Homebrew Bad rom

Swift Finch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere that playing a "bad" rom on your ds can brick it.

Not good.

Should I be worried about this? If so, can they be check with no$ just to be safe?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Eh, a while ago there was a bricker going around, but I've never heard anything about it being implanted into commercial ROMs. Running it in no$gba probably wouldn't do anything, but if you use something like OfflineList to identify your ROMs, you'll know for sure that they haven't been modified in any way. As for homebrew, just don't download from anywhere you don't trust. If you're still nervous about it, you can install FlashMe, a hacked firmware which includes recovery code in case of your DS getting bricked. If your DS is fairly recent though (say, in the last year, maybe two? Anyone have better figures?) it probably has its firmware protected in hardware. That's assuming your DS didn't sit around in a store/factory or be second-hand, obviously.

Swift Finch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ds I was going to use was going to be bought in probably about a month, so I guess that would be new.

Does FlashMe require a slot2 device?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
It would work for installing, but unfortunately, neither of those cards are compatible with the recovery mode of FlashMe, so if your DS gets bricked somehow, you'll have to find some other card to use to unbrick it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong