Hacking banner brick free of charge repaired by nintendo

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lime_slusho said:
think that'll work for NOA? and what if they find out about my vc injections?

they'll feed you to the orchas they keep in the back room

anyways, I don't care if anyone else does this, I just wouldnt do it myself.
mostly cause if you brick your wii, you deserve to have to deal with it.
and the ways of dealing with it aren't unreasonable.
but whatever, more power to ya.

lime_slusho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
lime_slusho said:
think that'll work for NOA? and what if they find out about my vc injections?

they'll feed you to the orchas they keep in the back room

anyways, I don't care if anyone else does this, I just wouldnt do it myself.
mostly cause if you brick your wii, you deserve to have to deal with it.
and the ways of dealing with it aren't unreasonable.
but whatever, more power to ya.
How likely is it I'll get in legal trouble?

punto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
the correct car analogy would be this: you BUY a car. you PAY MONEY for it, and it's YOURS. So you want to open up the hood to adjust the carburator, or change the oil, or whatever car freaks like to do with their cars, but you realize the hood is welded shut. You can't open it. The next day, you're driving around the city, and you decide you want to drive to the airport, so you try to get on the highway, and the car is like "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that", and suddenly you find that you can't use your own car to go to where you want.
So you say "fuck this", and start messing around with the safety features that were put there specifically to prevent you from using YOUR car, which you BOUGHT, PAID MONEY for, the way you want. And the car is ruined.

Is it Nintendo's fault? Fuck yeah it is, because they sell you a computer system, and they don't let you run software on it, and they put all this stuff on it to stop you from doing it.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonicslasher said:
Look, if you're gonna steal from Nintendo, why not lie to them?
True. If you own a flash card, you most likely downloaded/stole more then what the Wii is worth. If you have used the Backup Loader or a modchip, its the same concept. Either way, you stole from Nintendo. And even if the reason that the Wii bricked was because of person, Nintendo still has the obligation to fix it since its still under there warranty.

trent_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
punto said:
the correct car analogy would be this: you BUY a car. you PAY MONEY for it, and it's YOURS. So you want to open up the hood to adjust the carburator, or change the oil, or whatever car freaks like to do with their cars, but you realize the hood is welded shut. You can't open it. The next day, you're driving around the city, and you decide you want to drive to the airport, so you try to get on the highway, and the car is like "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that", and suddenly you find that you can't use your own car to go to where you want.
So you say "fuck this", and start messing around with the safety features that were put there specifically to prevent you from using YOUR car, which you BOUGHT, PAID MONEY for, the way you want. And the car is ruined.

Is it Nintendo's fault? Fuck yeah it is, because they sell you a computer system, and they don't let you run software on it, and they put all this stuff on it to stop you from doing it.
Nintendo made it clear that you could only use their official Wii software in their console.

Everyone can get on their soapbox about how Nintendo is a big company and they treat everyone unfairly, but it all boils down to this: they made a closed platform. It was never designed to be futzed around with as much as the homebrewers have been. We're lucky they've been so lax in patching up the holes in their security (ie. their half-assed attempt of blocking the twilight hack). Sure you bought their console, and sure you have a right for fucking around it, but they don't owe you a god damned thing if you brick it. It's not their responsiblity to fix something that you break when you violate the EULA and start performing dangerous operations (such as installing WADs).

So to respond to your analogy: you buy the car, have fun opening it and adjusting all the internals. Don't take it back to the manufacturer and demand a new one when you blow up the engine.

yukine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo isn't stupid, they know what you did to the Wii and decide to fix it anyway. They don't have to, they could say you tampered with the software and thus voided your warranty.

So props to Nintendo for spending the money to fix something that isn't their fault.

Meanwhile, we'll keep pirating their software. Because we're dicks.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
OP
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
judgedee said:
FGOD said:
the fact is that with a little lie if you can't get it back to work in any way, you can just send it to nintendo, that was my whole point...

you just realized this?

how old are you?

p.s

this trick works with all company not just nintendo in case you you didn't know
wink.gif

first of all, WTF, I mean how old do you think you are with a post like this. I mean how childish can you be...

and btw, you cannot do this with all companies, and maybe i was having lucky, cause normally they do check what went wrong... but if you put it right within warenty then you can get them to just fix/replace it...

and to get the point clear to everybody here (cause you all seem to think i just wanted it replaced) I DIDN'T WANT IT REPLACED! i just hoped they would repair it by formatting, if they then decide to replace it instead of doing a format, that's their problem.

