Auto kill spam threads?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by BlackWizzard17, Jul 8, 2017.

1. BlackWizzard17
    OP

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Just a question but is there anyway to kill spam threads on the spot? Like 100% of the time there will be a thread with the thread title being "insert website name here". Is there anyway to stop threads from being able to post with just "http://" or "WWW" in the titles name.

Quantumcat likes this.
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That's a good idea, I'm surprised the staff haven't thought of that yet.
    I'm sure they would just change their posts slightly to avoid the spam filter, but it would at least stop them for a while.

3. BlackWizzard17
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    If can be done, I'd assume bots would be smart enough to evolve or some bs. I do think this could help if possible because I couldn't imagine a regular person just having a link for a title.

Last edited by BlackWizzard17, Jul 8, 2017
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And another damn spam thread popped up. Why are these happening so frequently?

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The Staff has a spambot button. Using it nukes the thread(s,) all posts, and bans the user(s.) The user still has to report the thread(s) in order to properly get The Staff's attention.
    A lot of these "bots" may actually be people hired to spam threads. That's actually not an uncommon thing to happen. So they've most likely made a lineup of throwaway accounts to toss at a VPN and spam the site in hopes that they can get at least one sucker.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jul 8, 2017
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I don't trust automation services, look what happens to google when youtube videos get problemmatic for no reason. Remember the Double Dribble "CORNER 3 POINTER" Video that was on family guy? :ninja:

7. Rizzorules

Rizzorules "What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    They should add more requisites to create a new thread for example: Being in this site at least 48 hours, having at least 20 posts or they could even add some type of security to detect repeated words/ websites.
    It would be cool that the staff controlled the creation of new threads but sadly they are really busy as everyone else

8. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    there are literally dozens of spam filters at the moment, during registration, when posting, etc.
    when I look at the logs it really does help, 99.9% of spam attempts are prevented.
    the ones that slip past the system are most likely human, so whatever we throw at them, they will bypass it.

considering that it takes us (the staff) less than 1 second to obliterate spam posts & accounts thanks to an all-powerful "spambot" button, there's no need to add further countermeasures, or we would take the risk of damaging existing forum functionality for regular users.

besides, URLs in thread titles are useless, these dont get converted as links so they arent helpful... the real spam is links within posts; but we certainly cant prevent people from posting those, this would cause trouble for regular users.

9. BlackWizzard17
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Understandable I didn't realize that much spam comes so frequently and gets filtered FTL. Thank god for that all mighty button.