1. ady199

OP ady199 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Hi Guys,

I recently updated my Switch firmware using ChoiDujourNX and I've been reading various posts on this forum to say that to properly shut down my switch so the battery doesn't drain is just to keep the power button pressed for 12 seconds.

I have tried this on numerous occasions but the battery still drains.

I know I'm probably doing something wrong but can anyone please offer me advice on how to do a proper shut down. (I'm running SXOS 2.5 beta)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ady199, Dec 29, 2018
  2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Czech Republic
    Force shut down from Horizon. (what you are doing)
    Force shut down from RCM.
    Power off option in hekate or any other bootloader.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Dec 29, 2018
    ady199 likes this.
  3. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

India
    I usually keep it in Sleep Mode. 4% battery drain every 24 hours. Charge it every week.

Best option for shutting down is using Hekate. I do that when I know I won't be touching my Switch for 15 to 20 days (coz of work).

Kafluke and ady199 like this.
  4. ady199

Newcomer

Thanks for your reply but sorry for the newbie question - How do I force shut down from RCM?

5. animex2k9

animex2k9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here is how autoRCM works,

Once you turn off the Switch with AutoRCM enabled, it will turn back on again. You will not notice this since it will stay in black screen if there is no dongle connected to the Switch.

So, what you will need to do is turn it off again using Hekate or SX OS.

There, you will now have a REAL turned off Switch.

ady199 likes this.
  6. ady199

Newcomer

Thanks for your reply - I will start to use the power off function in sxos.

7. ceanth

ceanth Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Does such an option exist for Reinx? I am using Reinx 2.0 for my homebrew needs .

8. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Czech Republic
    Don't think so. Reinx payload does not have any options.

9. ataraxis

ataraxis Member
    Newcomer

Malaysia
    Im using a dongle. What i do is select power off option from Horizon. Once screen turns black, plug in the dongle again. The screen fill flash and switch will turn off.

10. dsfgfhj

dsfgfhj Member
    Newcomer

France
    There's a Power Off option in ReiNX Toolkit.

mikeniccy likes this.
  11. ceanth

ceanth Advanced Member
    Newcomer

So when I select this the device will totally power off. If I then hit the power button will the device go into RCM mode automatically if enabled?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Any shutdown in Horizon or CFW/OFW with AutoRCM enabled will cause the console to reboot into RCM. It doesn't matter what you use whether its the device's built-in Power Off function or a homebrew application, they all will cause the same outcome. The only way to successfully shut down a console with AutoRCM is to shut it down down from RCM. This is why Hekate's Power Off function works; Hekate is loaded in RCM. A manual shutdown in RCM or SX OS' Power Off are also acceptable options. Its also been known that powering off the console while a dongle is inserted properly turns it off.

Everything is documented here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-man...es-not-turn-off-a-switch-with-autorcm.515402/

I probably should have reworded the thread to something more encapsulating like "AutoRCM 101"

13. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

United Kingdom
    You sir, are correct. Glad someone else has said it.

14. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Romania
    @Draxzelex, When you say "Manual Shutdown in RCM", do you mean:
    1. Hold the power button down in Horizon until the power options show up and choose power off (which technically drops you into RCM).
    2. Hold the power button for 10-15 seconds while in RCM?

Because I thought powering off from Horizon gets you into RCM only if you have it plugged into a power source (either connected to a USB port or to the power brick), because it "wakes it up" just enough to display the battery on the screen, hence RCM. But if you power off from Horizon without any power source it's still in RCM? That doesn't make any sense... Are you sure about that?

Last edited by DSpider, Dec 29, 2018
    zaku likes this.
  15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    A manual shutdown in RCM is completely different from a manual shutdown in Horizon. They are 2 different "states" of the Switch. The first option is, as you said, boots you into RCM. The second option will turn it off.

If you power off from Horizon while a power source is plugged in, you actually enter a different state than regular RCM that was nicknamed "Zombie RCM". The reason this name came up is because when people sent the SX OS Payload in this state, it turned off the console. Similar behavior is observed with ReiNX. Hekate (and most likely Fusee) does not follow this behavior. I should also mention that rebooting/restarting the console while a power source is plugged in doesn't cause it to enter "Zombie RCM".

16. SomeGuy77

SomeGuy77 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I had this problem too. I tried to keep AutoRCM on to not burn any fuses, but ended up turning it off as I did not know why it was dying so rapidly. The more you know!

17. berkcan00

berkcan00 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So is it still same for powering off, I've atmosphere 0.12 with autorcm enabled. for proper shutdown should I need to poweroff from siwtch menu, payload hekate, then choose poweroff from that menu or should I do something else?

18. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    berkcan00 likes this.
  19. berkcan00

berkcan00 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    so,
    Shutting down/rebooting a console with AutoRCM enabled from Horizon aka CFW/OFW will cause it to reboot into RCM except if you are using Atmosphere version 0.8.4 or greater which you can check by going to System Settings and looking at your current firmware
    and
    Power off normally while running a version of Atmosphere 0.8.4 or greater which you can check by going to System Settings and looking at your current firmware
    this means if version>=0.8.4 it's properly shutting down from system menu no need to make another operation right?

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Correct.

berkcan00 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - properly, AutoRCM, Switch