And even if it wasn't within warenty or they did find out what i did, then i still would had a replaced wii for 92€ cause wii's without warenty they just replace with another wii for 92€. So what is the whole deal of you all getting pissed of about it. the point of this threat is that i made it to make it clear that as far as banner brick here in netherlands/benelux you can just get it fixed for free or for max 92€.

and you all should call the techinical service in your country to find out how it is there if you have it bricked or whatever it is that made it not work anymore without warrenty...

so stop shouting to eachother and do normal posts!

pebls123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
What kind of an analogy is that? I am the driver doing the hacks... The car is my wii... So the parent (probably father) is nintendo... Who the hell is the child? The parent produced my car?
I found his analogy was better than yours and it would be more like this:
You->You
Parent->Nintendo
Child(product of parent)->Wii(product of Nintendo)
Car->Hack / wad used
Crash->Banner Brick

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
pebls123 said:
WiiCrazy said:
What kind of an analogy is that? I am the driver doing the hacks... The car is my wii... So the parent (probably father) is nintendo... Who the hell is the child? The parent produced my car?
I found his analogy was better than yours and it would be more like this:
You->You
Parent->Nintendo
Child(product of parent)->Wii(product of Nintendo)
Car->Hack / wad used
Crash->Banner Brick

No it's total failure, if it was my child then it makes sense... How many children one father could possibly have? Nintendo produced about some 27*10^6 wiis and I don't think they do care about my wii as their kids...

If I were a hacker ruining nintendo's business and got myself in trouble then the analogy makes sense... then you would be talking about the wii as all or meaningful proportion of all the wiis in the world...

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the stupidity of people on this forum is fucking amazing.
When you buy the Wii and use their Software, you agree to their regulations. You do stuff that goes against those regulations, you lose their protection and repair service. End of story. Next one of you idiots is gonna beat someone's head in with a flashlight, and then demand the flashlight manufacturer gets you out of jail because you think it was their fault that they didn't supply you with a get-out-of-jail-free card if you misuse their product to kill someone.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
OP
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Arakon said:
When you buy the Wii and use their Software, you agree to their regulations. You do stuff that goes against those regulations, you lose their protection and repair service. End of story. Next one of you idiots is gonna beat someone's head in with a flashlight, and then demand the flashlight manufacturer gets you out of jail because you think it was their fault that they didn't supply you with a get-out-of-jail-free card if you misuse their product to kill someone.

go and shout at somebody else, cause you know shit about things, nintendo do repair things that bricked it even if it is your own fault. They only ask payment for it. that is the only exeption. so just shut up and go hit yourself with a flashlight!

i'm getting pretty sick of all those whole pretend to know all and shout at everybody!

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rlw said:
lime_slusho said:
How likely is it I'll get in legal trouble?

Very likely.

NOT true at all. no legal trouble will amount from doing modification to your wii.

Raiyu245 said:
Nintendo still has the obligation to fix it since its still under there warranty.

no they don't, because once you use any homebrew, it isn't under warranty anymore; sure you could make them think it was, that doesn't mean it is.

QUOTE(yukine @ Oct 5 2008, 03:58 AM)
Nintendo isn't stupid, they know what you did to the Wii and decide to fix it anyway. They don't have to, they could say you tampered with the software and thus voided your warranty.So props to Nintendo for spending the money to fix something that isn't their fault.

exactly, they could be aholes and investigate every single case, or hammer you over the phone with details.
after all, do you know someone how has had a brick because their power went out during an update/vc DL?
I doubt it, which means you have no true proof that it would even result in a banner brick, that whole logic is just a theory.

I didnt hear one report about people's system menus failing when they screwed up the 15% trick with SSBB

but, they take your word, because nintendo happens to have some of the nicest customer service around.
as well as they just dont feel like using the resources to investigate things.
and they are well aware of piracy/modification.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
OP
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes indead, but even so, like you say they have the nicest customer service around and without warrenty they still replace it for a small amount of money and like i said, even if they would have looked, then they would have asked for the amount of money they ask for to replace the wii without the warrenty cause i would have voided it...

