Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
There are files (XCI & NSP) that are larger than 4GB so unless you install them via USB or use some tools to divide them into smaller parts you won't be able to just drag and drop them to the SD Card like some people do.
you can always use DBI or AtmoXL Titel Installer to install via USB or Network so you don't need the double of space on you SD card for installing a title.

Reactions: binkinator

nomnaut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m a developer taking some time off from work. Is there anyway I can contribute to the project? Not sure if it needs any help, but I have spare time and experience as a software dev.

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So noob questions, if my switch current firmware is 12.0.2 which atmosphere version should I use? Should I be using Atmosphere 0.19.3 since that was the version made for that firmware? Or can I use the latest version of Atmosphere 1.3.2? Or do I need to update switch firmware to 14.0.0+ to use the latest atmosphere?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So noob questions, if my switch current firmware is 12.0.2 which atmosphere version should I use? Should I be using Atmosphere 0.19.3 since that was the version made for that firmware? Or can I use the latest version of Atmosphere 1.3.2? Or do I need to update switch firmware to 14.0.0+ to use the latest atmosphere?
Atmosphère 1.3.2 support firmwares from 1.0.0 to 14.1.2 so go for the latest, DO NOT FORGET to read the readme.md of atmosphère 1.0.0 https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/1.0.0 because you need to change some files like hekate_ipl.ini and you need to delete folders from you SD Card (SEPT) principally

and when you update Atmosphère your MUST TO UPDATE your sigpatches and any MOD/CHEAT/SYSMODULE you use.

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphère 1.3.2 support firmwares from 1.0.0 to 14.1.2 so go for the latest, DO NOT FORGET to read the readme.md of atmosphère 1.0.0 https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/tag/1.0.0 because you need to change some files like hekate_ipl.ini and you need to delete folders from you SD Card (SEPT) principally

and when you update Atmosphère your MUST TO UPDATE your sigpatches and any MOD/CHEAT/SYSMODULE you use.

So in general my switch can stay the same firmware version forever, and I can just update atmosphere. And just to make sure to update sigpatches, mods, cheats sysmodules I use?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
So in general my switch can stay the same firmware version forever, and I can just update atmosphere. And just to make sure to update sigpatches, mods, cheats sysmodules I use?
Yes. But when atmosphere works on said firmware, you can stay on that version and on that sigpatches. No need to update them until you update your firmware.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
You need update the sigpatches, because they have Atmosphère and firmware components. So, if you update Atmosphère you need the new Atmosphère sigpatches 8D.

Always use latest sigpatches.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: If I followed Renpy's guide to updating Atmos using the PC method (used Tinfoil to browse via USB and transfer files over in Windows desktop) Why after rebooting, it still shows 13.0.0|AMS 1.2.4|E ?

The idea was to update atmos first and then use daybreak to jump to 14.1 FW. I have no system mods/hacks/cheats/etc. Just plain atmosphere. Any idea why it's not updating to show AMS 1.3.2? Everything else is working as expected, just seems that Atmosphere didn't update.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: If I followed Renpy's guide to updating Atmos using the PC method (used Tinfoil to browse via USB and transfer files over in Windows desktop) Why after rebooting, it still shows 13.0.0|AMS 1.2.4|E ?

The idea was to update atmos first and then use daybreak to jump to 14.1 FW. I have no system mods/hacks/cheats/etc. Just plain atmosphere. Any idea why it's not updating to show AMS 1.3.2? Everything else is working as expected, just seems that Atmosphere didn't update.
this guide? https://rentry.org/UpdateCFW#pc-method

Since you don’t have mods hacks or cheats, simply rename your /atmosphere directory to /atmosphere.bk and your /bootloader directory to /bootloader.bk and go back and unzip atmosphere and hekate zip files at the top of your SDCard and then continue with the guide.

e: Be sure you don’t skip fusee.bin step
e2: you might want to consider mounting the SDCard using Hekate UMS rather than Tinfoil.
e3: see @impeeza important note below about hekate_ipl.ini

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: impeeza

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this guide? https://rentry.org/UpdateCFW#pc-method

Since you don’t have mods hacks or cheats, simply rename your /atmosphere directory to /atmosphere.bk and your /bootloader directory to /bootloader.bk and go back and unzip atmosphere and hekate zip files at the top of your SDCard and then continue with the guide.

e: Be sure you don’t skip fusee.bin step
e2: you might want to consider mounting the SDCard using Hekate UMS rather than Tinfoil.
e3: see @impeeza important note below about hekate_ipl.ini

Thanks for the reply bink. I did the fusee.bin step. And I can't launch into Hekate for some reason. Every since the conversion from SXOS to atmos, the only thing I can do is get it to boot into atmosphere. It's a non issue generally speaking so no biggie.

e3: bootloader.bak? This isn't mentioned in the renpy guide. Where should this file come from/be created by? I don't see any reference to this.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply bink. I did the fusee.bin step. And I can't launch into Hekate for some reason. Every since the conversion from SXOS to atmos, the only thing I can do is get it to boot into atmosphere. It's a non issue generally speaking so no biggie.

e3: bootloader.bak? This isn't mentioned in the renpy guide. Where should this file come from/be created by? I don't see any reference to this.
This is just to move the old deployments out of the way for both atmosphere and bootloader.

When you unzip the files at the top of your SDCard you will have new atmosphere and bootloader directories with nothing left over from the original deployment (but you have a .bk for backup if you want to roll back).

In the odd case you don’t have a new /atmosphere and /bootloader then we know there’s an issue with the transport method.

Make sense?

Last edited by binkinator,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark

The Bootloader folder is from Hekate. If you don't use Hekate you don't have it and you can skip that part.

Reactions: binkinator

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just done what I put aside for a long time. Backed up my saves first, then all I did was delete the sx folder and a few files, copied over atmosphere and updated the apps that needed updating like fpt, save manager... copied over the all in one updater. Then I updated the firmware from 11 to the latest....it all seems to just work without a hitch. Now I need to figure out the best and easiest way to install games, updates and dlc. And get the freeshop thing working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker