OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Step 1: Rent (or buy) a game.
Step 2: Dump header
Step 3: Return (or sell used)
Result: Person without a flashcard gets banned.

Nobunaga

Empty
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't think it only looks for the header but the files of your SD Card also or your installed apps ^^
So it's not safe to go online with EmuNAND even if you do use private headers.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it does go by the header data, this would be very bad. A non-pirate person who sold their game could receive a ban just because they played that copy before. Thus buying and selling used games for the 3ds is put into danger. Part Nintendo's fault, part pirates fault.

Hkari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don't know if that's the only thing that Nintendo looks for or if 2 people is enough to trigger a flag. If it isn't triggered until 10 people, there will be less false positives. Multiple people in the big thread seemed to be using the headers in the giant 2,2 online thread (meaning probably 1000+ people with the same header) or the sky3DS's default template header. We don't know enough about the banning system to know if it is broken. Just because you don't like something means it's banned.

And in your example, Nintendo could ask the banned person to provide proof of their purchase or to send in the game pak for a replacement and just unban them.

Reactions: Zidapi

LoneGrenade

IT Technician/Rookie Coder
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It hasn't been proven that they only look at headers. There are definitely ways that they can tell the difference between a real cartridge and a flash cart. I also don't doubt their ability to detect a mismatched header. No one should feel safe unless you're using 100% legit games that only you have owned.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It hasn't been proven that they only look at headers. There are definitely ways that they can tell the difference between a real cartridge and a flash cart. I also don't doubt their ability to detect a mismatched header. No one should feel safe unless you're using 100% legit games that only you have owned.
I wonder if the newest 1st party games have some stealthy anti-piracy code inside...

Reactions: LoneGrenade

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
They'll be banning whole consoles soon, i can guarantee that with about 90% accuracy. Nintendo have got to figure out how to do it, and after that they will unleash the fury of the banhammer on poor unsuspecting Gateway users.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, no. They are just banning over used headers if anything. I play games online on my 3DS with private headers and I'm golden. I played MH4G online during the time people got banned and I'm still good. The only connection for people so far is Pokemon and Public headers. I will assume the latter.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, no. They are just banning over used headers if anything. I play games online on my 3DS with private headers and I'm golden. I played MH4G online during the time people got banned and I'm still good. The only connection for people so far is Pokemon and Public headers. I will assume the latter.

If I play my legit retail cart of Pokemon X while using Emunand, I'm still fine though, right?

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I play my legit retail cart of Pokemon X while using Emunand, I'm still fine though, right?
Should be. Classic mode doesn't use exploit it just runs on emunand. Honestly I doubt Nintendo can tell you are on Emunand. It probably represents itself as the sysnand completely. When you use a header with the gateway patcher it fixes it to match the game. The only thing that doesn't change is chip manufacturer and I doubt that matters that Sandisk created the chip the game is on.

Headers work like CD keys for sure. Each must be unique. It's just they never blocked multiple instances online.

Reactions: Kakkoii

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol, every time one of us decides to sell a used game, we should dump the header and publish it for the masses. If Nintendo really can't recognize the real cartridges this would create some chaos :D.

On the other hand Nintendo doesn't care for the market for used games, they want people to buy new stuff.

Then again they don't want a lot of angry legit customers... ^^

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
I assume they simply went over the public headers for 1st party titles present in the sky3ds template and ban consoles based on that (the template pretty much provides a whole database of public headers for them to work with, it can't get easier than that), in fact consoles running using sky3ds and clones on the latest firmware, with therefore no "custom" software installed have been banned, which pretty much proves the point that header have been targeted.

Whether they target anything else is unknown at this point, they however have ways to easily tell the difference between a genuine running title from the eshop to one installed from a CTR Importable Archive (aka CIA), making it quite the giveaway. (methods can vary from checksums, to eshop db verifications, including signature checks, header checks, tmd checks...) It is in fact a lot easier to tell that an installed title isn't genuine than a gamecard with let's say a working private/public header is, even though people foolishly believe they are safe because ".cia do not use card headers".

Lordjontan

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I assume they simply went over the public headers for 1st party titles present in the sky3ds template and ban consoles based on that (the template pretty much provides a whole database of public headers for them to work with, it can't get easier than that), in fact consoles running using sky3ds and clones on the latest firmware, with therefore no "custom" software installed have been banned, which pretty much proves the point that header have been targeted.

Whether they target anything else is unknown at this point, they however have ways to easily tell the difference between a genuine running title from the eshop to one installed from a CTR Importable Archive (aka CIA), making it quite the giveaway. (methods can vary from checksums, to eshop db verifications, including signature checks, header checks, tmd checks...) It is in fact a lot easier to tell that an installed title isn't genuine than a gamecard with let's say a working private/public header is, even though people foolishly believe they are safe because ".cia do not use card headers".

Well ,there is not people banned for use .cia, so for now is safer

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

There is...
I've never used a .3dz game but I've used plenty of .3ds and .cia games with Gateway and I've received the message.
What flashcard were you using (Gateway or Sky3DS etc): Gateway

What game were you playing: Last few games I played were OoT 3D (CIA), Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire (CIA), A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

What was your sysNAND firmware version when playing: 4.5

What was your emuNAND firmware version when playing: 9.5

Were you using a .CIA or a .3DZ: .CIA

Can you visit other online Nintendo services such as eShop and Miiverse: Haven't tried Miiverse, but eShop gives me the message once before letting me continue every time I launch it

Does that ban apply to just that game or every online game you try: I tested Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire (CIA) and Friends List are all I've tested so far.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France

No, it's not safe, I just told you that Nintendo technically have ways to easily identify an installed title that does not come from the eshop.

There is no point in saying something is "safer", either it is safe or it isn't, for all you know they might come around tomorrow and start banning people using "non genuine" installed titles, hell they could be building a db for their next ban wave as we speak.

The truth is, as of today, until they add built-in APIs in FIRM to identify a running cfw (or a "non genuine" title) on an offline basis (yes they can do that with a fw update, gw folks just can't spot everything, sky3ds users are even in more trouble if let's say nintendo installs an offline database of "undesirable headers") the only way you can be "safe" is using your own dumps with the original headers dumped from your card.

By the way if you think that can't be done, Microsoft had a similar system in place on the Xbox360 to identify/flag consoles that were running backup or a modified kernel (with hashes checked in some areas of memory at runtime) even as they were disconnected from the xbox live. As soon as the console connected back to the Xbox Live servers, it reported its status, including the flag, which was stored safely in Microsoft's server for their next ban wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If your not getting your pills from Psi's discount drugs who knows what your swallowing! +1