Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, now I get what you're saying. To boot payloads onto the Switch, it physically needs to be undocked because docking it involves using its USB port. Once Atmosphere comes out, we'll be able to connect with the Switch in multiple ways. So, yeah at the moment, the hack is pretty much handheld alone.

Indeed, but once the payload has been loaded then using your argument implies that the Switch could then be docked, however I guess that the hacked Switch won't currently output anything to to the dock as there's no O/S loaded (no doubt some handshaking is required with the dock).

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think when you dock the Switch, it simply turns the screen off and then outputs everything to the TV by itself. In which case I'd imagine if you load any payload, you can then dock it if you want.
The unofficial retroarch build for example does the same thing where you can dock it and output to the TV just like that, without the dev having to implement anything.

I think the restriction here would be that the resolution being output to the TV will probably be 720p like the touch screen, since nothing's been implemented to make it detect the dock and then change resolution.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have some pictures or a build log? That sounds awesome!
I'm probably going to make a separate thread later once I record a video of it in action.
7f55f1f2ebc52f28514b253ad861dba6.jpg

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, but once the payload has been loaded then using your argument implies that the Switch could then be docked, however I guess that the hacked Switch won't currently output anything to to the dock as there's no O/S loaded (no doubt some handshaking is required with the dock).

I think when you dock the Switch, it simply turns the screen off and then outputs everything to the TV by itself. In which case I'd imagine if you load any payload, you can then dock it if you want.
The unofficial retroarch build for example does the same thing where you can dock it and output to the TV just like that, without the dev having to implement anything.

I think the restriction here would be that the resolution being output to the TV will probably be 720p like the touch screen, since nothing's been implemented to make it detect the dock and then change resolution.
I agree with Rune here. The Switch functions identically in handheld mode versus docked mode except for the graphics that are outputted. So although functionally it works only in handheld mode, there's nothing stopping us from docking our Switch once we deliver whatever payload we want through the USB port.

Reactions: WadsRUs

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Rune here. The Switch functions identically in handheld mode versus docked mode except for the graphics that are outputted. So although functionally it works only in handheld mode, there's nothing stopping us from docking our Switch once we deliver whatever payload we want through the USB port.
I only use mine in handheld mode the only time i dock mine is if i'm showing it off to people or playing a game with the family.

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

That makes sense, thanks.

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wrong. For the forseeable future, part of the RCM hack will have to be executed every time the console is restarted or booted (it survives standby). CFW will not change that on its own.

People are working to remove the "you also have to be connected via USB to a powered device" restriction, but the RCM hack (controller rail short pin 10 method) is here to stay for at least the mid term to be used on every boot.

Solutions that would launch RCM "from software" eventually could/will be available for (1.0.0), 3.0.0 and 4.1.0 - but they might take longer to reach RCM than the controller rail dongle method. (Boot into the normal OFW, run an exploit there, that launches RCM, that launches the CFW, ...)

A real software based coldboot method (no dongle required, quickly into CFW after boot) is most likely to surface on 1.0.0 (only), no ETA.

edit: Also - there is the option to permanently short pin 10 (which might make the controller only ever work as a BT controller - but with the ability to charge it from the switch (there have been reports), internally - which would prevent you from having to use the dongle thingy - but besides the already named downside, there are also substantiated worries, that N might be able to detect a "always shortened pin 10" and be able to ban those people. (A chip with more smarts to short, but then "unshort" after a few seconds might be a solution - but thats neither "softmod" nor "hardware assisted", thats a hardmod.. ;) ) So a bunch of potential issues are still a little up in the air - which is why the "so I can haz update now?!" question is best not answered right now.

About two months from now (give them time for delays that might pop up :) ) we should know more.
Learn to read properly instead of skim reading please. I know it's needed every time it's COLD BOOTED. I said you'll need it initially (on cold boot) and then you can use the switch docked / undocked as you normally can. What's wrong in that? Am I missing something? If you turn if off of course you need to re run it but given I can't remember the last time I cold booted it that shouldn't be much of an issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually it does make you think how many times you'd have to reinject the CFW. I guess it's down to how you use your switch but personally mine is docked most of the time in sleep mode and then used through the TV (if I'm lucky) or just taken out of the dock and used then put back in when not in use asleep. Only really gets restarted / power cycled on a software update!

Given that scenario a cold boot really isn't much of a problem

Addconsult

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Anyone tried to compile atmosphere from the commits in github? According to what SciresM he wants more people to help out. Anyone tried to compile it and load it through the FG exploit as payload?

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know that this was probably answered many times but I couldn't find a good answer:
Will atmosphere require you to use the short-circuit method everytime you want to boot on CFW (On 4.1.0)?

EDIT: The answer is right above my post lol

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will atmosphere require you to use the short-circuit method everytime you want to boot on CFW (On 4.1.0)?

If you want to switch between OFW and CFW then yes. If you're happy always running CFW then you can make it boot into RCM every time you coldboot the switch.

WillFeng

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm aftering a micro sd for atmosphere.. just wondering what size would you suggest?
Would atmosphere be similar to GW card, that will only allow installing one game at a time? or similar to B9S, which allow you to install more than one game?
Really dont wanna purchase a 200gb sandisk card and realize that more than 100gb of it is going to be wasted..

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aftering a micro sd for atmosphere.. just wondering what size would you suggest?
Would atmosphere be similar to GW card, that will only allow installing one game at a time? or similar to B9S, which allow you to install more than one game?
Really dont wanna purchase a 200gb sandisk card and realize that more than 100gb of it is going to be wasted..
You don't understand how either GW or cfw work

You'll need at least 64gb card to hold the 32gb emuNAND and extra for game installs.
Its doesn't hold games like a flashcard, that's not how cfw works.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Atmosphere is not like Gateway 3ds it is more like Rxtools or Luma (CFW). It will not let you pirate games at the beginning but eventually you will be able to install multiple games. I recommend you buying a 128 gb sd card

Last edited by Rizzorules,

WillFeng

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You don't understand how either GW or cfw work

You'll need at least 64gb card to hold the 32gb emuNAND and extra for game installs.
Its doesn't hold games like a flashcard, that's not how cfw works.

Thanks TheCyberQuake..
I'm kind of understand what your mean then, by saying CFW, it should work like Luma?

Atmosphere is not like Gateway 3ds it is more like Rxtools or Luma (CFW). It will not let you pirate games at the beginning but eventually you will be able to install multiple games. I recommend you buying a 128 gb sd card

Thanks Rizzorules,
Got it, I reckon I should get a larger card then.

Reactions: Rizzorules

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's pretty damn cool. is that switch default open or closed?
it's a normal open reed switch, that way it won't short the pins until I hold a magnet to the joycon.
Mostly because I want something permanent, but won't constantly short the pin in case Nintendo finds some way to reliably detect it.
Plus I needed a fun project to do on my day off.
Currently tested to be fully working.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