Hacking AutoBoot rxTools + Questions

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I think i got the exact same problem as @ShinyMK . O3DS setup to coldboot into rxtools which automatically boots emunand. I downgraded from 10.3 to 9.2 as well prior to doing the tutorial.

The screen glitches then shows the rxtools splash for a split second as normal

But then it reboots - shows the glitch screen again - but it now moves onto and stays on red bottom screen and black on the top (crashed/needs reboot).

I followed the same tutorial to set up a 2ds with same method and it worked no problems.

tutorial link here ---> https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

thoughts and advice anyone?

best regards
what version of rxtools are you using
edit: try the 9/28 build from this link RxTools Nightlies by @WhoAmI?

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Midvoc

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I think i got the exact same problem as @ShinyMK . O3DS setup to coldboot into rxtools which automatically boots emunand. I downgraded from 10.3 to 9.2 as well prior to doing the tutorial.

The screen glitches then shows the rxtools splash for a split second as normal

But then it reboots - shows the glitch screen again - but it now moves onto and stays on red bottom screen and black on the top (crashed/needs reboot).

I followed the same tutorial to set up a 2ds with same method and it worked no problems.

tutorial link here ---> https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

thoughts and advice anyone?

best regards
Configure themehax only to activate when a button is pushed (push this button when you want to use it), or to not activate when a button is pushed (push this when you don't want it to be used like when rxtools is booting to emunand), or alternatively unlink your nands and get into emunand by not letting it cycle like you have been, setting a theme to disable themehax in emunand.

It sounds like you simply have themehax doublebooting by sloppily setting up the autoboot of themehax with linked nands.

Last edited by jaksy,
Reactions: Midvoc and wormdood

Midvoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey @wormdood and thanks for the reply.

You know the 3.0 nightly 12-05 version is down at lavanoid - so i scoured the net and got a version just prior to it from november(11-....) - i bet you any money this is the reason it is failing (because i need the 3.0 nightly).

I can get emunand working but i need to hold L to get into rxtools - then Y to boot emunand - then i hold R and it finally gets me into emunand...

Do i need to wait for lavanoid to come back up or is there a mirror or host for it somewhere?

Best Regards

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Configure themehax only to activate when a button is pushed (push this button when you want to use it), or to not activate when a button is pushed (push this when you don't want it to be used like when rxtools is booting to emunand), or alternatively unlink your nands and get into emunand by not letting it cycle like you have been, setting a theme to disable themehax in emunand.

It sounds like you simply have themehax doublebooting by sloppily setting up the autoboot of themehax with linked nands.

sorry @jaksy but the nands are unlinked.

regards

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @wormdood and thanks for the reply.

You know the 3.0 nightly 12-05 version is down at lavanoid - so i scoured the net and got a version just prior to it from november(11-....) - i bet you any money this is the reason it is failing (because i need the 3.0 nightly).

I can get emunand working but i need to hold L to get into rxtools - then Y to boot emunand - then i hold R and it finally gets me into emunand...

Do i need to wait for lavanoid to come back up or is there a mirror or host for it somewhere?

Best Regards
i made an edit to my above post
edit: if it does not work you may need/want to install the mset rop for rxtools
2nd edit: are you on 9.0 or 9.2?

Last edited by wormdood,

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

sorry @jaksy but the nands are unlinked.

regards
Were the nands linked when you first set up emunand? Because that description sounds exactly like you are double booting themehax because of the autoboot configuration being on both sysnand and emunand.

Even the fact that you mention you get a red freeze after looping the third time. This is classic doubling up of themehax.

edit: holding R is what is stopping themehax from autobooting so you don't get caught in the boot loop.
This IS your problem dude.

Last edited by jaksy,

Midvoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ye they were linked - i remember installing FBI through rxtools (inject) before i unlinked the nands - then i system updated emunand.

I did it the exact same way with the 2ds and it worked fine so it has left me wondering whether it is the rxtools version but you may know more about the linked nands etc....

