Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere won't make emuNAND a requirement. 0.7 release won't even include emuNAND, so it works without itIf you keep homebrew/piracy in emuNAND and snub out networking, only way to detect it is for Nintendo to do some low-level analysis of the SD. It is possible but I wouldn't say likely.
Thats why I always said use a single m-SD for emunand and take it off while using sysnand clean for online with all original games (for who have updated), though yes if they already run all kinds of hacks, the sysnand could already have a flag ready to send to nintendo next time its connected online.

Reactions: c80

veddermandan

Trophies
Website
youtu.be
XP
Country
Australia

Horizon, the OS produced by Nintendo for the Switch, is a black box. It does not have documentation without a non-disclosure agreement, and threats of anal penetration by high power lawyers, via the prison system.

Atmosphere is a complete reverse-engineer and replacement of this OS. This includes such sundry things as the TrustZone (how the OS handles keys, internally), and the like. It also includes the metrics collection and sending systems, the filesystem driver stack, and pals. This is a COMPLETE RE-WRITE, not a patch-job, like TX-OS and ReiNS do.

If all you care about is "Running muh Backups!!", Atmosphere is not what you are interested in, and wont be for some time. If you write software for the switch, Atmosphere is very interesting indeed, as the reimplemented features in the new OS can be used as surrogates to produce a free SDK for the platform.

The purpose of Atmosphere is *NOT* to run backups. Never has been, and never will be. The purpose of Atmosphere is to unlock the switch from Nintendo's cold clammy fingers, and put it under user control. It is not ready for that yet, and wont be for some time. When that time comes, it will make the perfect base for a complete and proper CFW that opens the switch wide open. Until that time, if all you care about is playing backups, stick with ReiNS or SX-OS.

Cool im glad I didn't miss anything.
Nothing to see here people.
Maybe in 12 months there maybe useful features fingers crossed

rynsonick

Trophies
XP
Country
Cool im glad I didn't miss anything.
Nothing to see here people.
Maybe in 12 months there maybe useful features fingers crossed
It’s not gonna be that long i think. Someone already using parts of atmos for backup loading. If it’s not from sciresm himself, i think someone would deliver

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just ignore the obvious trolls..

If you read the release notes this massively extends the basic horizon os and gives homebrew devs hooks to access cool stuff that Nintendo usually reserve (GPU acceleration, CPU state, memory management etc) and really good reporting tools too so they can analyse their work. Think of this as an OS that will massively open up the homebrew community.

Oh it also allows game mods, layered FS (which has already been used everywhere since being implemented here ) abd eventually emunand for those who wish to use it.

It's a real piece of work. Looking forward to trying it out and, most of all, what it enables other homebrew devs to come up with on top of this :)

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The time until Atmosphere launches... It is exactly as long as it feels like it takes for the pi to be done

Reinx is short term happiness, which is fine IMO, atmosphere is total understanding of how switch works, and a full featured CFW which is also good. I can see atmosphere as the base for other projects.

Xecuter sx is a really good piracy tool that unlocks your switch easily. Kind of tool for dummies. 3 option are good for users, regarding to community i would say that atmosphere is first, followed by reinand and lastly xecuter.

Reactions: rogerramjet

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm excited for when Atmosphere releases and more so when we get emunand support implemented through Trophosphere and to see how the community will extend it as a base so I can maybe then find a use for my 1.0 console lying dormant.
Until then I'm perfectly fine doing my shizzle with my 5.1.0 and SX OS.
OT: BTW, any Super Meat Boy fans out there should check out Flat Heroes.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reinx is short term happiness, which is fine IMO, atmosphere is total understanding of how switch works, and a full featured CFW which is also good. I can see atmosphere as the base for other projects.

