Hacking Question Battery Drain w/AutoRCM Poll & Question

Do you have battery drain issues with AutoRCM? Method of installing RCM?

• Total voters

DBA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since you cannot notice if your switch is on or off in RCM mode, and since RCM mode has no battery management logic, any USB-C cable plugged at the wrong moment, or removed too late after you switch is off, will put your switch in RCM, and burn your battery.
But warning, without a complete battery management logic, it will literally destroy it, since it's a deep discharge.

AutoRCM is shit.

Bargy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Nope. To do that you have to resign your one BCT with nintendo's private keys. Impossible..
Otherwise, there wouldn't be a reason for warmboot in lower than 5.x firmwares

The dock powers on the switch. It doesn't only charge it.
It's the same boot procedure when you plug it in dock or wall adapter or PC.
So if you had AutoRCM, it was powered on and stuck at RCM the moment you touched the dock's USB port.

Btw, I'm more than 3000 hours in RCM till now (I always forget it, even for a day some times).
I still don't have the de-sync. But also I don't use AutoRCM (no need hmmm:unsure:).

Would it be possible to add functionality to Hekate AutoRCM to indicate whether you are toggling it On or Off (maybe there is a new version that already shows whether it is active or not?).

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it true that if you boot into the SX OS menu and choose power off from there, the system will truly be powered off rather than RCM? I heard that somewhere just once, might be bogus info. Because normally when you power it off from the OS, it just goes to RCM as far as I know.
Ive checked if it was in RCM. Its not, by cord and the SX dongle, it doesnt boot, it doesnt do anything. I have to power it on for it to boot RCM. I've had 0 battery drain for the past 4 days.

Since you cannot notice if your switch is on or off in RCM mode, and since RCM mode has no battery management logic, any USB-C cable plugged at the wrong moment, or removed too late after you switch is off, will put your switch in RCM, and burn your battery.
But warning, without a complete battery management logic, it will literally destroy it, since it's a deep discharge.

AutoRCM is shit.
Thats not the case for me, it doesn't boot into RCM via cord (after turning it off) or when I plug my dongle in. I've also tested this by keeping it off while I sleep and then plugging the SX dongle in when I wake up and it still stays off. The switch has been on the same % when I have turned it on. and its not desyncing it because it seems others have had the opposite happen and their battery % actually shows the drain.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I kinda feel like I have this terrible broken RCM mode that no one else has.

Reactions: MattKimura

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AutoRCM is shit.

Using a jig and a button combo every time you want to boot is shit as well so pick your poison I guess.

Are you sure about the battery draining below a safe voltage or are you just speculating? Have you let it totally die in RCM and then checked voltage?

DBA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Using a jig and a button combo every time you want to boot is shit as well so pick your poison I guess.

I agree for this, but there is plenty of solutions to do that easily, with magnet, or hidden buttons. Anyway you only have to to do that once in a long time. That's why autoRCM is not needed.

Are you sure about the battery draining below a safe voltage or are you just speculating? Have you let it totally die in RCM and then checked voltage?

another guy from this thread had the same problem as me. The switch do not boot, at all, because it detect a lower than 0% battery, which mean you are bollow the protection level. You will have to charge it for a long time before booting with very few battery displayed. Causing potential battery damages.
When you boot into RCM, it's not recommanded to charge your switch, neither stay in RCM for too long. It cause battery issues, it is known, you can learn more about it here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/important-psa-autorcm-battery-warning.505192/

Last edited by DBA,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree for this, but there is plenty of solutions to do that easily, with magnet, or hidden buttons. Anyway you only have to to do that once in a long time. That's why autoRCM is not needed.

another guy from this thread had the same problem as me. The switch do not boot, at all, because it detect a lower than 0% battery, which mean you are bollow the protection level. You will have to charge it for a long time before booting with very few battery displayed. Causing potential battery damages.
When you boot into RCM, it's not recommanded to charge your switch, neither stay in RCM for too long. It cause battery issues, it is known, you can learn more about it here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/important-psa-autorcm-battery-warning.505192/

Yes, sir. I've had that happen twice. I used TegraRcmSmashGUI to auto inject and I removed the USB when I saw the SX splash screen. It blinked the low battery icon and shut off immediately. I figured out I could auto inject and then quickly unplug at the SX splash and connect the official wall wart to get SX OS to boot right away. I'm sure a charger of comparable output would work but I haven't tried. Battery health seems fine. I know that repeated drains like this would affect battery longevity, but I wonder what voltage the battery got to when it wouldn't boot. The system must stop drawing power when it reaches a certain voltage. Right? I don't think it would drain it to complete zero. What's battery killing concern? Lower than 3.3v?

