Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Squad PC game and thats when the bottleneck starts, nothing can be safe in it since even the still highly powerful 7700K some ppl were still reporting minor stuttering :).

The game is alpha and not optimised, but it also has the most realistic gameplay I ever seen and the best local VOIP too.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 years was like in 2009... I still have a I7 2600K at 4.9ghz (bought in 2011) and just upgraded the GPU from GTX570 to RX480 flashed to 580...

I actually upgraded from a 2K series to my 6700K a few years ago haha. Mine was definitley on it's last legs though and I saw a notable boost.

I was always told mine was a bad bottle neck although iv not ever had it bottle neck my 1070 at all. Hell i may dual boot ubuntu so i don't have to use a slow ass laptop.

If you're hitting a bottleneck then it may be on your motherboards BUS (think of it as the highway from your CPU to your RAM, more lanes means more traffic can flow), but I couldn't see an i5 hitting any bottlenecks unless you're using a traditional HDD or a really really cheaply made (off brand) mobo or memory.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What you guys recommend for someone who's on 4.1.0?
Isn't Atmosphere supposed to work on all firmwares? If that's so, why should I not update?
There are reasons that might justify not updating, I myself don't find them convincing enough.

Right now, it seems you will need to teether your exploit each time you cold boot.
Due too reasons, if it ever happens, it would be more probable that you don't need to do that on lower firmwares, in case some appropriate software exploit is found on them.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
For 1.0.0 and 3.0.0 such software entry points are confirmed (booting RCM without shortening controller pin 10). For 4.1.0 one is being worked on.

That said, it might be quicker to always use a jig (hardware thingy you put into the controller rail before you boot). We don't know yet.

There might be negatives for shorting controller pin 10 permanently (the thing the jig does temporarily), those have to be explored as well, some might depend on N as well (could ban console from online for having it permanently shorted).

Currently you also need to use a powered USB device connected to the USB port to execute the exploit (that works on "every" firmware) after every boot, this hopefully will go away in the near future as well.

All of what you just read are potential usability problems, that might have people resort to getting some form of "modchip" in the future - or not. Depending on how well they can get solved, and how important it is for people to quickly boot into CFW.

CFW on its own, just sits on your SD card, and either does nothing, or gets booted by the approaches just listed. "If I haz CFW, I don't have to think about anything" does not hold true.

Also waiting for how Nintendo will react to CFW is a good idea as well - because depending on that, some people might wan't to gravitate to one solution and not the other.

1.0.0 also has a high chance of being the only FW version where "turn it on, and everything just works" might become reality. Without any form of hardmod.

3.0.0 still is the only FW version that can run homebrew (with little issues) right now (don't ask how 1.0.0 and 2.1.0 can as well - look for it in this forum).

4.1.0 is still the most "current" firmware with a chance of a non hardware assisted method. In the mid term future.

This my dear "what should I do" champion, is complexity.

So do us all a favor and wait for at least two months, until Atmosphere actually gets released, instead of asking "what should I do?" questions now.

Less and less people are willing to give you an excursion in "what the current situation is", because there is about 2-5 in total who might be willing to do so in here - and they have been abused by people like you "what should I do? - is the only reason why I register in forums" too freaking much already.

Simple answers not available yet. Wait for tutorials that talk to you in a language you unterstand ("Five easy steps to - you wouldnt believe...").

"And if I update anyway?" You will always be able to use some form of hardmod (modchip for more ease of use), if you are on the first hardware revision (20 million Switches, up to about now (new revision is being produced)). How this factors into ease of use - we dont know yet.

Maybe we laugh about you, because you updated, and now you have to pay for a modchip install. Maybe thats the most "economical way" for everyone. It all now depends on implementation. Thats currently ongoing.

"But can you tell me what I should do, because I wan't.."

Zipp it. We already did this, a dozen of times in the last five days. You are just not reading.

You are highjacking threads, because you want people who want this forum to be about different conversations as well, to do your bidding.

Last edited by notimp,

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what i read on the discord.. It is possible to downgrade.. So why not downgrade to 1.0.0 then we dont need to use a pc anymore and combined with the corrupting part stuff we wont need the jig mod either.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what i read on the discord.. It is possible to downgrade.. So why not downgrade to 1.0.0 then we dont need to use a pc anymore and combined with the corrupting part stuff we wont need the jig mod either.
As far as I know it's not possible to downgrade without CFW, and once you have CFW installed downgrading is kind of pointless, and maybe even still impossible on sysNAND

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know it's not possible to downgrade without CFW, and once you have CFW installed downgrading is kind of pointless, and maybe even still impossible on sysNAND
Kate mentioned that it is possible to downgrade since the bootrom runs before the fuse check so its possible on SysNAND.
(I'm going to assume this meant "on the hacking side". If not I'm not sure what hacking site you're referring to.)

Updating to latest just closes the possibility of using software exploits launched from Horizon, which can make setup more difficult. I know you'd like to know how much, but I unfortunately don't have a good way of qualifying that. As I've mentioned, if you're suffering from not being able to use your 3.0.1+ Switch, you probably do want to upgrade and just risk things being more inconvenient in the future. Worst comes to worst, if you decide you can't tolerate the inconvenience, you upgrade and then wind up having to figure out a modchip.

