Gaming Backwards compatibility is a "must"

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, nothing physical (3DS or Wii U) will be backwards compatible but what about the eShop versions of various 3DS and Wii U games? Sure physical BC has been ruled out but since we can possibly link our NNIDs to our NS systems, they could make almost every one of Nintendo's past console and handheld library of games, playable in digital form; I see NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, and GBA being no issue. But for the more modern consoles/handhelds; Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS, that could be a problem.

DS, 3DS, and Wii U used touch screens and sometimes two screens but I think that can be fixed (at least with DS and 3DS games) where the screen on the left is the top screen and the screen on the right is the bottom screen, or vise versa. The Wii U's official VC DS emulator allows you to change the screen layouts (except you can't have them left and right), only sideways, small screen and big screen, and original DS boarder screen. The NS could fix that problem but dropping touchscreen support would be bad, very bad! We have been using touchscreens on Nintendo consoles for like 12 years now and they better not drop that. Even if we don't need a stylus to play DS, 3DS, and Wii U games; at least that's no big deal. Besides, a lot of my DS cartridges aren't being read by my DS/DSi/3DS/N3DS that well. As for Wii games, they use motion controls. Whether or not, Wiimotes and numchucks are BC or not; this would be Nintendo controllers for 2 generations ago and usually BC only goes back by 1 generation, they could still release a special controller for Wii games. I mean we have over 20+ Wii games on the Wii U eShop right now and if they're not BC with the NS, then Nintendo wasted its time on adding them to the Wii U eShop. Same goes with DS VC games, if the NS cannot play them. Just because physical BC has been axed off, doesn't mean digital BC has.

What do you guys think about BC for the NS? If BC is axed off completely, then the NS will be an even bigger failure that the Wii U.
NS is BS cuz BC is FTW! POC zomg.

letter salad aside, You're still forgetting the main bit. They'd have to construct an emulator for the 3ds and for Wii U. 3ds probably wouldn't be as terrible, as there are at least some instructions that are backward compatible, but Wii U emulation isn't something that's going to be possible on a machine like the switch.

The wii games on the wii u eshop weren't emulated like you're thinking though. They weren't emulated completely through the software, as they'd have to be for the Switch, they could run off the hardware, more or less.

Also ds and all other emulators were written to work on the Wii/Wii U architecture. They'd have to rewrite all the emulation code to be able to be used on the Switch. This includes the nes, snes, gba, etc, emulators as well. Hopefully it won't be as much work (who knows if they could use the ones on the 3ds with a bit of work, or have to start from scratch), but they still have a lot of work to do. It's not a simple matter of copypasta.

Touchscreens though, who knows. Might still be a thing, but we'll see.

Last edited by osaka35,

Moritz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Forgot about backward compatibility, I see nintendo not releasing a switch e-shop version, unless they release blank cartridges so you can save your digital games on them, its unliked that nintendo wants that you carry a HDD with switch, it kills the portable idea.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, emulation is the only option. I'm just worried about some games being omitted entirely; mainly 3DS, Wii, and Wii U games. NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS games are hopefully taken care of, thanks to the Virtual Console. I'm not even talking about the hundreds of 3DS and Wii U eShop games like the Shantae series and Shovel Knight. Wii games on the Wii U are not emulated, the same way as NES, SNES, N64, GBA, and DS games. All those use save states, where Wii games don't.
I'm sure it will have the VC all the way to the GBA and maybe even the DS and Wii. Probably redownload NS versions of 3DS and Wii U eShop games. Probably take sometime before they are all back up there. It is the 3ds and Wii U retail games that you have to worry most about.

it would be nice to play my wii u ssb online on the switch, but even nicer if we get a complete new ssb (no port) for the switch.

a new ssb for switch will be the reason i will buy the switch.
A new SSB would be 3 to 4 years away, if that. They could just keep adding dlc instead.

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i agree on the fact that they shouldn't give up on touch screen so abruptly
but what do you mean by left screen right screen?
They can't put touch screen as what happens when you connect the console to the dock and you must play with a joystick? This would create two different experiences, and you couldn't play some games with the dock.

Last edited by Mazamin,

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
This Switch is starting to sound more and more disappointing, the more stuff I hear about it.

Don't give up on it yet, remember that if nintendo fails to deliver, it would still be a glorified shield. Maybe with homebrew someone will be able to implement emulators or something like that. (no 3ds/wiiu though, your only shot at that is that ninty themselves do it)

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't give up on it yet, remember that if nintendo fails to deliver, it would still be a glorified shield. Maybe with homebrew someone will be able to implement emulators or something like that. (no 3ds/wiiu though, your only shot at that is that ninty themselves do it)
Yeah, give us Virtual Console games or give us emulators! I really wish they would allow a PSNow like service for VC games; except you don't stream the games, you own them as long as you have a paid subscription to the service. That would really help the Virtual Console, a lot! Give it the "Netflix/PSNow" treatment. It should be like $9.99-$14.99 a month. These games cost way too much individually. I spend like $40-50 on them, every month, sometimes more.

