Can you play on the 3DS without a battery?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Kippykip, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Kippykip
    OP

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    So I got a link between worlds yesterday and got my 3DS that has been in it's case for a very long time (A couple months?). Anyway it wasn't charging properly (the charging light would go on for about 5 seconds and go off) then I realised the back of the 3ds is slightly popped out.
    I unscrewed the back and the battery has gotten big. So yeah I'm pretty certain the battery is f**ked and could explode if I do something stupid.
    I took the battery out and I wanted to try running the 3ds from the charger, but it doesn't work. In fact it does the exact same thing where the charging light would go on for about 5 seconds and turn off.

Just wondering if you can actually run it off the charger, or if that's what it does when the battery is missing (or f**ked up in my scenario). Hoping that it can't run off the charger because that would probably mean my 3DS itself if f**ked as well.

So yeah just wondering.
    If it can't run off the charger then I'm gonna have to get a replacement battery or if can run straight from the charger then i'm just gonna cry in a corner.

2. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Found this on another forum.

3. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    The 3DS should work fine off of a charger without a battery. Chances are your 3DS is screwed up. There's a small chance something is wrong with your charger. Overall, I've seen plenty of electronics come in that have been messed up due to batteries (rechargeable, replaceable, it doesn't matter) being improperly stored in them. Especially smartphones. I've seen a lot of those with bloated batteries. Sometimes they get lucky and only the battery is bad, but other times they aren't so lucky. I generally just tell them they have to replace it and take better care of their stuff.

4. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    I want to confirm it with my friends 3ds though. The 3DS has been in a case in the cupboard this whole time so it's been taken care of and some sites said that the 3ds doesn't work without a battery so not sure.

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Yeah it should work.
    You might need the battery for the system to turn on though. Then you can remove it.

Kippykip likes this.
  6. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Ok maybe the battery is f**ked then.
    I just want to be 100% sure because I don't wanna have to buy another battery only to find out it was the 3DS that's broken

7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I just tested it out. I was wrong, it does need a battery. I was sure I read somewhere on the forum that it didn't. Oh well. Anyway, that's not the right way to store a battery. I'd recommend you read up on the proper ways to store different kinds of batteries. It takes a bit of maintenance to store most modern batteries. I've lost plenty of batteries before, just because I'd have a couple on hand that wouldn't sell. Even with proper storage, they'll eventually go bad, but at least you can have it last a couple of years instead of a couple of months.

Kippykip likes this.
  8. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Thanks so much for testing it!
    What a relief!
    P.S. gonna make a video of it

TecXero likes this.
  9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    No problem. I just hope you've learned your lesson about neglecting batteries. :P

Kippykip likes this.
  10. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Thing is, it's just been in the case in the cupboard for months, just wanted to use it again only to find the battery puffed up and whatnot for no reason. :unsure:

11. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    It was probably stored fully charged. I've seen Lithium Ion batteries do that when they're stored at a full charge. Even with a bit of discharge, it will usually start to bloat after a while. Generally best to store them around 40%. Every few weeks, I go through and charge back up all my stored Lithium Ion batteries to a little over 40%. Nickel is usually fine discharged for a while, though if I have one sitting around for a long time, I'll make sure to charge it up a bit. Lead is best kept topped off. Even then, eventually batteries will have problems no matter how you store them, so I generally go through and check them all every year.

Kippykip likes this.
  12. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind ^_^

TecXero likes this.
  13. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Here's the video if you want