Hacking Awful Newzbin Speeds...

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
can anyone help me out? for the past few days i've been getting speeds of up around 60kbs until like 2 in the morning, then it increases to my normal speeds of 600-650kbs

I'm from england, i'm using a www.newshosting.com NH45 server and my News Reader is Newsbin Pro 4.3 (i've tried other Newsreaders, nothing changes)

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Probably your ISP, or your neighbors (If you have a cable internet connection and your neighbors are downloading alot, it could be killing your bandwidth). Have you speed tested during these slow periods to isolate the cause (the news server or your ISP)? Also, why is this in the wii forum and not the computer forum?

Edit: Added clarification

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadn't thought of leeching off the router, its a possibility. Check your router's management page for any devices that don't look familiar to you. Also, if you have any other computers in the house that someone else may be using, take a look at them as well. Make sure no one in your house is downloading while you're trying to as that could be affecting this as well.

I think its a bit too soon to talk to the usenet provider without doing a speed test first. Make sure its *not* your internet running slow before blaming the content provider. There are tons of speed tests out there that can help confirm your connection speed.

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BT Total Broadband... i did a speed test on their site

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6400 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 493 kbps

all my other downloads (eg. Rapidshare) work fine too

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try changing ports , newshosting has loads of different ones that you can try. Other than that , it's probably BT doing a bit of throttling as they suck.

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i tried every port on here http://www.newshosting.com/support/info/

and none make any sort of difference
frown.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i'm under contract :'(

hopefully this wont last too long... thanks anyway

If they ever change the terms & conditions you can leave. If you download a lot and can get cable in your area, get Virgin Media. Its unlimited downloading and they only cap between certain times when you have downloaded too much. For instance if your on the 20mb package they cap you between 4pm and 4am if you download more than 3gb. Then your capped to 6mb download speed. All DSL providers seem to cap you between certain times. They're unlimited service is unlimited online time and they let you download around 60gb a month before you get a letter. Some are worse than others.

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i'm under contract :'(

hopefully this wont last too long... thanks anyway

If they ever change the terms & conditions you can leave. If you download a lot and can get cable in your area, get Virgin Media. Its unlimited downloading and they only cap between certain times when you have downloaded too much. For instance if your on the 20mb package they cap you between 4pm and 4am if you download more than 3gb. Then your capped to 6mb download speed. All DSL providers seem to cap you between certain times. They're unlimited service is unlimited online time and they let you download around 60gb a month before you get a letter. Some are worse than others.

i dont have cable in my area... and on average i download like 60gbs a week lol

thanks for your help though... its 1:54 now so i can finally get NiGHTS
smile.gif

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bethere?. ADSL2+ , up to 24mbs. Obviously you won't get that unless your right on top of the exchange , but they don't bitch or moan at downloads. I've pulled nearly 30GB in the last day and half and they don't even blink
biggrin.gif

Oh and 3 month contract
smile.gif
, so not stuck with em.

avant1277

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I had a similar experience. I'm with Tiscali and all the news ports offered by my previous news provider were incredibly slow. Then I found they were throttling those ports.

I then set up a subscription with Giganews and use the https port 443. This works great all the time.

russ333

Trophies
XP
Country
Bt do traffic shape but they don't admit it. My bittorrent speeds are generally below 40 KBs until about 2am then it goes up to about 600KBs but back down again about 7 am. I wrote them an email but they just said it must be the way the my firewall is set up. Cr*p

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alas it seems it is between Bt and Virgin these days, both of which I would happily leave long behind (I did like the telewest that I had before they were gobbled up by virgin). Oh and the capping is set to worsen:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/10/vi...ottling_update/ (ignore the title and do the maths)

As for BT I have a homehub that works great via cable but the wireless only functions fast when I have a commercial DS game running online. I use giganews (unencrypted via port 80 or 119) and I am normally OK (or at least I was 2 months ago).

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if you get Giga-News or something else with SSL, you might have better luck. I mean, if it's throttling based on protocol, anyway....
If your connection is completely throttled during the day, then you're screwed :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo