Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to me its never niche just like adding a fuse to any device is never a bad thing, but a welcome thing always...

If you don't mess up with the system nand, but mess a lot on the emunand, if it goes bad, no harm will be done (unless is somekind of virus that messes up voltages?) and also what will wear a lot is the mSD leaving the memory nand chip intact.

Last edited by guily6669,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it inclue coldboot/warmboot for 1.0 and 2.x -3.1 in the first release?
Sadly, they are still very vague on those details. One would hope these would be released with 0.7 but they are not giving us much hope. However, since we can now update without burning fuses, we can still hold onto our low firmwares while waiting for those warmboot exploits. Besides, I think I prefer AutoRCM to using a jig/paperclip anyways.

Reactions: charlieb

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND will be a double edged sword. Indispensable for those who use it, but it being mandatory will put off most people who do not.

I know we've got devs saying "emunand is your best bet". However, a part of me fully believes that Nintendo has something up their sleeve this time around. It's a hunch, but we also don't have 100% undeniable proof it'll work like they theorize.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, Emunand is a niche concept that won't matter for ~90% of us already in this mess. Not to mention a huge block of SD space. Everything else will come to just about everything else... So, saying "better than everything else" is jumping the gun, don't you think?
You seemed to have missed "unless they add those too". Until they do add them, atmosphere has the most features planned and is thus going to be better when it has those features until the other cfw adds it.
There is also the chance that other cfw add things that atmosphere doesn't have, but most other cfw have used atmosphere as a base so that says something.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You seemed to have missed "unless they add those too". Until they do add them, atmosphere has the most features planned and is thus going to be better when it has those features until the other cfw adds it.
There is also the chance that other cfw add things that atmosphere doesn't have, but most other cfw have used atmosphere as a base so that says something.

"Unless they add those too" doesn't change what I said. It's still jumping the gun.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND will be a double edged sword. Indispensable for those who use it, but it being mandatory will put off most people who do not.
Atmosphere won't make emuNAND a requirement. 0.7 release won't even include emuNAND, so it works without it
I know we've got devs saying "emunand is your best bet". However, a part of me fully believes that Nintendo has something up their sleeve this time around. It's a hunch, but we also don't have 100% undeniable proof it'll work like they theorize.
If you keep homebrew/piracy in emuNAND and snub out networking, only way to detect it is for Nintendo to do some low-level analysis of the SD. It is possible but I wouldn't say likely.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it doesn't do what other cfws do already because you have to add extras to get it to work.
What features does it have over other existing cfw? Genuine question because i can't see any yet
ReiNX also loads sigpatch from kip. No cfw currently has it standard and built in.

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it doesn't do what other cfws do already because you have to add extras to get it to work.
What features does it have over other existing cfw? Genuine question because i can't see any yet

I see you misunderstand the PURPOSE of atmosphere. Atmosphere is not being developed to facilitate piracy. It's goal is to completely replace Horizon. (or at least, the parts of Horizon that make the switch nintendo's bitch.) This is a very large undertaking, and the work they do will improve the scene for this console TREMENDOUSLY. (For instance, the work they do re-writing the various hidden internals of the system doubles as developer documentation, allowing eg-- RetroNX and pals-- to get accelerated GPU support and pals. It also guarantees that the resulting OS is unable to tattle to Nintendo, or can lie about what system version is installed, and a bunch of other neat things-- because that part of the OS has been / will be completely re-written.)

Atmosphere's development is independent of ReiNX or TX OS. Stop treating it like just another backup loader-- that is NOT what it is for!

afet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I see you misunderstand the PURPOSE of atmosphere. Atmosphere is not being developed to facilitate piracy. It's goal is to completely replace Horizon. (or at least, the parts of Horizon that make the switch nintendo's bitch.) This is a very large undertaking, and the work they do will improve the scene for this console TREMENDOUSLY. (For instance, the work they do re-writing the various hidden internals of the system doubles as developer documentation, allowing eg-- RetroNX and pals-- to get accelerated GPU support and pals. It also guarantees that the resulting OS is unable to tattle to Nintendo, or can lie about what system version is installed, and a bunch of other neat things-- because that part of the OS has been / will be completely re-written.)

Atmosphere's development is independent of ReiNX or TX OS. Stop treating it like just another backup loader-- that is NOT what it is for!

Exactly. It will be a foundation that the entire community can build on. Who will need a specific CFW with a built-in backup loader once we have modular code that can facilitate backup loading? This whole our CFW vs. their CFW rhetoric has become a bit stale. It is time for some unification.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

veddermandan

Trophies
Website
youtu.be
XP
Country
Australia

So again it doesn't do anything that the original os and existing cfw do.
So please explain the purpose or benefits

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ReiNX also loads sigpatch from kip. No cfw currently has it standard and built in.
Yes thats why SX OS is still the best solution
Im open to using the best and easiest solutions
I will gladly and thankfully use Atmosphere if there is a reason to use it

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So again it doesn't do anything that the original os and existing cfw do.
So please explain the purpose or benefits

Horizon, the OS produced by Nintendo for the Switch, is a black box. It does not have documentation without a non-disclosure agreement, and threats of anal penetration by high power lawyers, via the prison system.

Atmosphere is a complete reverse-engineer and replacement of this OS. This includes such sundry things as the TrustZone (how the OS handles keys, internally), and the like. It also includes the metrics collection and sending systems, the filesystem driver stack, and pals. This is a COMPLETE RE-WRITE, not a patch-job, like TX-OS and ReiNS do.

If all you care about is "Running muh Backups!!", Atmosphere is not what you are interested in, and wont be for some time. If you write software for the switch, Atmosphere is very interesting indeed, as the reimplemented features in the new OS can be used as surrogates to produce a free SDK for the platform.

The purpose of Atmosphere is *NOT* to run backups. Never has been, and never will be. The purpose of Atmosphere is to unlock the switch from Nintendo's cold clammy fingers, and put it under user control. It is not ready for that yet, and wont be for some time. When that time comes, it will make the perfect base for a complete and proper CFW that opens the switch wide open. Until that time, if all you care about is playing backups, stick with ReiNS or SX-OS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @SylverReZ