Gaming Average size?

KT_Cobra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...oh my goodness! Get your mind out of the gutter!

I'm talking about the average size of an NDS Rom. What would you say is the average size in megs? I've only downloaded one so far and there's no way to see the file size from the original cartridge.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't really say there's an average size for NDS roms. NDS roms tend to be 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 and 512mb in size. There's no real rule regarding the size of roms but you will find the bigger games tend to be released more recently as the price of flash memory has decreased.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Depends.
Currently the carts range from 8MB to 512MB.
Shovelware are usually 8MB-16MB
Standard games are usally 32MB
RPGs & all those imba looking games is 64-248MB
Very few that is 512MB.

So averagly it would be 64MB each game. Though if you have no intentions of playing RPGs, then i will pretty much say 32MB averagly.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
For NDS, average is 64MB - 128MB.

Shovelware (not all) are normally 8MB.
Longer ones are normally 16MB.
Many early RPGs (those in 2005 - 2007) are normally 32MB - 64MB.
Later ones go to as high as 256MB (Pokemon Black/White for example)

Very few go to 512MB, but there are some.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS ROMs can range anywhere from 8 MB to 512 MB in size, although ROMs of both of those sizes are somewhat rare. Earlier games tend to be around 64 - 128 MB, whereas later games usually end up averaging about 256 MB. However, most ROMs have a sizable amount of junk at the end of the image, because the game isn't large enough to fill the entire cartridge's ROM memory, which leaves a large amount of empty space after the actual data. When somebody captures the ROM image, they get all this empty space, which just gets turned into a bunch of 0's (or whatever). You can use a ROM trimmer to remove the extra data and save space.

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and also post that the games range from 8 to 512 mb, just to up my post count.
toot.gif

Just kidding, on the contrary, here's a little something you should keep in mind, especially when it comes to the 512 mb fat games.
It's true that depending on the size of the chip of the cartridge you always have rom sizes with 2 power n (2 power 1 =2, 2² = 4 etc.)
but the real romsizes when looking on the actual code of the game are rarely the full size of that.
So when you have a game which actual size is actually 9 mb, you are forced to take the 16 mb sized chips so the whole game can be stored, 8 is obviously not enough. The wasted space then will be just filled up with garbage.
Of course this is true with all games, but the bigger the size the more likely they tend to have more wasted space because the actual size of the game is smaller but you just went a tad over the 256 mb mark and don't want to scratch anything out so you grab the 512 mb ones.
smile.gif

On a side info, that's what rom trimming does if I am not mistaken, it cuts the wasted space away that got along with dumping the full rom chip.

This aint gonna change anything to the thread openers original question, but I just felt like adding information.
So even when you hold an impressive 512 mb sized rom in your virtual hands, its quite possible that not all of the mb is playable fun.
tongue.gif

But this is just a natural progression that went on when developers started to dish out games with lots of content, but I doubt there will be normal DS games that will break the 512 mb mark, DSi games would make this more likely and 3DS games definitely are bigger than that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think