Hardware Battery life after 2.0 update?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
What about the LED while charging? Wouldn't it go off or turn Blue or something when the battery is fully charged?? 3DS on charge for 7 hours now still the LED is orange.

Kroganwrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it has something to do with Nintendo enabling spotpass on the 3ds. It's constantly communicating to find wifi sources to connect to which uses a LOT of battery. I bet none of you would have this problem if you turned the wireless switch off before closing the lid.

My 3ds will not fully charge, orange light is ALWAYS on.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS has had spot pass enabled since the beginning... that how you can download weapons/missions on Samurai Warriors and get all the statues from SSF4.

If I had to guess, nintendo changed something in the update where it's checking much more often than it was previously... Expect a patch for it when they release the Ridge Racer patch.

Kroganwrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually they didnt. They only had it enabled if you were connected to a wireless network through the setttings, now it connects to any open networks to download the data without the need to set it up in the settings. So now it's constantly searching for open networks to download some data from.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kroganwrex said:
Actually they didnt. They only had it enabled if you were connected to a wireless network through the setttings, now it connects to any open networks to download the data without the need to set it up in the settings. So now it's constantly searching for open networks to download some data from.
Where did you hear that from?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Kroganwrex said:
Look at your notifications, there's a notice called -

'new software via spotpass'

It was sent to us the same day they sent out firmware update notifications.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
KingVamp said:
Kroganwrex said:

I see, kinda brush that off,but does that really mean searching for any connection?

Going to have to look at options...

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
heartgold said:
KingVamp said:
Kroganwrex said:

I see, kinda brush that off,but does that really mean searching for any connection?

Going to have to look at options...
I think it's constantly looking for open connection setup by nintendo or via your own router for updates, extra content, etc and that may explain the decreased baterry life.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jan1tor said:
Is it me or does it seem like nobody uses the cradle when it is in sleep mode? Whenever I'm not using it, it sits in the cradle. The manual says it can be charged over 500 times, thats about a year and a half if you have it charge every day. I have never gotten a red light yet.

Some cant use the cradle due to protective cases so they just leave it plugged in.

jpxdude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Hi All,

Just to let you know that yesterday I did another full charge (whilst in sleep mode) and played Zelda again for about 1hr 50 mins. I played on lowest brightness with power saving, keeping the wifi on, and also turned off the SpotPass for the Pokedex only.

I left my 3DS in sleep mode this time overnight, and only 1 bar of battery life went down. Although after about 5 mins in the Internet Browser looking at MPO pictures, it seemed to have lost 1 more bar
frown.gif

Seeing as my 3DS is not using battery power for actual gaming during sleep mode where my battery has been dying, I'm led to believe that the Pokedex has been killing my 3DS battery.

If anyone else is experiencing the battery drain problem in sleep mode, can you try and disable SpotPass in Pokedex only to see how that affects your 3DS?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Pokedex part might be true because the 3DS is constantly searching for Pokedex updates, you get like 3 Pokemon each day right?? So yeah...

About the Battery Life, which I didn't cover in my previous post, I have no idea if it has decreased or increased overall, because I rarely play games on my 3DS. Only game I own is Street Fighter IV, which last I played was back in late May.

I only turn on my 3DS, put it to sleep mode, get new Pokemon for the Pokedex, check eShop for anything new and turn it off later.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine has been the same since the update, but I have yet to download any virtual consoles- I will let you know when I get Links Awakening on pay day how it affects things.

Actually pay day is Friday, so Ocarina will be the first thing I get

AntvgX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yeah, noticed that too. Previously my 3DS could survive about 2 days in sleep mode. Now i fully charge it in the evening, go sleep mode and in the morning it's already dead.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Kroganwrex said:
I think it has something to do with Nintendo enabling spotpass on the 3ds. It's constantly communicating to find wifi sources to connect to which uses a LOT of battery. I bet none of you would have this problem if you turned the wireless switch off before closing the lid.

My 3ds will not fully charge, orange light is ALWAYS on.

I noticed that the orange light stays on when charging too!
Charged it for 5 hours yesterday and the charger was STILL glowing orange.

D

Deleted User

I think in general I got worst battery life when I had power saving mode on... But I'd have to double check that...

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disabled both options under spotpass in internet settings and completely turned off the 3ds and let it charge that way. Seems my battery life is normal again, but will need more time to test. The orange light also turns off now after charging is complete.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Poor and jaundiced is he!