battery charge not lasting, 2nd ds from nintendo

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by monstergarden, May 19, 2009.

1. monstergarden
    OP

Newcomer monstergarden Member

United States
    After almost 2 months of using the CycloDS Evolution I noticed battery life was not getting much past 4 hrs of play on the second to the brightest setting, which is what I usually default to. I would usually get up to around 12 to 15 hrs on that bright setting.
    My black pokemon lite was sunder warranty and I sent it in to nintendo to get the battery swapped. So now I'm with a second DS lite, nintendo just turned around and sent me a new one instead of swapping out the battery. Now after one complete drain and full charge on the new one, I'm noticing the same thing, about 4.5 hrs of play on the 2nd to brightest setting.
    After googling I noticed the the cyclo firmware has a battery saver feature, I had that disabled.
    I also came across this link, which states that battery drain is comparable with normal carts for the Cyclo.
    http://www.monroeworld.com/myfaq/index.php...&artlang=en

Anyone else noticing this?

(I also have used an R4 for over a year, and never noticed a drain like that)

2. monstergarden
    OP

United States
    I'm also reading that the cyclo firmware could be the cause for the drain, in the forums. Is there a bare bones, or stripped down version of the firmware?

3. blainy

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    make sure you upgrade to the latest version of teh firmware (latest stable version is at time of writing this post 1.54) and use the battery saver mode in the settings.....also, try lowering the brightness settings you are using. i use my cyclo with teh 1.54 firmware, on the second dullest setting, and i get almost a full days of use out of it being used and abused for games, music, videos, etc..

4. monstergarden
    OP

United States
    What I want to know is if this is definitely the Cyclo that is draining the battery faster as opposed to a bad battery. I used to play - games only, no multimedia - on the R4 and would get many more hours.
    I thank you for your suggestions, but I just need to know if this is what I should expect for the cyclo, and if so, if there's any work around for it beyond the battery saver being enabled.
    And I also play games only on the Cyclo, no music or videos.
    thanks

5. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Yes, the Cyclo definitely drains more battery than the R4. By how much, I'm not sure, never saw any actual figures quoted. The Battery Saver I heard improves battery life significantly.

6. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I've not used Cyclo's battery saver myself,
    but I've seen it's effects firsthand.

It makes an incredible difference.

7. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Definitely have the battery saver feature turned on, unless you are having trouble with a specific game (turning the battery saver off solves some problems)

Do you have an EZ 3-in-1 plugged into slot 2? It continues to drain power when the DS is turned off, so make sure you swap it out with the dust cover except for when you want to use it.

I've noticed longer battery life than normal as soon as I started using the cyclo's battery saver (possibly even longer than with a normal cart, although I haven't timed it)

8. DrkXShadowZ

Newcomer DrkXShadowZ Member

United States
    12 to 15 hours on brightest setting with a CycloDS? I'm not so sure about that, as I've heard that flashcarts in general tend to limit the battery life to 6 hours or so. At least, this seems to be the consensus when I did some research and looked up reviews for the CycloDS before purchasing it. Not too sure about other flashcarts, I guess.

9. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Yes it does lower the charge to about what you said, you can get a few more hours with battery saver but I prefer to play with it off due to the issues it can cause with certain (tho i think few) games.

10. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Wtf? You cannot get 12-15 hours even on the lowest brightness setting.

Second highest brightness setting is the most popular choice, though it still uses up a ton of energy. Thus, it's not a very good setting as the brightness/battery life ratio is horrible. I recommend switching to the third to brightest setting, which uses up significantly less energy. The screen brightness will be visibly reduced, but you'll definitely notice an increase in the battery life.

Alternatively you can get the DSi which has more brightness settings, so it could be more balanced.

11. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica

That is a lame recommendation, coming from you, since you ignored that they are using a CycloDS to make your statement. A CycloDS is limited to the DS and DSL.

It is already been suspected that microSDHC draw more power to run, that crops up in every subforum here. All you can do is do preventitive measures such as the power save, low lighting, use the higher capacity batteries, charge from a USB hub instead of the AC.

12. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I was kidding on that suggestion. I would not recommend the DSi for anything. [​IMG]

13. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    hmmmm.... you didn't recommend him the wii fit board, it teaches you how to balance.