The downgrade protection fuses literally mean nothing to a system with f-g, which can entirely skip the downgrade check. Incidentally, SciresM actually accidentally bricked one of his systems in a way such that it was always failing the downgrade checks, and he's been able to use f-g to get that system up and running again.
However, I still agree it is pointless because the only reason to downgrade would be to make it easier to install CFW which can't be done without installing CFW.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldnt call it pointless if it would allow for untethered cfw. One could just use the jig mod and a pc to downgrade to 1.0.0 then use just software to boot in latest emunand.

Usefull for those who wont be seeing a untethered any time soon. (4.0-5.0)

Last edited by ombus,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldnt call it pointless if it would allow for untethered cfw. One could just use the jig mod and a pc to downgrade to 1.0.0 then use just software to boot in latest emunand.

Usefull for those who wont be seeing a untethered any time soon. (4.0-5.0)
You need the tethered exploit to be able to run the downgraded fw once it is downgraded, because it's required to bypass the efuse checks at each launch.
And the software variant is still tethered

Reactions: Quantumcat

WaterBotttle

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldnt call it pointless if would allow for unthetered cfw. One could just ise the jig mod and a pc to downgrade to 1.0.0 then use just software to boot in latest emunand.
As I understand it you can "downgrade" but it's quite a pain in the ass.

So Nintendo uses e-fuses (Electronic fuses) to keep track of which version of software a switch should be running. Using the bootrom exploit it's theoretically possible to lie to the bootloader about the value of the e-fuses (Overwriting the cached valued) So for example firmware 1.0.0 requires 1 e-fuse to be blown, using the bootrom exploit you could make it seem like 1 has blown and launch firmware version 1.0.0. However this requires the bootrom exploit and if you already can launch the exploit then you don't need 1.0.0.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need the tethered exploit to be able to run the downgraded fw once it is downgraded, because it's required to bypass the efuse checks at each launch.
I read that 1.0.0 has a software way to use fusee glee without a pc. We just corrupt that one part that someone said and it will boot in the recovery each time without the jig mod. After that just use the software way in 1.0.0 to use glee then it boots cfw. Dunno why you said software is tethered.

Edit. I could be wrong here. Just saying. :)

Last edited by ombus,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hm, ok. Wouldn't that mean you'd have to run Fusee every time you want to even use your console, though?
Nin...ja'd? Anyways, I think ombus was referring to the fact that so far, the coldboot is lost when the Switch is powered off so we need to redo the whole process of booting into RCM and delivering the payload in order to run Fusee Gelee. But I believe once we get CFW, we won't have to do that anymore. We'll have the option of booting into CFW or OFW.

EDIT: After rereading Kate's posts, I found a better reason for not downgrading:
You can theoretically run lesser firmware using Atmosphère, but I'm not sure why you would. Atmosphère builds in a bypass to the security model, so I'm not sure what you'd gain by 'downgrading'.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it possible though on SysNAND with the fuse being blown on newer firmware?

Edit: Never mind, there seems to be answer already

Last edited by tivu100,

WaterBotttle

Trophies
XP
Country
Just had an interesting idea. It's possible to use the bootrom exploit to lie to the boot-loader about the number of e-fuses blown, so therefore it should be possible to use a higher firmware version 5.0+ with spoofed e-fuses and then "downgrade" to the original firmware version after Atmosphere has been released (Because the e-fuses haven't changed)

The only downside would be requiring the bootrom exploit at every boot. (It might even be a good idea to purposefully break the signature of the bootloader (by patching out the anti-downgrade checks) so it doesn't normally run and update the e-fuses (In case you forget to boot in RCM mode)

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just had an interesting idea. It's possible to use the bootrom exploit to lie to the boot-loader about the number of e-fuses blown, so therefore it should be possible to use a higher firmware version 5.0+ with spoofed e-fuses and then "downgrade" to the original firmware version after Atmosphere has been released (Because the e-fuses haven't changed)

The only downside would be requiring the bootrom exploit at every boot. (It might even be a good idea to purposefully break the signature of the bootloader (by patching out the anti-downgrade checks) so it doesn't normally run and update the e-fuses (In case you forget to boot in RCM mode)
why not make the cfw a higher fw it's self and blow one extra fuse and any new game comes out make a patch for the cfw that will allow the new game to work. That way you would not need to worry about downgrading and having to use the jig every time you boot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

why not make the cfw a higher fw it's self and blow one extra fuse and any new game comes out make a patch for the cfw that will allow the new game to work. That way you would not need to worry about downgrading and having to use the jig every time you boot.
But the only problem i see with that is online play because Nintendo would see how many fuse's are blown and ban people for that.

WaterBotttle

Trophies
XP
Country

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But the only problem i see with that is online play because Nintendo would see how many fuse's are blown and ban people for that.

At the moment there isn't a usable public CFW for the switch. From what I understand it should be a lot easier to just change one cached e-fuse value and then boot from the eMMC than create a CFW, so think of this idea as a stop gap solution to play higher FW games while the CFW is finished.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*