “cargar” translates to load (things) as well as charge (electrical charge). Do you mean “get the load(charge) down”? That would be “discharge”?

This bad practice is probably still a leftover from the nickel-cadmium time. No matter how often you try, it’s hard to eradicate this false assumption that you can (or even should) treat a Li-ion battery like NiCd.
Oh wow, that's something I haven't heard in long time like VHS and cassette. My memory's a bit fuzzy, but that's the rechargeable one before Nickel-metal hydride was a thing, something about it being very poisonous when dumped in landfill and contaminating ground water, and most importantly of all, it had a drawback of charge memory where it had to be fully discharged in order to recharge or else its battery life was shorten, something like that.

Yah, old habits die hard. :/
You know what kind of battery really sucks? Lead acid, in electric scooters. I once got lost trying to get back home riding one... This was before GPS and smart phones were common. I took one wrong turn and ended up having a 30 miles (~48 km) walk of shame lugging 100 pounds (~48 kg) of dead weight, made worse when it rained.

The really sucky lesson from that was that lead acids permanently die when their charge hit bottom. Lol.

I wish I could get an extended 3DS battery that would fit in my Pro Controller... Even if I had to cut some plastic.
Hah, that's funny. The Switch Pro Controller uses the same CTR-003 battery as the o2DS, o3DS, and n2DSXL. If you're serious about this idea, there's a way to stack and connect batteries in parallel to increase capacity while maintaining voltage.

sebas72563

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
good. I have another question but I do not know if you will understand me.

Let my 3ds discharge to 10% of the battery (looking with the menu of rosalina). I played from 1:30 p.m. until about 7:15 p.m., then turned it off but I did not charge it and the next day at 9:00 a.m. I turned on the 3ds and the ignition bulb, it was not red, but blue. , and look at the rosalina menu and it was at 13%. It's very weird, is this normal?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As far as I know, the 3DS has no "energy counter" or "smart battery". This means it does not track the charge level. It only measures the voltage (and Rosalina calculates that to a percent value).

Letting the battery rest for a night can lead to a slightly higher voltage (and %-value).

Other example: Take an old flashlight with a normal light bulb, not LED. If the (non rechargeable) battery is almost empty, the bulb will get weaker and weaker. Turn the light off and wait some hours. You can use the flashlight for some minutes again. The effect is not as big on rechargeable batteries (like Li-ion), but the voltage increases slightly when resting after usage.

So yes the change from 10% to 13% may look weird, but I would say this is in normal range.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

sebas72563

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
OK thanks. When the 3ds is in sleep mode (when I close it), the battery has to discharge slower than when I have it open playing? . because I'm seeing that although it is in sleep mode it is discharge in the same way as if it was being used (playing)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries