Gaming Backwards Compatibility UMD's

dayjay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone else worried about the Vita's backwards compatiblity? I know that Vita has BC for the psn psp games but what about UMD's? I'd like to still be able to use my UMD's and not all psp games are available on the psn.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Alex_32571 said:
TwinRetro said:
There is no UMD drive. Vita games will be on cartridges.
I have a third-cousin that works for Sony that has confirmed this.
no ISO anymore?
blink.gif

is it a proprietary ROM file?

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if there's no more isos, do you think the ps2 releases are going to be in a different format? or will it be like the ps1 releases on the psp?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
roastable said:
if there's no more isos, do you think the ps2 releases are going to be in a different format? or will it be like the ps1 releases on the psp?

Probably like PSX releases on the PSP and the NGP will run an emulator or something. I thought there were rumors of a PS2 emulator in development by Sony for the PS3 but they realized they could just get more money if they sold "HD Collections" (which they're pooping out in a sufficient number these days). Odds are the Vita can handle PS2 games.

EDIT: I'm too used to saying NGP so if I say NGP, I mean Vita. My bad.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
djricekcn said:
I am more worried about if it's REGION FREE or not. did Sony mention anything about region restrictions?
Nothing so far dude. I'm hoping Sony doesn't do what Nintendo did and region lock their handheld.

It won't mean much to the average consumer, but it will keep the vocal minority very happy for a short time until they find something else to complain about.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
djricekcn said:
I am more worried about if it's REGION FREE or not. did Sony mention anything about region restrictions?
If it's like on PSP/PS3, it'll be for the developer to decide.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Maedhros said:
djricekcn said:
If it's like on PSP/PS3, it'll be for the developer to decide.
Uh, not at all. Every PSP and PS3 games are completely region free. You are thinking about the 360, which has some JP games that work and some that don't.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, and depending on region free or not, I have to get two consoles...which will be more money wasted on my end but I have to do it to play both region games effect. god damn myself for being native Japanese and American

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
And on that front, there is some good news. Sony Europe's Michael Denny has said that "to the best of his knowledge" the Vita will, like Sony's previous disc-based PSP handhelds, be region-free.

so good news, at least for now

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I heard that region lock on the 3DS was done to prevent piracy...

But anyways, vita being region free is great for consumers. Although I do expect importing games to be kill3rs.

Lights

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djricekcn said:
Yeah, and depending on region free or not, I have to get two consoles...which will be more money wasted on my end but I have to do it to play both region games effect. god damn myself for being native Japanese and American

The older PSP's has a region change in the Recovery Menu when hacked, I assume the Playstation Vita will be hacked and have the same compatibility.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
worried here.. i buy most of my games in UMD from second hand market, can't help it i just love good deals.. i hope Sony will use that survey about Vita new features i seen in usernews and add one for PSP compatibility

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Purple_Heart, I'm old as well. 👴