Basic PSP game translation

how to translate some psp games (does not show you how to translate every word, it's just the basics)
This tutorial takes kh bbs as example,you can use this tut for other games, but keep in mind that something may change, and it will most likely happen... Translating a game requires a lot of patience and time.
Here's the tutorial:
Don't worry, it isn't very difficult to translate games.
You only have to keep in mind some rules. Birth by Sleep is an uncompressed game, so translating it is easy.
You don't need to know japanese, because you can find on youtube the translated videos by strwmilk for bb/bbs fms. but of course for most games you need japanese knowledge, you can use websites or my japanese coach for ds to learn it.
You have to download an hex editor, in this case, I recommend you the Madedit one.
It lets you see Japanese Fonts, you have to go to Characters Encoding and select Windows Japanese. Make sure you can see japanese fonts on your pc. After that you can go here : http://kh_bbs.wikiwiki.jp and copy and paste the jap characters that you see in the japanese video of the game. Let's start with the second part...

The translation itself:

Start Madedit and open the BBS0.dat( Extract it from the ISO, using Winrar )
If you were able to open that file, then, click on the Search function, and paste the jap characters by pressing ctrl+v .
It will take a lot of time to find the words and don't worry if the program won't answer to your commands.
When it will find the sentence that you were looking for, you have to keep in mind these few rules:

The program is divided in three tables,
the first one, on the left, contains the "offsets", the second one contains hex values, such as 00 and 0A( I mention these ones, cause they are the most important) and the third one contains text. You only have to pay attention to the second and third one.

I will now explain to you, the functions of 00 and 0A...
00 is a null value, it's extremely important, cause you CAN'T overwrite or delete them. They mark the beginning and the ending of the sentence.
0A lets you go to next line, you can move them as you wish, but keep in mind that you can't move it a lot from where it was originally.

Another important thing is that you MUSTN'T PRESS DELETE WHEN YOU'RE USING THE HEX EDITOR, if you press it, you'll damage its structure by messing all the pointers out.

If you have any other doubt, just ask me. When I'll have free time, I'll be pleased to help you.

Byeee!

this tutorial doesn't tell you how to translate all of the game
ps:it only tells you the basics

zerodown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a pity that not a few people are interested in doing translations for the psp, there are several RPG's that I would like to play that still don't have a translation like Summon Night 3, Summon Night 4, Summon Night 5 (despite having an English version voices removed so Summon Night 5 needs a JAP version translation), Shining Blade, Shining Hearts, Shining Ark.

SERVOLT6

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I've researched this a bit and tried but my laptop was not really great so it didn't work out, I want to try my hand on translating when I do get a better one.
You mentioned copying the kanji used in the game, right? I checked the jp wikiwiki for kh bbs but I couldn't find a video, is there any other way you know of getting the kanji's used in a game?
Where do you paste the kanji?
Where do you download Madedit?
And how long does translating a game usually take, if they're text heavy?

Thank for your time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse