1. scoobydude51

scoobydude51 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    True. I’ve seen with the 3DS modding scene that hardmods are more effective than softmods, it was quite different when I was modding my Wii back in 2009.

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Yeah because loading Pegaswitch to load into Atmosphere involves a lot more steps than simply booting straight into CFW. So why not just release said software solution for the few who can take advantage of it when everybody can already load Fusee Gelee? To me, I see no logical reason as to withhold that kind of information based on everything we know so far. It can't be used on firmwares past 4.1 and is referred to as the less preferable option compared to bentpinhax.

Quantumcat likes this.
  3. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Whilst you lot are talking about this I do remember in one of the FAQs that ktemkin did.. I'm sure she said you wouldn't have to do the hardware thing on every boot. Let me see if I can find it hang on

4. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

But Atmosphere isnt made yet. What are you even trying to load with this software solution you want her to reveal?

Maximilious likes this.
  5. Seelbreaker

Seelbreaker GBAtemp Regular

Gambia, The
    Seriously ;-)

Let @SciresM do his Job - everybody knows that this guy is giving us a CFW CLOSE after the release of the release of those entrypoints - and since June 15th was the original deadline for fusee gelee, just wait :)

And due to the fact that it is completely opensource, everybody who can code these things can help and the release of the entrypoints also gives homebrew people a wonderfull way of testing their homebrew and stuff.

Hell we pretty much even have android, linux and likely dolphin happening on the switch (since we don't have the 1st of April ;-) ).

This Year will be an interesting Year for the Switch.

For myself as a User i really want to thank everybody who made this happening - atleast i can Play Zelda BotW and SMO which are just waiting to be played (yes - i have bought these games) when the CFW comes around.

Will it be like MochaCFW for the Wii U?

6. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, a little patience is going to be necessary in this. I'd rather have something that DOESN'T blow up my Switch than have something right this second that does.

This is what you're looking for: http://www.ktemkin.com/faq-fusee-gelee/

And:
    It sounds like a minor hardware thing might be the most ideal (perhaps referring to the bent pin?)

Last edited by Nazosan, Apr 24, 2018
  7. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    but wouldn't you need a "fork" for inside the plastic thing, too?

8. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Legend thank you. Although I'm sure she made additional comments but my point alludes to this quote:

Although saying that it doesn't specifically imply that it won't be required to be tethered after a cold boot.. I guess we're all just going to speculate more now. We shall see very soon though for sure.

Exciting times.

9. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, the real question at hand you're bringing up is whether it must be tethered during boot every time. She basically said no in kind of a roundabout way:
    What this implies to me is that we may ultimately have Atmosphere or whatever booting in a manner much like BS9 thus requiring the tether only for initial exploitation. At least this is my take on putting it all together as best as I can.

Or maybe we'll just be looking at something like the way the old 3DS BrowserHax could be booted via a simple server run even from a phone. I really hope it's more like the BS9 exploitation was.

My plan is to wait. She said they were working together to release a nice comprehensive thing for us all with good instructions. This sounds to me like a much better solution than jumping the gun.

Last edited by Nazosan, Apr 24, 2018
  10. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

United States
    Yes

11. leerpsp

leerpsp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No your good.

wicksand420 likes this.
  12. scoobydude51

scoobydude51 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Even if I didn’t update, my console would have still been above v4 since I have the Super Mario Odyssey bundle (red joycons) and it wasn’t even running v3 at the tim of purchase.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Kinda figured.

13. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    The programs (ports, emulators, ..) will be compatible with CFW solutions as well - so cpasjuste's work will live on long after HBL might have been sidelined. :)

Thats actually mainly the point of the hypetrain around those releases right now - more people can get involved in coding for the platform. Those apps compiled with libnx or "the other one" - act like native Switch apps (think "games"). So they will always (knock on wood) be compatible.

They are just not signed with Nintendos keys, so you have to "hack" the switch before you can use them.

Last edited by notimp, Apr 24, 2018
  14. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

United States
    Still, its been AGES that the scene works like that.

