Hacking Backup loader question

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if there's a backup loader that will let you play games from a NTFS partition, without having to do anything special to the .iso?

Like for instance, CFG USB will let you play off of NTFS. But you first have to put the .iso in a wbfs folder on your hard drive(which isn't a big deal), and then rename the .iso to have the [GAME ID] in the file name. So are there any loaders that will play the .iso from NTFS while letting you rename the .iso to anything you want?

Thanks for any help.

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't use NTFS so I can't say for sure, but Wiibackupmanager should do all the transfering for you automatically.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never try NTFS myself, but I think USBLoaderGX can read all the filename.
I'll check it more if you want.
Edit : I didn't find anything relevant in the source code, I found only "wbfs:/title [game ID].iso" or "wbfs/folder/anything.iso".
I'm not sure if this is a limitation, and I don't remember if the "folder" need the Title ID too.

I suggest you just try the 2 other main loaders (Wiiflow, GX).

Or as chop suggested, you can set WiiBackupManager to rename all the folders and filenames inside wbfs/ folder on the fly. You select the filename format you want to use, and you check "update automatically on boot", then when you run WiiBackupManager again, it will be renamed the way you selected.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this isn't for me it's for my girl. I recently modded her Wii, and set up CFG USB to read games on her NTFS drive. I put a folder named wbfs on her root, and put a few games on it with the naming scheme Game Name [GAME ID].iso. And they all worked fine for me.

But she got her wii home, got a couple games of her own, and she can't get them to work. She's doing something wrong, so I was just wondering if there's anything a little easier for her to use.

"wbfs/folder/anything.iso"

^ That would be perfect if that's really how it works. If the ID doesn't need to be in the folder name also. I'll let her know about it, along with Wiibackupmanager.

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: Would you happen to know if Wiibackupmanager transfers the games to NTFS and renames them properly(Game Name [Game ID].iso) so they can work with a loader like CFG?

EDIT AGAIN: Well, the app doesn't function properly under Linux(doesn't pick up my drives), so I can't test it out myself. But, I did look in the Settings for the app, and under the FAT32/NTFS tab, there was an option to pick your naming scheme(Game [ID]). So I'm guessing this is going to be what she's looking for.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Q: Can it play .iso files directly?
A:
NTFS: Yes.
FAT: Yes but only .iso files which are smaller than 4GB such as forwarder .iso files or .iso files compacted with WiiScrubber. To solve the 4GB problem, convert the .iso to .wbfs format using the wbfs_file utility.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DespizingU said:
Would you happen to know if Wiibackupmanager transfers the games to NTFS and renames them properly(Game Name [Game ID].iso) so they can work with a loader like CFG?

EDIT AGAIN: Well, the app doesn't function properly under Linux(doesn't pick up my drives), so I can't test it out myself. But, I did look in the Settings for the app, and under the FAT32/NTFS tab, there was an option to pick your naming scheme(Game [ID]). So I'm guessing this is going to be what she's looking for.
Yes, WiiBackupManager is used to transfer and convert from/to many format (iso, ciso, .wbfs, wbfs partition).
when it's on a FAT32/NTFS partition it use the scheme you define in the option (Title [GameID], Title_[GameID], etc.).

That's what she has to look, she selects the scheme she want to use and it will be applied to all new transfered games when using the default behavior, which is :
1. listing games from your computer in "Files" tab
2. mounting the Wii NTFS partition on "Drive1" tabs
3. check the wanted games and choose "transfer to drive 1"
they will be transfered and the folder/filename will be set correctly. (and the file will be converted to .wbfs automatically. If you want to retain the .iso file, check the checkbox in the fat32/NTFS option tabs saying "use Iso for NTFS")

Now if she want to copy the .iso herself in the drive:/wbfs/ folder, then she can select the option "Automatically update storage convention when drive is mounted".
It will rename the files and folder structure according to her scheme preference whenever she mount the NTFS drive in "drive1" tabs.

If I can suggest you/her something, is using .wbfs instead of .iso if you don't need to keep the full clean iso file, as .wbfs will take a lot less space on the drive. Only the useful game's data is copied into the wbfs file.
use the 3 step method from above to convert iso to wbfs.

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I didn't know that .wbfs took up less space than .iso. I'll let her know to start transfering the games in .wbfs format. And thank you for the detailed instructions too. You've been a lot of help, cyan. Appreciate it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: