Hence why the ps3 fail and private key findings was so epic :D
    EDIT: Too slow to post :(

Last edited by deinonychus71, Apr 27, 2018
    P4RI4H likes this.
  2. P4RI4H

P4RI4H Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You sir are technically correct. "The best kind of correct." But again, "yet." Where computing stands right now we couldn't hash them. Doesn't mean things won't change where we don't need to or some other unforeseeable factor.

Edit: Not for nothing, there exists nothing on a computer that it 100% "True" randomization. That's why PGP adds human input for added entropy.

Last edited by P4RI4H, Apr 27, 2018
  3. sabykos

sabykos GBAtemp Regular

Gambia, The
    You're wrong.

4. Red1Reaper

Red1Reaper Asperger Dude

Spain
    Instructions unclear, Ninja got stuck in window. by the way, if the key is asymetric... well, i think my unused pi 3 has adquired a new job.

sarkwalvein and P4RI4H like this.
  5. dark_lord_dodongobongo

Newcomer

Bhutan
    Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain exactly what Atmosphere is? Does it run on top of the official OS? Or is it one guy re-implementing the entire Switch OS stack in half a year? If the latter, how is that even possible?

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    It's a mix of the former and latter, and it comes with a lot of research and trial and error

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Because he's a god living in a human body.

8. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

It's probably like say Luma on 3DS. It probably looks exactly the same on the surface, but will come with additional apps or features like a cia installer, file browser, etc, that can then open it up to potentially more features down the line.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde Let us start the game
    Banned

France
    We will have a permanent exploit
    When usb drivers will be finished
    Because now all we can do is read and we can’t write

10. WaterBotttle

WaterBotttle GBAtemp Regular

Mind explaining why ?
    Is it due to the fact that the eMMC is using asymmetric encryption?

11. igivenup

igivenup Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The reason 4.1 and below are still useful is because of the possibility to launch Fusee Gelee/CFW without it being tethered. You can find the source on Kate Tempkins FAQ. This is why I still haven't updated my switch either past 4.1.

P4wn4g3 and Red1Reaper like this.
  12. SciresM

SciresM Developer
    Developer

United States
    Atmosphère is a customized firmware for the Switch. It'll consist of a fully custom bootloader/boot stack, a custom trustzone firmware, a custom hypervisor + kernel patches, and customized versions of the OS's system modules. The vision is "Luma but for the Switch and making the right design decisions from the get-go", basically.

The re-implementation stuff is to facilitate easy extension of system functionality -- example: ROM hacks might want to replace title code content. Normally this might be complicated (replacing installed title file, signature checks...) -- why do that when you can make the loader just check for executables on the SD and load them instead of the normal content? Reimplementations are better than patching for extensibility and support for multiple versions -- and they also serve as a good reference for those who want to understand the system, so that's win/win/win.

P4wn4g3, Plunt, uyjulian and 24 others like this.
  13. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No, it's because the switch will normally only run signed software. Various exploits allow you to run unsigned software, but if you cold boot then that ability is lost and the switch reverts to rejecting unsigned software. I believe there are unreleased exploits which auto launch on coldboot, if/when they are released is anyones guess.

Last edited by smf, Apr 28, 2018
  14. leerpsp

leerpsp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    even if we do not have the private key I think its possible to have something installed along side the bootloader that takes over on boot and boot what ever we would like off the sd card and be gold. If we can do that tethered there has to be a way doing it untethered with out the private key's. Remember guys this is hacking we are talking about so almost anything is possible.

15. brollikk

brollikk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ah, just to clarify I wasn't getting upset over the tethered thing - Just wanted to learn about the state of the exploit. Tethered is fine for me - i'm willing to ride the whole experience start to end with the switch. I've been pretty blessed - acquiring all my other consoles/portables for so cheap - and hacking them all to a permanent state so far. I'm confident it will happen with the switch - seems like there's something about nintendo systems that really get the hacking groups to puthrough

16. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
  17. leerpsp

United States
  18. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Australia
  19. leerpsp

United States
    read the comments on twitter

20. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Australia
    The comments are mainly asking what it is, or saying something but with a question mark. Is it for backing up your NAND?

TheCyberQuake likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - development, Atmosphere, Firmware