AST-U-ROIDS v1.0 Released

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by brienj, Feb 28, 2016.

1. brienj
    OP

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Last edited by brienj, May 21, 2016
    Cybernatus, Techn0, Scuba156 and 14 others like this.

2. Whatnoww

Whatnoww GBAtemp Regular

Jan 27, 2016
    Canada
    Nice. I'm assuming it will also be compiled for 5.5?

3. brienj
    OP

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I said it is coming soon, and when I say it's coming soon, that's what I mean. :D

I don't want to say a release time frame, but I want to release it later tonight.

I am compiling for 5.3.2 and 5.5. Just adding the last thing I want to add, which is the ship blowing up animation. Right now, it has the same boring explosion as the asteroids, and it just doesn't feel like the real Asteroids without the ship breaking apart. I think I got all the physics down, especially in the ship movement and speed.

Whatnoww likes this.
  4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Dude that looks great! If I may make a suggestion though? Since you're drawing to both the gamepad and the TV, it would be cool to do something separate on both of them (either a continuation of the playing field on the TV or a timer counting up showing how long you've stayed alive/what round you're on on the gamepad). Just an idea, but I think that that would take this already cool project to the next level that hasn't really been achieved in homebrew yet :)

brienj likes this.
  5. Coc4tm

Coc4tm WIP Nintendo hacker.

Feb 12, 2016
    France
    fw.img
    In ELF or MP4 ?

6. Coc4tm

Coc4tm WIP Nintendo hacker.

Feb 12, 2016
    France
    fw.img
    Yes , i think but we are not certain

7. Chuardo

Chuardo GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    Uruguay
    That looks crazy good!
    Can't wait to try it really, this looks like the best thing that we will be able to do with the Userland Exploit honestly, it's awesome.

brienj and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  8. brienj
    OP

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I am about 0x10 bytes away from making it a .mp4. :D

Finding the last bit of code to make more efficient.

I like the challenge of fitting it into a 20k binary now. Brings back the old days of programming when I was a teenager, programming on a C64.

This uses no special graphics, it's all on the frame buffers,

9. brienj
    OP

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I've got it all finished, but it's getting late, I need some sleep. I'll package it up after I wake up. Sure would be nice to eventually make stuff that can save or load from a SD or USB. Kind of disappointing that it's a pain to set something up over the network, just to save high scores or something, and definitely not easy for your end users. All because people think that piracy is the ONLY thing anyone could do if they had the means to access a SD card or USB drive on this console in their code. Ugh.

I might improve this game later as an ELF file, but most of the fun doing this is making it fit in the memory you can use. The funny thing is that I don't even have every letter mapped out in my vector library, mostly to save space, but also because it's pointless when entering your initials only lasts for the one session until you close the game.

oumoumad, ploggy and Voxel like this.
  10. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Lookin' good! The physics in particular are very interesting, looking forward to playing!

brienj likes this.
  11. brienj
    OP

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I Google-Fu'd the actual real physics they used, as far as max speed for the ship and bullets, and kind of tweaked it until the acceleration of the ship felt right. I personally think that it emulates the physics of the ship and bullets, in particular, really well. The asteroids on the other hand, I just kind of made their physics fit, and it works and is close enough. I am about to experiment on having the asteroids actually tilt in the direction they are going, right now, it just looks too bland, although the original was kind of bland in the graphics anyway, right?

I knew I said I would release when I woke up, but while I slept, I came up with some good ideas to compact the space back down, and it has worked so far, so I may be able to add the ability to change the difficulty or even a second player. I have left code in that would make adding a second player easy, I just have implemented it yet.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    This looks cool. Will be the first homebrew that i actually want to try to run on 5.5 wii u. Im fed up with waiting for bigger things.......

brienj likes this.
  13. brienj
    OP

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I reworked my code and shaved off 2k and can add a few more things. I at least want to add a difficulty setting,

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. H3llbender

H3llbender Cancer

Jun 1, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Why not compile it to .elf? That way you can add whatever you want, and it's much more stable.

15. brienj
    OP

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Can I save a highscore list on the SD card? Nope. So, I will be able to add everything I want in a bin file. I don't need an ELF file, that will just make it more bloated than I need to. By coding the way I am, setting a limit on the size, it forces me to code more efficiently and not be lazy. I am finishing the menu system right now, and then it will be done. I'm right at the end of testing the menu out.

Chuardo and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  16. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Glad to see you're adhering to Nintendo's unspoken philosophy for the Wii U lol

Whatnoww and Chuardo like this.
  17. Chuardo

Chuardo GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    Uruguay
    At least we don't have 20GB Updates for our games, I guess.

Whatnoww and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    Can't unsee
    [​IMG]

brienj likes this.
  19. brienj
    OP

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Someone caught it. LOL

My wife also hates the hyperspace button in the game, so I made two of the face buttons control the hyperspace. :D

I fully admit I am a dick and do things like that on purpose.

20. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    @brienj hit me up when its done fella , ill add it to my site and offline pack.. looks amazing btw.. nostalgia overload..

brienj likes this.