I hope i can still sort this out lol.

best regards

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ye they were linked - i remember installing FBI through rxtools (inject) before i unlinked the nands - then i system updated emunand.

I did it the exact same way with the 2ds and it worked fine so it has left me wondering whether it is the rxtools version but you may know more about the linked nands etc....

I hope i can still sort this out lol.

best regards
As I said just use the buttons to get into emunand, if you are unlinked then you should be able to change your emunand theme to disable themehax on the emunand end.

edit:
Or change the themehax configuration to something that won't double boot if you manually have to trigger it.

I mean old versions of rxtools can cause issues, but this sounds like themehax is simply installed twice.

If you're still seeing these issues after checking for this doubling up, then I'd worry about rxtools.

Last edited by jaksy,

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I'm having the exact same problems as the OP. After trying everything to make it work I just said "fuck it" and did the whole process all over again.

I just restored my backed up files to my SD card. So now is the time to unlink my NANDs or should I do so after I get RxTools intalled for the first time? (and also probably after I update my emuNAND?).

I'm getting desperate. Been trying to get this to work since yesterday.

Last edited by .Darky,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the exact same problems as the OP.

I just restored my backed up files to my SD card. So now is the time to unlink my NANDs or should I do so after I get RxTools intalled for the first time? (and also probably after I update my emuNAND?).

I'm getting desperate. Been trying to get this to work since yesterday.
unlink before (some users report sysnand being updated as well otherwise) but . . . before and after you update emunand & unlink nands change themes on emunand
sorry im a lil tired had to edit that

Last edited by wormdood,

Midvoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
awesome @jaksy - changed the theme in emunand to another - rebooted and hey presto!! booted straight into emunand. Thanks alot for the help as always.

cheers @wormdood as well

Regards

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ye - unlink nands before you update the emunand with system update

Reactions: wormdood and jaksy

Simplicity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I had the same issue but I worked out a solution. I was smashing my head, wondering what the hell I did wrong. I followed multiple tutorials to a T. The problem is that these tutorials are missing information.

If you are getting a black screen from autoboot, and or unable to launch rxTools from the HBL, this post is for you.

1. Download the starter kit and put it on the SD card.
2. Download rxTools 3.0 or above, I am using a nightly. Make sure you put firmware.bin in the /sys/ folder of rxTools if you are using a version past 3.0.
3. Make sure you have your dbs folder (next to the exdata folder) properly configured. If you just downgraded, and or formatted your System NAND, it is likely it is not properly setup. Create a folder under Nintendo 3DS/nonliterallyrandomcrap/nonliterallyrandomcrap called dbs. It should be in the same directy as a folder called "extdata", create two files inside the dbs directory: import.db and title.db. You can do this by making a txt document and renaming it.
Go into System Settings --> Data Managment --> 3DS --> Software. Click "Reset" when prompted.
4. Change your theme to something, or at least visit the menu where you change your theme. This creates important data for homemenuhax
5. Launch ninjhax 1.0. This is very, very very important. Do not load ninjhax 2.0 or ninjhax 2.5.
6. Open rxTools from within ninjhax 1.0! Let it create necessary files, and you are presto.
7. Load the latest ninjhax and install menuhax to your liking.
8. Now replace your homebrew launcher boot.3dsx with your rxTools 3dsx. Personally, I used the one packaged in RxToolsHomeMenuHax.7z found here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-rxtools-autoboot-on-o3ds-using-homemenuhax.398911/
As I was not sure if the one provided worked with menuhax just renaming it to boot.3dsx

Finally, you will no longer get a damn black screen.

Last edited by Simplicity,

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bro, I wish that was all I needed to do.
I'm not sure what your issue was, but if people run into a similar rx LOOPING issue and have installed themehax to autoboot before creating emunand, it's likely because doing so would copy a second version of themehax to emunand that will autoboot when emunand is launched through rxtools.

They'd simply have to boot into emunand and change their theme on unlinked nands to fix this.

Last edited by jaksy,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bro, I wish that was all I needed to do.
well
1. Download the starter kit and put it on the SD card.