Xecuter sx is a really good piracy tool that unlocks your switch easily. Kind of tool for dummies. 3 option are good for users, regarding to community i would say that atmosphere is first, followed by reinand and lastly xecuter.
ReiNX is at a very early stage. Atmosphere has been in development for nearly a year by a whole team, ReiNX is mostly the work of one person and about a month of work. Give it time, my man.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ReiNX is at a very early stage. Atmosphere has been in development for nearly a year by a whole team, ReiNX is mostly the work of one person and about a month of work. Give it time, my man.
Earlier work on hekate and atmosphere must have really helped in making the development easier.

benjo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hmm so if Atmosphere unlocks everything, when its finished, can we have our system online without fear of getting a ban? (no illegal sucking on nintendo servers, no online cheating oc)

Last edited by benjo,

mowsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 option are good for users, regarding to community i would say that atmosphere is first, followed by reinand and lastly xecuter.

this is opinion, not fact. rei is the least used by far, xecuter is the most used, with atmosphere in the middle. a simple look at the pull requests on github and sxos preoder numbers should show that clearly.

Last edited by mowsie,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm so if Atmosphere unlocks everything, when its finished, can we have our system online without fear of getting a ban? (no illegal sucking on nintendo servers, no online cheating oc)

Considering other methods already have everything "unlocked" and bans are happening due to the methods, no. Bans are gonna happen with the Switch for quite some time.

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering other methods already have everything "unlocked" and bans are happening due to the methods, no. Bans are gonna happen with the Switch for quite some time.

Indeed. The *best case scenario* is that a finished atmosphere answers all of nintendo's useage patterns perfectly, and can completely hide the fact that it is not nintendo's software. That is a cat and mouse game, as nintendo could put in "easter eggs" in a new firmware update that they can then query against, or any number of other things to trip up atmosphere pretending to be a more modern version of Horizon.

At worst, Nintendo will determine that there is probable cause to ban your console when it does not properly respond to status queries, or sends anomalous metrics data.

Nintendo holds all the cards on that, and frankly, that is as it should be. Their content distribution system, their checks and balances, their rules. The point of opening up the console is not to pirate software from nintendo, and get your cake too by playing online. The purpose of opening the console is to run anything you want on the console, free of Nintendo's cold clammy hands. This is not exclusive to piracy. There are any number of fun things that could be ported to the NX once there is good GPU support, as it is a pretty powerful little handheld.

Another fun possible outcome of Atmosphere, (since it is a horizon re-write, AND it is FOSS), is a potential port of it to other Tegra based platforms (which have open boot loaders), like the shield or pixel... But let's see how that turns out after Atmosphere gets more mature, and we learn just how much is being reimplemented before we speculate too much on that. :P

benjo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Indeed. The *best case scenario* is that a finished atmosphere answers all of nintendo's useage patterns perfectly, and can completely hide the fact that it is not nintendo's software. That is a cat and mouse game, as nintendo could put in "easter eggs" in a new firmware update that they can then query against, or any number of other things to trip up atmosphere pretending to be a more modern version of Horizon.

It may only needs to do that for one Firmware. It could always pretend to be on that firmware even tho its lower i guess.

Nintendo holds all the cards on that, and frankly, that is as it should be. Their content distribution system, their checks and balances, their rules. The point of opening up the console is not to pirate software from nintendo, and get your cake too by playing online. The purpose of opening the console is to run anything you want on the console, free of Nintendo's cold clammy hands. This is not exclusive to piracy. There are any number of fun things that could be ported to the NX once there is good GPU support, as it is a pretty powerful little handheld.

Well Nintendo does not like homebrew. I dont think they will hold back on anything they can ban. I would not call that morally correct or even a smart business move but its their choice.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia

Last edited by M7L7NK7, , Reason: Thanks Quantum

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn nice, but I'm kinda losing my interest on the Switch it self as I don't like 99% of upcoming games, I will simply keep playing in my PC, I hope they start porting more games like Wolfenstein II and fast as I don't see almost anyone supporting the Switch :(.

Nevercholt

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Damn nice, but I'm kinda losing my interest on the Switch it self as I don't like 99% of upcoming games, I will simply keep playing in my PC, I hope they start porting more games like Wolfenstein II and fast as I don't see almost anyone supporting the Switch :(.

Super Mario Bros, Smas Bros, Mario Party and Pokemon (main series that is) will keep me satisfied tbh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?