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WiiCrazy said:
Arakon said:
WiiCrazy said:
linkinworm said:
yea you lied to them, they dont know the real reason do they. thats why they repaired it

well their failure with the crappy system menu and not putting a recovery mechanism for end users into it...

Their failure for not adding a recovery mechanism for people who are fucking around with hacks and cracks? WTF kinda logic is that? You probably run a little kid over with your car and go "yeah, it was the parent's fault for not equipping the child with full body armor".

Actually it fits very well. The driver is you, the car is the hack, the child is the Wii, the body armor is the recovery mode and the parents are Nintendo.
But I have to say that it is a little extreme and Nintendo really should have includet a better recovery mode. Not just for our sake, but for theirs, too. They probably could have saved a lot of Wiis that now landed in the trash...

Edit: Ah crap. I overlooked a few posts. This was allready discussed...

QUOTE(Arakon @ Oct 5 2008, 10:05 PM)
Actually in most countrys you have a warrenty period guaranteed by law (in germany it's two years). The terms Nintendo gives you have nothing to do with it, since they are not legaly binding. They are just there to scare you. However, once you destroy the gadget the warrenty was for yourself, like throwing it fro a roof or installing things that you know could very well destroy it, your warrenty is ofcourse void.
wink.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Slowking said:
Actually it fits very well. The driver is you, the car is the hack, the child is the Wii, the body armor is the recovery mode and the parents are Nintendo.
But I have to say that it is a little extreme and Nintendo really should have includet a better recovery mode. Not just for our sake, but for theirs, too. They probably could have saved a lot of Wiis that now landed in the trash...

Look 5 posts above my post... Nintendo didn't produce *only* the wii that I bought, so the analogy doesn't fit right there...

@Arakon : Nothing to reply about your post, I already reported it.

And for everyone... here is a little anecdote...

No guilt in the thief?

One day Hodja Nasreddin got his donkey stolen. With grief he tells the case to his neighbours... each one took it into one way or another..

One :

- Hodja, why didn't you put a stronger lock onto the stable's door?

The other :

- That thief just breaks in and you hear nothing!

And another one said "Hodja, don't look down on me but you are responsible that you got your donkey stolen. Because you don't seem to have a proper stable, look it's just falling into pieces."

And Hodja gets angry

- Oh my god, well said but do you think I have all the guilt? Ain't thief got any?

Well here is a bad translation of a Nasreddin Hodja's anecdote... Now don't try to make a direct analogy to the actual case since this is somewhat different... Neither Hodja is the poor man who bricked his wii, nor the donkey is the wii... even thief is not Nintendo... one fact straight, neighbours look like some of the gbatemp crowd...

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WiiCrazy said:
Slowking said:

Look 5 posts above my post... Nintendo didn't produce *only* the wii that I bought, so the analogy doesn't fit right there...
Well there are fathers who produced over 30 childreen. Does that make the analogy right again.
wink.gif

Look I allready said, that it is extremely over the top, but it absolutely fits in it's core.
wink.gif
An analogy is never 100% accurate or else it wouldn't be an analogy, it would be a retell...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Slowking said:
Well there are fathers who produced over 30 childreen. Does that make that analogy right again.
wink.gif

Look I allready said, that it is extremely over the top, but it absolutely fits in it's core.
wink.gif

Still not... even if you can compare the numbers you are missing one point... the wii that is bricked is in my posession, you are talking about someone elses single child out of 30... doesn't fit in...

So If I rented the thing then you could have said you adopted that kid blah blah... anyway, that's enough...

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cut the analogies...

If my wii fails for whatever reason and is still on warantee I'm going to do whatever is possible for them to switch it for free, if it fails I'll pay.

But who is retarded enough to call them and when they ask why it's broken answer: "I broke it."?

I don,t care whose fault it is... nintendo are super rich, they don't care who broke the wii, they just want your money. You better just lie to them and get it fixed for fre, they'll probably fix this one easily and send it back to someone else who's busted their wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: Idk