4. Change your theme to something, or at least visit the menu where you change your theme. This creates important data for homemenuhax

5. Launch ninjhax 1.0. This is very, very very important. Do not load ninjhax 2.0 or ninjhax 2.5.

7. Load the latest ninjhax and install menuhax to your liking.
all the above steps are simply to install menuhax
and everything else is standard for rxtools instillation for a cubic ninja user
2. Download rxTools 3.0 or above, I am using a nightly. Make sure you put firmware.bin in the /sys/ folder of rxTools if you are using a version past 3.0.
3. Make sure you have your dbs folder (next to the exdata folder) properly configured. If you just downgraded, and or formatted your System NAND, it is likely it is not properly setup. Create a folder under Nintendo 3DS/nonliterallyrandomcrap/nonliterallyrandomcrap called dbs. It should be in the same directy as a folder called "extdata", create two files inside the dbs directory: import.db and title.db. You can do this by making a txt document and renaming it.
Go into System Settings --> Data Managment --> 3DS --> Software. Click "Reset" when prompted.

6. Open rxTools from within ninjhax 1.0! Let it create necessary files, and you are presto.

this is the only non standard thing . . .
8. Now replace your homebrew launcher boot.3dsx with your rxTools 3dsx. Personally, I used the one packaged in RxToolsHomeMenuHax.7z found here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-rxtools-autoboot-on-o3ds-using-homemenuhax.398911/
As I was not sure if the one provided worked with menuhax just renaming it to boot.3dsx
. . . its odd the rxtools nightlys use code.bin and you are using an old boot.3dsx version for the autoboot so now that you mention it the fact that you are using cubic ninja may play a role but if rxtools booted at all (splash/setup screen) then its likely menuhax thats at fault

Last edited by wormdood,

Simplicity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what your issue was, but if people run into a similar issue and have installed themehax to autoboot before creating emunand, it's likely because doing so would copy a second version of themehax to emunand that will autoboot when emunand is launched through rxtools.
For the record, my emunand was both already set up, and unlinked. rxTools refused to load except once through Ninjhax 2.x to tell me there was a failure. Only after loading it through Ninjhax 1.0 did it successfully create the necessary data, which allowed the auto boot to work.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, my emunand was both already set up, and unlinked. rxTools refused to load except once through Ninjhax 2.x to tell me there was a failure. Only after loading it through Ninjhax 1.0 did it successfully create the necessary data, which allowed the auto boot to work.
Oh that. Yeah most of the builds of the CFW floating around right now don't have hax2.0 support proper.
There are builds of them that do, but they can be hard to find and there's another solution.
You can just use CTRbootmanger to add an offset to the CFW, and boot them through themehax booting CTRbootmanager booting a CFW.

It's all quite simple and clean once it's setup.

Edit: this was common knowledge before the new kernel hack announcements, but seems to have been lost from most tutorials in the flood of all these new posts.

Last edited by jaksy,

Simplicity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well

all the above steps are simply to install menuhax
and everything else is standard for rxtools instillation for a cubic ninja user

this is the only non standard thing . . .
. . . its odd the rxtools nightlys use code.bin and you are using an old boot.3dsx version for the autoboot so now that you mention it the fact that you are using cubic ninja may play a role but if rxtools booted at all (splash/setup screen) then its likely menuhax thats at fault
I did give instructions that were simple and obvious, some strictly for getting themehax working. I didn't feel like giving some potato instruction manual including two steps.

Personally, I use a Gateway on my N3DS, so I was hooking someone else up. I hadn't used rxTools for the O3DS since 2.6 which is a bit different. None of the tutorials I ran into mentioned the code.bin, which I assume is utilized by CtrBootManager. I probably would have gone this route in the first place, not to say I am dissatisfied with how I have it currently set up, which works perfectly.

Reactions: wormdood

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Finally got it to work! Fuck yes! All I had to do was change the damn theme on emuNAND. Now after I update and install FBI I'm good to go. Thanks a lot guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.