Assorted issues with roms while using Moonshell v2

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by liquidaluminum, Aug 15, 2010.

1. liquidaluminum
    OP

Newcomer liquidaluminum Newbie

United States
    Hello all,

First let me start off by saying that this board has been a god send in regards to helping me prep and get my DSi up and running using my new R4 card. That being said, let me jump to the issues that I'm running into and see if anyone has any ideas.

I'm only going to list a few games that I've noticed this issue having with, but maybe someone else has had the same issues...the games experiencing problems are as follows

New Super Mario Brothers
    Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks

All of these games load exactly as they should. They start up and enter game just fine, but as soon as I have to create a new save file, and the game saves my info, it goes to dual black screens and loads no further. At first I thought that it was a problem with rom until the exact same issue happened with all of the games listed above. I'm not sure if others are involved but these are the only ones that generated the same problem.

I currently have a legit R4i Revolution card using Moonshell v2. Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or is this a common issue with these games? I've searched the net and haven't been able to find anything about people having an issue with games crashing to black screen after creating an initial save / user data file. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I have no issue with any of the emulators that I have installed. My NES, SNES and Sega emulators all work like a charm, the only issues that I have are coming from the DS roms when ran in Moonshell.

2. RoyalCardMan

Member RoyalCardMan DS App Studio™ Developer

United States
    Did you DLDI patch the ROMs?

Try DLDI patching the ROMs and see how it goes.

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    OBJECTION!

4. liquidaluminum
    OP

United States
    This is where I'm going to go uber noob. I have no idea how to do that. I've heard about it, but I've yet to find a guide or instructions on how to do so. Any info?

5. RoyalCardMan

United States
  6. liquidaluminum
    OP

United States
    Last question. Is there anything I can do when I try to patch the rom and it says "does not have a dldi section"? I only ask because I know that people are able to play New Super Mario Brothers on their cards with no issues, just trying to find out what's so screwy with mine.

7. RoyalCardMan

United States
    Hmm...I don't know that part.

When did you get the error when you were DLDI patching the ROMs.?

8. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Um...yeah...about that. You can't DLDI patch ROMs -_-"....DLDI is for homebrew...it wouldn't make sense to have something made by homebrew coders to have any connection to the ability for ROMs to work...especially when there isn't a publicly accessable Nintendo DS SDK.

9. liquidaluminum
    OP

United States
    Yes, it happened as I was trying to DLDI patch the roms.

10. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    -_-" Ok, there IS NO DLDI section in a commercial NDS ROM. DLDI is for HOMEBREW. For your games to work, try using either the latest of your flashcart's firmware or try setting up ysmenu if possible (with all of the updated files). Please don't try to continue the conversation about dldi patching commercial ROMs, because it just won't do ANYTHING USEFUL and the final result of that will always end up with "does not have a dldi section".
    I have no idea where RoyalCardMan is getting his strange information from, but it's completely WRONG. The dldi patcher is telling you exactly how it is, commercial nds ROMs don't "have a dldi section".

11. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

that is funny... Commercial ROMS aren't homebrews... and Commercial ROMS dont need DLDI..

why? because its "totally" unnecessary.

12. RoyalCardMan

United States
    Sorry, I use Games&Music.

Sorry about that. [​IMG]