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system yes, but RCM is not the system, that's the whole point.

I'm at 4202 mV for 100% battery.

By system I meant the console itself. Not the OS. I was just curious how low the battery would get in RCM mode. Like if you left it in RCM could it get to the point where the voltage drops so low that the battery will no longer charge. I'm not sure at what voltage that usually happens. If leaving it in RCM is capable of discharging the battery below an acceptable level (where it will no longer accept a charge) it will start happening to people if it hasn't already. For now I'm leaving my Switch in sleep mode.

[3rd]Wael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It will reboot in ofw, it is even said when you disable it.

Also I disabled autorcm with sx pro, it was draining battery even when the console was totally turned off. Huge difference for the battery with auto RCM on and off.

Before anyone says that I'm a hater anti sx etc, I love what I bought and find it very very simple and easy to use. It is not perfect though.

Also my 2 cents about autorcm vs jig is that when you first start messing around with your hacked switch is keep auto RCM, but once everything feels at the right place and configured as you like, remove it.

Last edited by [3rd]Wael,

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will reboot in ofw, it is even said when you disable it.

Also I disabled autorcm with sx pro, it was draining battery even when the console was totally turned off. Huge difference for the battery with auto RCM on and off.

Before anyone says that I'm a hater anti sx etc, I love what I bought and find it very very simple and easy to use. It is not perfect though.

Also my 2 cents about autorcm vs jig is that when you first start messing around with your hacked switch is keep auto RCM, but once everything feels at the right place and configured as you like, remove it.
Try briccmii, boot briccmii to install it and then boot briccmii one last time after BRICCING and press + and see if it says to repair cust_data. See if that makes a difference? If it says UNBRICC then just cancel and see how that works.

Last edited by Lumince,
Reactions: [3rd]Wael

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I had autoRCM installed through sx os, went into cfw (at 100% battery), then turned switch off; turned it back on next day and found battery at 45%...Immediately uninstalled autoRCM and never touched it again (and the issue went away).

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had autoRCM installed through sx os, went into cfw (at 100% battery), then turned switch off; turned it back on next day and found battery at 45%...Immediately uninstalled autoRCM and never touched it again (and the issue went away).

Try this \/ and see if that changes
Try briccmii, boot briccmii to install it and then boot briccmii one last time after BRICCING and press + and see if it says to repair cust_data. See if that makes a difference? If it says UNBRICC then just cancel and see how that works.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Having AutoRCM installed only drains the battery when the console is "off". This is because the console is not actually powered down. It automatically starts RCM after turning the system off. Hopefully it can be fixed in an SX OS update. I like turning my system off when I'm not using it.

Last edited by DocAmes1980,
Reactions: hiroakihsu

DBA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Having AutoRCM installed only drains the battery when the console is "off". This is because the console is not actually powered down. It automatically starts RCM after turning the system off. Hopefully it can be fixed in an SX OS update. I like turning my system off when I'm not using it.

It's not everytime. It appends for me when something was plugged or unplugged from any USBC cable in any way. Did not notice any other behaviour.
So for me, i was unable to shutdown and dock my switch, because my plugs are powered off when i do not use them.

PeterGemp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not everytime. It appends for me when something was plugged or unplugged from any USBC cable in any way. Did not notice any other behaviour.
So for me, i was unable to shutdown and dock my switch, because my plugs are powered off when i do not use them.

Can confirm that it automatically starting RCM if plugged into my computer when powered down. But that makes sense, since a non-auto-rcm console would also start as soon as it receives any form of charge.
I have yet to experience it going into RCM (black screen, system on) after being shut down and without anything plugged into the usb.

Reactions: Lumince

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It seems to restart to RCM Everytime for me. I know that if you connect the Switch to a power source while off it will turn on. That doesn't apply iny case. Neither time did I connect the Switch to power.

andre1891

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Heavy Battery Darin on AutoRCM with SX OS.
Shutting it down in SX OS and loose 20% in 4 hours.
Now i try to shut it down over SX Boot Menu

Reactions: hiroakihsu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o