I think 3DS games will come eventually, the same way DS VC games came to the Wii U. But that probably won't be until around 2020 or 2021. As for Wii U games, they'll just port them over and the Wii U didn't have that large of a library, compared to the Wii. I do think Wii games will be added, though. Nintendo releases a lot of them on the Wii U eShop. They almost have like 30 Wii games by now.

Last edited by 03bgood,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*guy with 3DS*
"I like my 3DS a lot"
*Nintendo announces switch; no BC*
"Ohmygerd how am I meant to play 3DS?! This is bullshit!?!" *throws 3DS out the window*

Nintendo has stated the NS is not a replacement for the 3DS, it is only a home console replacement (not to say it's going that way though). But this statement is like saying the PS3 isn't backwards compatible with the PSP.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've heard, PPC is a total bitch to emulate on ARM, so if that's the case, it doesn't help either.
I'm not surprised, might explain why Dolphin is a wonky on Android devices, if unofficial emulation for consoles that used PPC will be an issue, Nintendo isn't gonna be much better off if they write a Wii U emulator for the Switch. Given their
track record for writing sub par emulators for Snes, NES and N64, yeah, I wouldn't put it past them.

Reactions: Deleted User

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I can extrapolate from history. Nintendo's BC started with the wii. The first console of theirs to allow you to play the previous console's games. Why wouldn't they, it has a regular sized DVD slot. The Wii U did the same, again, why not. But this is different. It takes carts, not DVDs, and who cares, the eshop will probably exist again allowing you to get games they already put up there.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I could care less about BC. I'm keeping my wii u and my vwii and getting a switch. I don't need it
I'm saving up for a Wii U specifically for Wii and Gamecube games, and some certain Wii U games (Splatoon, Sm4sh, MK8, etc,) so the Switch not having backwards compat really, really doesn't matter to me either.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm saving up for a Wii U specifically for Wii and Gamecube games, and some certain Wii U games (Splatoon, Sm4sh, MK8, etc,) so the Switch not having backwards compat really, really doesn't matter to me either.
who give a damn...? well i just gave you one ;)

TEINDTPA

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
Sure, nothing physical (3DS or Wii U) will be backwards compatible but what about the eShop versions of various 3DS and Wii U games? Sure physical BC has been ruled out but since we can possibly link our NNIDs to our NS systems, they could make almost every one of Nintendo's past console and handheld library of games, playable in digital form; I see NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, and GBA being no issue. But for the more modern consoles/handhelds; Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS, that could be a problem.

DS, 3DS, and Wii U used touch screens and sometimes two screens but I think that can be fixed (at least with DS and 3DS games) where the screen on the left is the top screen and the screen on the right is the bottom screen, or vise versa. The Wii U's official VC DS emulator allows you to change the screen layouts (except you can't have them left and right), only sideways, small screen and big screen, and original DS boarder screen. The NS could fix that problem but dropping touchscreen support would be bad, very bad! We have been using touchscreens on Nintendo consoles for like 12 years now and they better not drop that. Even if we don't need a stylus to play DS, 3DS, and Wii U games; at least that's no big deal. Besides, a lot of my DS cartridges aren't being read by my DS/DSi/3DS/N3DS that well. As for Wii games, they use motion controls. Whether or not, Wiimotes and numchucks are BC or not; this would be Nintendo controllers for 2 generations ago and usually BC only goes back by 1 generation, they could still release a special controller for Wii games. I mean we have over 20+ Wii games on the Wii U eShop right now and if they're not BC with the NS, then Nintendo wasted its time on adding them to the Wii U eShop. Same goes with DS VC games, if the NS cannot play them. Just because physical BC has been axed off, doesn't mean digital BC has.

What do you guys think about BC for the NS? If BC is axed off completely, then the NS will be an even bigger failure that the Wii U.

Maybe someday Nintendo will suspend Wii U Eshop and fusion it with the Eshop of the new3ds , i don't know if it is what it will happen but anyway ,if it happen it will happen really soon maybe 1-2 month before official Nintendo switch release!

And after the release Nintendo will merge Eshop of the 3ds to the switch and then Nintendo will have 1 shop for all console(it will hurt their wallet for sure at first) but in the end Nintendo will win a lot from their fans ,maybe in 2018 when the JWST will be release into space , Nintendo will release New Handled with 2 screen that will revolution the portability of the gaming!

IF they do that oh man Nintendo gonna be the world leader in gaming destroying Xbox and PlayStation because of them not be so different from a PC!

So i'm pretty sure Nintendo switch will support EVERY games They have made!

Sorry for my bad English hope you understand!

Last edited by TEINDTPA,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh