Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, I got a 1tb external drive fully loaded with games etc
if that suddenly dies I will be stuck and lose of all my game

is there anyway I could hook another drive up and back all of the games/content to another HDD for emergency purposes? or would I have to download everything again

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can try a docking station with the same matching size drive and clone it.
but how would u clone it via the settings in the wii u menu? Any reason why the drive needs to match exactly?

I have a 1TB with the games on but potential backup drive would be 500/750GB

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but how would u clone it via the settings in the wii u menu? Any reason why the drive needs to match exactly?

I have a 1TB with the games on but potential backup drive would be 500/750GB

Like I said you can try a docking station with a matching size drive, it clone 1:1 ratio without the need for a computer, but Im not sure if it work, think wii u is indexed.

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just know that will work for cloning the drive on the same Wii U. But if it was your Wii U that died nothing can make a drive work if you had to buy another Wii U because they encode the drive to only that Wii U. What I do is just keep backups of the WUP Installer files.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so to be clear

1. Connect second HDD to a docking station
2. Format the new HDD via the wii u and Go into settings and use the copy contents of the drive across to the new drive.
3. Remove the new drive (label it backup on there etc)

But if u keep backups of just the install files if the drive crashes u got to go in and copy each game again
surely an exact replacement of the HDD is better allbeit potentially a problem for saved game progresses etc.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you don't need a docking station if you were using wii u copy and paste method, but that would take forever due to USB 2.0 speed, as for using a docking station it mirror the drive 1 for 1, should work for wii u drive as it just doing an exact clone.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well you don't need a docking station if you were using wii u copy and paste method, but that would take forever due to USB 2.0 speed, as for using a docking station it mirror the drive 1 for 1, should work for wii u drive as it just doing an exact clone.

u mean do that via windows pc? if so im not sure that windows os would see the drive contents
surely the wii u drive is it its own format but not sureon that

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States

is there anyway I could hook another drive up and back all of the games/content to another HDD for emergency purposes? or would I have to download everything again
Is it really old enough to even worry about it? HDD's last for quite some time.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
They're unpredictable I've bought used ones on Ebay that still work from 7-8 years ago and bought new ones that died in 6 months. I think it's a good idea to back up stuff as much as possible.
Huh. I guess I just win the hard drive lottery. My HDD of 12 years is still going strong.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it vary, I bought a laptop back in Jan 2014, the SSD from that computer still work, as for a drive in a seagate gaming dock, the thing died within two weeks lmao, so it depends.

Reactions: WG481

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Hello,

you can try this, if that's okay with you ==>DumpsterU

Reactions: Alexander1970

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well it vary, I bought a laptop back in Jan 2014, the SSD from that computer still work, as for a drive in a seagate gaming dock, the thing died within two weeks lmao, so it depends.
Hello,

you can try this, if that's okay with you ==>DumpsterU

Thanks that app looks like what i need

Will check it out tomorrow
Is there any requirement to actually format the spare drive via the wii u first?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sandungas, an editor for psdevwiki, explained the process of cloning a ps3 drive if you were to initialize the drive accidentally. for that, you essentially make a clone of the disk on the pc, format the same drive in the ps3 (or it can be another drive, but it must be the same size), use a hex editor to mount the disk, then copy and paste the first 512bytes or the first sector. he said you should actually copy and paste a few of the beginning sectors to be sure. that's why you should get a drive that's the same size as yours just in case there's a problem.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the thing I don't know is that I think the seeprom increases by one with each format, but I don't know if that will cause a problem or if that's accurate, so don't format it on the wii u.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk