Australian Competition & Consumer Commission will discontinue its review of the Microsoft/Activision acquisition

ACCC.png

As Microsoft's acquisition of the gaming giant, Activision, is wrapping up, the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has released an update on its on-going review regarding their standing on the acquisition.

On October 16th, the ACCC released an update on their official governmental website after an 8 month hiatus from their last update in February, 2023, stating that they will be discontinuing their review for the Microsoft/Activision acquisition given the outcomes and status of other international regulators about the situation at the current time, effectively marking the status of the review that started all the way back in June 20th, 2022 as "Completed".

ACCC's Update said:
After considering the status and outcomes of other international regulators’ reviews and changes to the transaction structure, including related agreements with third parties, the ACCC discontinued its review of the acquisition and does not intend to take any further action.

Adding this alongside the CMA's decisions, only the FTC's final hearing about the acquisition remains, as they still have the case issued as "Pending", with their final update being on October 11th, 2023.

:arrow: Source

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Yep, it's official. Why the hell does MS want them tho? to fix their bad rep for treating their eemployers wrong? I forgot.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I still wonder why this acquisition raised so much concern everywhere about competition.

I mean...

Xbox = Last place
Last place ≠ Monopoly

Remember;
- NetScape Navigator?
- Word Perfect?
etc and others, all of whom Micro$oft condemned to an early grave all in the name of eliminating competition in order to establish a market stranglehold and monopoly to maximize profits.

If Micro$oft is able buy up all 3rd party game devs and studios, they will gladly do so in order to strangle $ony & Nintendont out of business.

That's the Micro$oft method of doing business.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember;
- NetScape Navigator?
- Word Perfect?
etc and others, all of whom Micro$oft condemned to an early grave all in the name of eliminating competition in order to establish a market stranglehold and monopoly to maximize profits.

If Micro$oft is able buy up all 3rd party game devs and studios, they will gladly do so in order to strangle $ony & Nintendont out of business.

That's the Micro$oft method of doing business.
I suppose that's why Internet Explorer has a stranglehold on internet browsing to this day. If only Netscape Navigator had survived, perhaps things would've been different.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I suppose that's why Internet Explorer has a stranglehold on internet browsing to this day. If only Netscape Navigator had survived, perhaps things would've been different.
Imagine still using crappy Internet Explorer today because Micro$oft's monopoly plans succeeded and there was no Firefox or Opera browsers...that's the reason we need anti-monopoly and anti-competition laws to protect us consumers from greedy mega-corporations of the likes of Micro$oft from trying to bleed us dry.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yep, it's official. Why the hell does MS want them tho? to fix their bad rep for treating their eemployers wrong? I forgot.
They aimed high to make up for Sony and Epic buying all the smaller companies over the past few years.

• Sad
Reactions: DragonMals

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the amount of legal action that went down to prevent microsoft from doing something like preventing you from choosing another web browser at all would blow your mind
as it is, they still do their level best to make edge fused to the spine of their operating systems

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
the amount of legal action that went down to prevent microsoft from doing something like preventing you from choosing another web browser at all would blow your mind
as it is, they still do their level best to make edge fused to the spine of their operating systems
Yup...un-installing Edge is hard work but fun...and what's even more fun is when Edge re-installs itself a week later via windows update

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.