Lower firmware will always get things faster, this case might be somehow different, but not that much.
    also, Kate stated at least 10 times:
    https://twitter.com/ktemkin/status/979629468988817410?lang=en
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/fusee-gelee-faq-by-kate-temkin.500599/

short summary for pre-Mariko units:
    1.0.0: has a nice non-coldboot solution, and is the most likely to get a Holy Grail CFW-launching exploit in the future
    <3.0.1: has enough power to avoid a hardmod immediately, even if you'll probably want to just do the hardmod 'cuz the hardmod's so easy and
    <=4.1.0: will eventually see a hardmod-less solution, but will need that 'minor hardmod' at launch
    >4.1.0: that 'minor hardmod' is required; though we may find a solution to avoid this in the future

15. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    I've tried to theorieze around the "I'm on x, should I update to y" question a bit, and think I've come up with a good analogy for people trying to get it answered by others.

I have 72% want to play "new game" online, and 5% chance of getting easier "something, I don't bother to define, but apparently I like it", should I update from x to y?

Is an entirely impossible question to answer educatedly.

Especially in an environemen, where the next person wants to know -

Yes, and I have 64% want to play "new game" online, and 20% chance of getting easier "something, I don't bother to define, but apparently I like it", should I update from x2 to y2?

So by definition, everyone asking it isnt the brightest bunch in the bowl, and everyone engaging in answering it, is playing "what I feel, is right, I feel" kind of logic games.

The point is, that you cant ask strangers, on tips regarding bets on future developments, you are making, depending on different firmware versions and the likelyhood they will be hacked in the way that might make it more easy than the general method, or the modchip you might eventually get - whose featuresets all are not even announced yet.

The entire attempt is outright silly. The only people asking this question, are the ones with absolutely no idea whats going on, and no intention of wanting to know. Its the "I ask for shortcuts to thinking" crowd that asks that question.

And that even the firmware version they are coming from, and the ones they would want to go to, are entirely "random" in the overall picture just is icing on the cake. Three months from now, when Nintendo pushed some updates - they will be entirely diferent - regardless of any development in the field.

Asking this question now also is telling in as far as - nothing has changed from the end user perspective in the last couple of days - yet people want their "absolution" or not having to think - and ask what it means in their case.

Its incredibly revealing - in a sense... :/

If any question should be banned in here (and ultimately it shouldnt), then its this one. Its just laziness, mixed with a limited understanding of whats important, mixed with an uneasiness regarding delayed gratification, mixed with people not knowing what they want - mixed with them not being able to really voice it (piracy presumably..), mixed with them asking others for "betting tips" - regarding things that only have a likelyhood of happening, and requires knowing "how bad they want to play online" right now, ...

Its a loaded question with five variables, of which tree realy are unknowable to the person the answer is requested from.

But yet it remains maybe the most popular question in here - because no abstraction is required in asking it. I am on x - should I update? Always? One time? In the future? To do what? Contrasted with you not wanting to loose what? With what probability, because you are betting against future developments... Again, the list of implied variables is endless here.

And ultimately they only want to hear a yes or no - from about five people and then "decide" by feel. Which someone like me could "direct" in any direction btw. Currently I suggest to them to act conservatively in their update "needs", but I could just as well indicate to them to do the opposite.

The point is - that some decisions are yours to make. And we can't tell you how it will feel if you loose something, that doesnt currently exist. (The betting on future developments part.)

Last edited by notimp, Apr 25, 2018
  16. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    tl:dr just do what suits your situation. They're all exploitable in the end and it will only improve over time. Think 3ds but with an accelerated timeline and a guaranteed entry point (early on!)

crazy_p likes this.
  17. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Anyone bitching here was obv not here during the 3DS early days. Compared to the 3DS, we're getting spoon fed on the Switch.

Maximilious, leerpsp and andijames like this.
  18. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The fuse gelee softmod just boots into recovery mode, it's still tethered. Other people have other softmod exploits that could be used for loading CFW without tethering, which they haven't released yet and will probably sit on for a while.

It sounds like you should give up on hacking your switch then.

leerpsp likes this.
  19. scoobydude51

scoobydude51 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If I need to go for a hardmod, I will, yet I don’t want it to be permanent (modchip soldered to the board) and cannot be used on Nintendo’s upcoming online service unless I’ll get banned.

20. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Given the bootrom was dumped there's quite a few people who know about the methods now. Or are investigating them at the very least

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - development, Atmosphere, Firmware