Ataribox Design Revealed

Ataribox1Resize.jpg
The Ataribox, a new console by Atari, has been circulating the net for a while. We finally have confirmation as to what it looks like, and the fact that it will be a modern console, competing with PS4 and Xbox One! It will also support old Atari games, probably through emulation, but that is not Atari's main focus. There are two designs to choose from, the "wood" model and a "red/black" model.
Atari said:
Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports.
AtariWood1Resize.jpg

AtariRed1Resize.jpg
It has also been revealed that the Ataribox will have HDMI, 4 USB ports, and an SD card slot. Below is an image of what the red model looks like from the front and back.
AtariRedBackResize.jpg
More details are to be revealed soon!

:arrow:Source

Dekky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping this system would be a 16 bit retro console with user-friendly built in development and sharing tools with heavy emphasis on indie gaming. Atari could have supported the games through a community voting system and perhaps purchases of highly rated games to support the developers and Atari. They could even sell content asset packs and such, but hopefully police their platform a bit better than Steam. Oh well, a guy can dream I guess.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time to time, I thought of Atari coming back, but I never thought it will seriously happen. It could be successful, but I doubt it is breaking any records.

Considering physical is already a no go (unless they start selling sd cards with games on them :P), I hope this has digital download and not just streaming. Not that I think I will be getting it, but because it would be an even harder sell, if this is just a streaming box.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to be successful, they'll have to fulfill some niche. Can't just be power driven. So I wonder what it'll be. Perhaps a netflix for games machine? Updated retro games? Steam support?

Reactions: Arithmatics

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I came to post. But I read yesterday that someone at Atari confirmed it is based on pc hardware, so not too sure.

Maybe just indie games, but....

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and guess the specs... Octo-Core Media-Tek or All winner, 16gb base model, potential 4k output, and 2- 4gb of ram. I don't expect much from this and I doubt Atari would be willing to take any risk.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and guess the specs... Octo-Core Media-Tek or All winner, 16gb base model, potential 4k output, and 2- 4gb of ram. I don't expect much from this and I doubt Atari would be willing to take any risk.

That or Intel based CPU for TV boxes (I can't remember the model numbers off the top of my head.) close to the same performance though.

I wouldn't mind seeing it based on the S912 chip for the Mali GPU and it's just a solid chip.

Another possibility (really low odds in my opinion) would be the chip in the Shield TV. It's a great system but probably would inflate costs a bit.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember the Jungle? Oh who am I kidding, most of you are entitled millennial that base all their knowledge of videogames due to some random nobody youtuber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_(console)

TL;DR Panasonic saw the 3DS and the Vita and thought "hey, I'm gonna jump in". They canceled the console after less than a year from the announcement. I'm pretty sure it will be the same with this one.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-