MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
All you need is one of these adapters, and you can dump the eMMC chip from whatever imaging app you want, Linux on a PC would be my go-to choice.

61O5G62n7GL._SL1366_.jpg

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you misunderstand, it takes up ~2.7Gb for sysnand then uses the remaining 32GB for storage.

No i didn't misunderstand - i know that's how it works but doesn't the dump include the whole nand? I.e. complete 1 to 1 copy of your whole NAND. Isn't that the point? Sure they changed this on 3DS though so you could just dump the SYSNAND (2.7G) as a backup though.

kombos

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
All you need is one of these adapters, and you can dump the eMMC chip from whatever imaging app you want, Linux on a PC would be my go-to choice.

View attachment 121297

Sure ;-) I know how to dump eMMC NAND's. I just want to dump it with the Linux I've got already running on my switch using dd without having to use any other external parts.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sure ;-) I know how to dump eMMC NAND's. I just want to dump it with the Linux I've got already running on my switch using dd without having to use any other external parts.
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure what your end-game was. I think you'll need a 64GB microSD card as a minimum then, just like the Wii U.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure what your end-game was. I think you'll need a 64GB microSD card as a minimum then, just like the Wii U.

Why are you guys making this so complicated. You have a full operating system on your switch with all sorts functions. Just set up a Samba share on your host PC and dump the Nand over wireless to your UNC path. No need to dump to an SD card and carry it over to the PC like we are troglodytes.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,
Reactions: Tilde88 and Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Why are you guys making this so complicated. You have a full operating system on your switch with all sorts functions. Just set up a Samba share on your host PC and dump the Nand over wireless to your UNC path. No need to dump to an SD card and carry it over to the PC like we are troglodytes.
Network dumping is so fucking slow though, no thanks. The Switch is soft-capped at 50 Megabits /sec which crawls for a 32GB dump.

Reactions: Shadow LAG

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Supposedly kate has a payload that turns the switch into a usb stick & you can just back up the emmc that way.

So if you can't easily back it up now, then soon you will.

Reactions: Disco Inferno

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you get linux running, read the nand from /dev/mmcblk1.

lsblk output:
Code:
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk1      179:0    0 29.1G  0 disk 
|-mmcblk1p1  179:1    0    4M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p2  179:2    0    4M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p3  179:3    0    8M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p4  179:4    0    8M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p5  179:5    0    8M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p6  179:6    0    8M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p7  179:7    0    8M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p8  259:0    0    8M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p9  259:1    0   64M  0 part 
|-mmcblk1p10 259:2    0  2.5G  0 part 
`-mmcblk1p11 259:3    0   26G  0 part 
mmcblk1boot0 179:8    0    4M  1 disk 
mmcblk1boot1 179:16   0    4M  1 disk

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Network dumping is so fucking slow though, no thanks. The Switch is soft-capped at 50 Megabits /sec which crawls for a 32GB dump.

The only problem I see with this statement is a soft cap is not possible when the switch is running a completely different operating system apart from the traditional boot loader. It's also been mentioned here the issue is with the eMMC speeds of the flash controller:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/looks-l...-50mb-s-both-wired-and-wireless.463324/page-5

This means, you will be getting, most likely, WORSE speeds dumping to an SD card as that is now bottlenecking at the card controller / flash chip.

In other words, network dump is your best bet.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,
Reactions: Tilde88 and Jayro

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Not yet. But I can see them coming even from SciresM him self in the future
For Now, you have to create payload that can do it :D

Damn. I had my fun seeing Linux run on my Switch so I'm going to hold off an anything exploit related until stuff starts coming out. Knowing how powerful the exploit is, I don't want to risk anything until I back up my NAND. (I'm sure running Linux won't somehow corrupt your NAND, but JUST in case)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The only problem I see with this statement is a soft cap is not possible when the switch is running a completely different operating system apart from the traditional boot loader. It's also been mentioned here the issue is with the eMMC speeds of the flash controller:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/looks-l...-50mb-s-both-wired-and-wireless.463324/page-5

This means, you will be getting, most likely, WORSE speeds dumping to an SD card as that is now bottlenecking at the card controller / flash chip.

In other words, network dump is your best bet.
I overlooked the OS doing the softcap, and you're right. I must have been tired.

Reactions: Shadow LAG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.