away from the psp scene

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by bioterror, Sep 12, 2011.

Sep 12, 2011

away from the psp scene by bioterror at 9:15 PM (686 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. bioterror
    OP

Newcomer bioterror Member

United States
    I've been away from the psp scene for a couple months now, and want to update my psp with new custom firmware. What's the newest one, and what's the difference between PRO and ME?
    I have a phat psp running 5.50 prome-4, I tried to look at the guide above but can't really figure it out, any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. zygie

Member zygie GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    For indepth explanation about the differences, check out xist's guide and just scroll down to the PRO and ME section. In a nutshell, PRO is considered more stable than the experimental ME firmware.

Also, the guide is extremely hand-holding already. Since you're on old cfw, you have to use Hellcat's to flash back to 5.00 first.

Then you update to the corresponding official fw your custom fw of choice uses. For example, if you want to use 6.20 PRO-B9, then you update to 6.20 OFW. Then install the cfw itself.

All the instructions and how-to's are in the guide you checked out. Read up a bit for exact details.

3. bioterror
    OP

United States
    So 6.2 is the only permanent CFW, in your opinion what is the best course of action, stay were I am, update to 6.2 or use the newer temporary ones.
    If I decide to get the temp route how easy is it to hack it again?
    I also read that save files will be corrupt if I update, is that true?
    Sorry for all the questions, I've never hacked my psp my friend did it for me and I don't want to screw up.

Thanks again

4. ars25

Member ars25 I like tacos and pie

United States
    6.39 and 6.60 are perm as well for 1000 and some 2000 models temp you have to keep fast recovery on your psp after you installed the cfw for the first time which will take 10-15 seconds

as for the save you can use an application to decrypt your saves

5. bioterror
    OP

United States
    Okay so this is what I plan to do,
    1. hellcat's recovery flasher back down to 5.00
    2. update to 6.60
    3. install 6.60 pro, can I use this 6.60 for perm when it states temp in the guide? http://gbatemp.net/t293978-how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp

then decrypt my backed up save files.

Did I miss anything?

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    For perm I recommend 6.20 just 'cause I haven't tried the higher perm versions (they use a different method), and don't have enough time to fiddle around right now.

7. bioterror
    OP

United States
    Thanks guess I'll update to 6.20.

For save decrypting what do you guys use, asking now so I don't have to ask later.